Bow hunt or boom stick?

Rifle hunt or archery hunt

• Rifle

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Archery

Votes: 23 41.8%

• Total voters

DouglasR

Alright so most of you ladies and guys know me as an ultra sendy oyoaer most notably remembered for riding out the ides of March in a tent professionally staked out atop 3’ of snow in Colorado’s rugged Nuchu range and riding some of the biggest black bowls in summit county, but despite all of my mountain athlete accolades the truth is, I’m a rookie hunter at best.

Did I harvest my first deer via shotgun as an 11 year old?
Duh.
Have I had a bow since then?
yep.
Am I from a hunting family?
Nope.
Did I take a hunting hiatus from like 14-27?
Yes.
Have I killed deer and elk with my bow in the past 3 years?
you know it.
was it luck?
Depends on who’s listening and what kind of mood I’m in when I’m telling the story
have I lost more deer than I’m proud of?
yes and it sucks 🤦‍♂️

Now that you ladies and guys know a little about me, here’s my question.

Should I bow hunt a unit I’m familiar with next year or rifle hunt a unit I’ve never been in?

The obvious advantage of the bow hunt is that I’ve been in this unit multiple times over the past 3 years and at least somewhat know my way around and know spots where I’ve seen deer.
It’s also an either sex tag and I’d be perfectly fine with taking a doe.
The obvious disadvantage is that I’d be using a well engineered sling shot as a harvesting tool and need to be able to sneak within 40 yards of my target.
And then there’s blood trailing...
I’ve feel like I’ve gotten better at it over the past few years, but it’s still just kinda nerve wracking to me and I don’t necessarily enjoy it.

The obvious advantage of the rifle hunt would be that I’m using a freaking rifle.
the disadvantage would be that I’ve never really shot a fancy western hunting rifle and I’ve only got like 60 practice rounds and 80 hunting rounds to get it sighted in this summer.
I ran a lot of bb’s through my daisy as a kid. I’ve smoked 20-30 squirrels over the past couple years with my shotgun.
I guess I could get proficient enough with the rifle over the next 6 months to pull this off?

If I draw the rifle tag I plan on taking a 1 to 2 week scouting trip this July to try to get familiar with the area and hopefully spot some deer.

I’m leaning towards the rifle tag, but as an EBHA I just can’t help but feel like maybe the gun’s just an excuse.

Is rifle hunting basketball and bow hunting’s wrestling?

Lmk what you ladies and guys think.

Hope everyone’s having a fabulous day!
Happy April! ☀️ 🌸 🌷

If the rifle hunting area is in Western US or anywhere in open ground where you’ll be shooting long distance, you need to start going to the range and practicing now. Many many variables in long distance rifle shooting and getting to know your bullet and your equipment is key. It has taken me many years to be confident at anything over 500 yards.

If the rifle hunting area is in Western US or anywhere in open ground where you’ll be shooting long distance, you need to start going to the range and practicing now. Many many variables in long distance rifle shooting and getting to know your bullet and your equipment is key. It has taken me many years to be confident at anything over 500 yards.
I don’t intend on taking any “long range” shots.
What distance would you try to get proficient out to?
I was thinking like 200yds 🤷‍♂️

And how many rounds do you think a guy needs to get proficient?
Obviously ammunition availability is playing a big factor in this.
I can shoot out my back door and I want to, but yeah... I’ve got like 140 bullets.

If you have the space practice at twice the distance you will hunting at if possible. If you can make that 400 yard shot all the time in all conditions, your odds will greatly improve when the pressure is on at 200. Practice actual hunting positions and not off a bench, You will never have a bench when you are out in the field. Shooting off a backpack, a tripod or Bipod, using trees and rocks for support will really help. Shoot as much as possible, I understand that may be difficult given the ability to find components at this time.

It is really a personal preference. I do both but I prefer the boom stick.

When people ask me why I only hunt with a rifle, I just say I like the "boooooom".
In reality, it is just a way more efficient way to hunt. You gotta get pretty proficient before you are shooting even 200-300 yards in a hunting situation though. I think a lot of us take that skill for granted because we have been doing it for so long.

If you think the game you'll see and the opportunities would be similar, I'd go rifle. I don't know the success rates, but fairly certain rifle are higher. Maybe look into that for each unit if they have the info.

I have to agree with others, been hunting the west my entire life and my longest shot has been around 300, most probably under 200. Now there have been times when I missed an opportunity that had I practiced at long range more I would have had a shot at something, but I was ok with that. I have been working on my shooting and rifle setup to reach out further, but its not a deal breaker.

A couple ideas to get more proficient with the rifle. I'd go buy a 22LR. They're cheap compared to your big game rifle. You can practice fundamentals that will easily transfer over. I'd also start dry firing practice with your big game rifle. Go take a rifle shooting course. Getting instruction and basics down will help you advance much faster.

I don’t intend on taking any “long range” shots.
What distance would you try to get proficient out to?
I was thinking like 200yds 🤷‍♂️
I take em as I get em. 50 yard shot or 600 yard shot the meat tastes the same. As RedShot mentions, having proficiency at longer ranges just gives you more opportunity so you increase your success rate. So many hunters have been busted trying to do that final sneak to get closer. I bow hunt too but I hate injuring animals I don’t harvest so I do more with a boomstick.

I really like the rifle but there is something special about being successful with a bow with the added challenge.

What will you enjoy more? Who gives a shit what we think?

Are you concerned about what will give you the best bet to fill the freezer?
I think this is essentially my question.
Due to a lot of different reasons ie being inappropriately obsessed with skiing and winter camping, last year was the first in 4 that I didn’t harvest a deer so I’m in a bit of a “meat crisis”.
The success rate of the rifle tag is more than 3 times that of the archery.

But I’ve just never been there and I essentially have no idea what I’m doing so yeah it’s just so nerve wracking.
such big life decisions. Lol

If I draw the archery tag it gives me all month to try if I can not be a sissy.
The rifle tag’s like a week, but it would give me a good reason to get another backpacking/scouting trip under my belt over the summer before trying the real thing again.

if the rifle tag was either sex it would be a no brainer.

omg these big adult decisions

Last edited:
If you're just looking to fill a freezer, Rifle OTC or easily drawn doe tags. I'm guessing close to 100% success rates on people who actually try to fill.

If I have to fill the freezer, grabbing the rifle every time.

When I want frustration, I'm grabbing the bow and stalking antelope.

Calling bull elk in is the ultimate hunting fun, that's mostly bow.

I enjoy both!

I’m in the same conundrum - I vote archery.

A bow hunt begins where a rifle hunt ends; true test of skill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back