Generosity to non-residents

Yep, you are right. I got an answer just a bit ago. You would have to forego your lifetime license in your former home state to get resident licenses in Colorado.
Don't know of any others that do this but wouldn't be surprised.
I'm betting some former residents of a certain state don't know this.

They did also link the law, which I had read.

I have to say, I don't really care. I'm sure I am in the minority. Ohio used to charge darn near the same for nonresidents as they did for residents. I think it was shortly after the Beatty buck made the news that Ohio jacked up the non-resident prices. But they are still all over the counter, and you can shoot up to 4 as a non-resident (I think), to make your trip worthwhile.

For the guys complaining about CO giving out so many non-residents tags, have you figured out how much money that brings into your state every year? $700/tag plus license. Then all the money they spend while there. Do you want to turn that away??

Yep, you are right. I got an answer just a bit ago. You would have to forego your lifetime license in your former home state to get resident licenses in Colorado.
Don't know of any others that do this but wouldn't be surprised.
I'm betting some former residents of a certain state don't know this.

They did also link the law, which I had read.
Interesting. Glad you checked. I don't think this would apply to ID lifetime holders, however. ID explicitly states in their rules that once a lifetime license holder moves out of state he or she has to have his or her license switched to a nonresident license. Also, if a lifetime license holder moves out of state, he or she still has to pay full price for their tags, which are actual nonresident tags.

I imagine every state offering lifetime licenses are different in exactly how that looks, but I think CO would have a hard time prosecuting an ID lifetime license holder when their actual Idaho license will read "nonresident license" and their elk tag will be a "nonresident elk tag."

I have to say, I don't really care. I'm sure I am in the minority. Ohio used to charge darn near the same for nonresidents as they did for residents. I think it was shortly after the Beatty buck made the news that Ohio jacked up the non-resident prices. But they are still all over the counter, and you can shoot up to 4 as a non-resident (I think), to make your trip worthwhile.

For the guys complaining about CO giving out so many non-residents tags, have you figured out how much money that brings into your state every year? $700/tag plus license. Then all the money they spend while there. Do you want to turn that away??
Colorado makes bank on tourists, small towns in any state will not dry up if NR licenses are cut. The same number of folks will be hunting and spending money, residents spend too and many times it is for multiple trips for scouting and then hunting not just 1 hunting trip.

Yesterday I went out with my daughter to enjoy some of the beautiful Wyoming outdoors. Headed up to Jelm and pulled into our usual spot by the river. There were 4 trucks in the lot. I was the only one from Wyoming. The other 3 were from Colorado.

So these guys were up here using our public land and aside from the fishing license they probably did not spend any $ in Wyoming. At best maybe a burger and fuel in Laramie on the way home.

I know in this part of the state outdoor places are overrun with Colorado folks trying to escape their mess. I am all for getting NR's to pay more for using the public land in Wyoming. Go for a weekend to somewhere like Curt Gowdy or Glendo and you see the issue with NR's.

Hunting is a bit different so I am not sure they are the real issue but its' certainly a concern. The hikers are the ones who get to use the land for the least investment.

Maybe NR's need to pay extra to hunt state land, WMA's, etc... Maybe limiting NR's on public land like South Dakota has done is the answer.

I tend to like the idea of no more NR's in the draw, but resident tags are transferable. lol. So if a NR want's to hunt they have to pay a R for their tag. jk.

I don't know if this went through but it's one option that could be looked at.

yeah......you're just regurgitating a sentiment that out of state hunters pass around in order to give themselves value. Don't need your $.

I like the idea of keeping things simple. Make nonresident license 2x or 3x times the price of a resident license and cap NR at 10% with no outfitter crap.

For most states in the west, NR fees compose the lion share of state Fish and Game budgets.

It's difficult to separate hunting and fishing out from tourism in general but here are some stats.

Tourism is the #2 industry in WY
1652719771749.png

Tourism in general ~$240 Million in Tax Revenue

1652720328422.png

This is a really interesting chart. I wonder whether ag or tourism holds more sway in the Wyoming legislature? I have a feeling that would be an inverse relationship...

Interesting. Glad you checked. I don't think this would apply to ID lifetime holders, however. ID explicitly states in their rules that once a lifetime license holder moves out of state he or she has to have his or her license switched to a nonresident license. Also, if a lifetime license holder moves out of state, he or she still has to pay full price for their tags, which are actual nonresident tags.

I imagine every state offering lifetime licenses are different in exactly how that looks, but I think CO would have a hard time prosecuting an ID lifetime license holder when their actual Idaho license will read "nonresident license" and their elk tag will be a "nonresident elk tag."
I agree. Paying NR tag fees in ID with a lifetime license and being a legal resident of CO buying resident tags is not violating any law. ID lifetime licenses are issued as non-resident licenses and you pay NR tag fees if you move out of Idaho.

NR's in Wyoming compose a majority of license revenue, not over-all budget.

Colorado makes bank on tourists, small towns in any state will not dry up if NR licenses are cut. The same number of folks will be hunting and spending money, residents spend too and many times it is for multiple trips for scouting and then hunting not just 1 hunting trip.
Economics 101
The residents spend their money there because, oh yeah, they live there. Not all non residents only make one hunting trip. I’d have to think hard but I’m pretty sure in 2020 I drove to WY 5 times from WA, spending money every time I was there. And elk hunting every time. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one that does so. Maybe not apples to apples, but it would be detrimental to any state to turn away NR for any activity.

Last edited:
You would be the exception with 5 trips.
I'm just saying resident dollars are the same as NR dollars and the license numbers will be the same just different folks using them.
For sure the money is welcome but small towns will not dry up with reductions in NR licenses.
Why not reward residents that spend and support local economies year round ? They will also spend money on their hunts, just like NRs.

I also suspect when NR dollars are tallied they include the price of a guided and outfitted hunts and I know for sure many of those hunters do not spend big dollars in small local towns, they go to camp and stay there for the hunt. They may buy fuel when hitting town and leaving, maybe a celebration dinner and drinks.
Many residents make more than trip to the area, buy fuel for the scouting and hunting vehicle at local stations, buy their food at the local grocery store, may stay at a local hotel and eat at a local restaurant every day.
NRs have the added cost of fuel for their travel and save money by bringing anything they can from home to help with hunt costs, food etc.
All generalizations of course, always exceptions.

even colorado with its exhorbitant numbers of NRs...

compared to the skiing industry, the national parks, the fishing, the rafting, the camping, the conventions, the professional sports, etc etc etc etc etc

estes park undoubtedly brings more paying non hunting "NRs" through it than hunting alone every year. the economy hardly blinks at NR hunters i suspect.

the CPW budget tho... that's who blinks at paying NRs, big time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back