Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bow hunt or boom stick?

Rifle hunt or archery hunt

• Rifle

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Archery

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters
Keep practicing, sounds like you're relatively experienced with bow, atleast to get started you need to shoot that much with a rifle. You can get proficient in a few boxes, but 50 or 100 boxes and you'll start to really understand your process, the gun, reading condition etc.

As for the question about the 2 different weapons hunts. They're 2 Totally different experiences, in my opinion that question should be about what kind of experience you're going for.

Good luck

Or take both (in the rifle unit) if it’s plausible. Taking my bow for elk in Idaho this year if they’re still talking (they were last year). Gonna give that a go for 3-4 days and then switch to rifle if I feel like it. Either way, have fun!!

🤣 spell check turned “rifle” to “rocks” Siri must have seen me shoot before!

Alright so most of you ladies and guys know me as an ultra sendy oyoaer most notably remembered for riding out the ides of March in a tent professionally staked out atop 3’ of snow in Colorado’s rugged Nuchu range and riding some of the biggest black bowls in summit county, but despite all of my mountain athlete accolades the truth is, I’m a rookie hunter at best.

Did I harvest my first deer via shotgun as an 11 year old?
Duh.
Have I had a bow since then?
yep.
Am I from a hunting family?
Nope.
Did I take a hunting hiatus from like 14-27?
Yes.
Have I killed deer and elk with my bow in the past 3 years?
you know it.
was it luck?
Depends on who’s listening and what kind of mood I’m in when I’m telling the story
have I lost more deer than I’m proud of?
yes and it sucks 🤦‍♂️

Now that you ladies and guys know a little about me, here’s my question.

Should I bow hunt a unit I’m familiar with next year or rifle hunt a unit I’ve never been in?

The obvious advantage of the bow hunt is that I’ve been in this unit multiple times over the past 3 years and at least somewhat know my way around and know spots where I’ve seen deer.
It’s also an either sex tag and I’d be perfectly fine with taking a doe.
The obvious disadvantage is that I’d be using a well engineered sling shot as a harvesting tool and need to be able to sneak within 40 yards of my target.
And then there’s blood trailing...
I’ve feel like I’ve gotten better at it over the past few years, but it’s still just kinda nerve wracking to me and I don’t necessarily enjoy it.

The obvious advantage of the rifle hunt would be that I’m using a freaking rifle.
the disadvantage would be that I’ve never really shot a fancy western hunting rifle and I’ve only got like 60 practice rounds and 80 hunting rounds to get it sighted in this summer.
I ran a lot of bb’s through my daisy as a kid. I’ve smoked 20-30 squirrels over the past couple years with my shotgun.
I guess I could get proficient enough with the rifle over the next 6 months to pull this off?

If I draw the rifle tag I plan on taking a 1 to 2 week scouting trip this July to try to get familiar with the area and hopefully spot some deer.

I’m leaning towards the rifle tag, but as an EBHA I just can’t help but feel like maybe the gun’s just an excuse.

Is rifle hunting basketball and bow hunting’s wrestling?

Lmk what you ladies and guys think.

Hope everyone’s having a fabulous day!
Happy April! ☀️ 🌸 🌷
Bow hunt 👍🏽

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back