Caribou Gear Tarp

Self imposed weapon restrictions for hunting?

A lifelong hunter, now 69 years old, I've evolved from trying every possible method of hunting, to rifle stand hunting. I casually hunt my way to my ground blind stand in the morning and hunt until the last legal light. The secret is being a good enough outdoorsman for being in the right spot, at the right time, for ground blind hunting. Never limit yourself. Pick what's right for you at the right time of life and never be afraid to evolve.

It really depends on where you are. Hunting out west I have had trips in open areas you just can’t get closer than 300 yards.It’s illegal to bait and the areas are just too open. Some goat and ram hunts I have been on you need to shoot 800 plus yards. I have two rifles for those areas that are good to 1000 yds. Those hunts are very challenging and fun. A shotgun in those areas wouldn’t work very well. If I’m going hunting with my buddy Jimmy in East Texas or Les in Oklahoma I’m happy with my open sight 99 lever action .303 or a bow. Heck I’m not even against taking my crossbow. They are fun too and I don’t care what anybody says about it. I really like the idea of a shotgun the right areas—it sounds fun! I think we should all hunt with what we want to and not think we are holier than thou if someone hunts differently.

It’s definitely whatever works for the area you hunt. Last year I shot a deer with a 308 at 45 yards…destroyed way too much meat. That got me thinking…why do I need a rifle to make a shot like that. I’ve been over the “trophy” aspect of hunting the last few years and I’m more concerned with the meals it provides. So I hunted bow season with a Xbow..( I tried using my compound but the back isn’t ready and I didn’t have the time to put in the proper practice)…granny’s shotgun and I also have a .300 blackout that gets the job done and doesn’t obliterate the meat.
To each his own though…it’s fun to change things up. I’m sure in the future I’ll be back to chasing a trophy that catches my attention, might even be toting the .308 again, or 06, .444 marlin is available as well.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back