Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Get a new key or live dangerously? Poll

Should I get a new key?

• Yes

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters
You may be able to find a cheaper key, but not much. Call a local locksmith. I paid $150 to have a a key and a fob programmed. Dealer wanted $200.

The money you spend on a key and programming is better than the time and money you’ll spend for a lockout or a tow bill.
This reminds me of locking myself out of my Tundra last December. -10 out in western North Dakota. I called the locksmith and he gave me attitude about traveling to where I was so I told him to F himself. I then proceeded to absolutely destroy the top of my door and frame using whatever I could find to try and reach inside to hit the unlock button.

After 2 hours of trying to let myself in I caused $500 of damage to my door and then called the locksmith, apologized, and cut him a check for $75.

Last edited:
Haven’t read the whole thread. BUT, get the key.

I work at a grain elevator and was running late one day. Got to work and slipped my keys in my jacket pocket and started the elevator for the day. First truck hopper was being opened when I heard something fall out of my pocket and hit the grate. Looked down to see some Halloween candy on the floor next to the grate. Didn’t realize at that moment that my keys also went down. No magnets or traps caught them.

I’ve had this truck since 2018. Only one ignition key. One key for the topper on it. BuhBye.

Needed my truck that weekend and the closest locksmith (1.5 hours away). Charged me $450 for the service call, mileage, two new ignition keys and two new topper. Definitely paid the stupid tax on that one. Should have paid for a spare years ago.

My Xterra is a 2006, dunno your Jeep year. I can buy the fobs online, and programming is a YouTube video.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back