Generosity to non-residents

If you believe that garbage...you'll believe anything.

Lets keep it real, WYOGA paid a firm to sway their "study" and is years old, funded via a couple commission tags.

You believe hunters spend 5 million on ammo a year in Wyoming...going to have to call BS on that.

20,000,000 on vehicles, strictly for hunting? Yeah, not buying that one either.

A million on maps? Whatever.
I am a pretty suspect of those numbers also. I don’t have any misplaced allusions that NR hunters are keeping these economies alive either. But wllm brings up a good question: Why even bother to allow NR hunters? If they provide no significant positive impact to local economies and the shortfall in G&F budgets can easily be made up by resident hunters, what’s the point? We know that NR hunters are the primary contributor to overcrowding also.

I bet a task force could take care of this…..

My understanding is various groups mean a ton of business for a minority of the population... but to those business owners they are everything. As far as NR hunters, sure #1 are outfitters/guides.

I'm sure if your renting snowmobiles, doing tours, selling gas, etc that snowmobilers provide a huge boon during the winter... Cindy at the flower store could probably give a crap and thinks there loud.

To that end if you cut a bunch of NR hunting most people don't notice, some lose like 5% of sales, but you put a handle of folks out on the street.
What businesses are you referring to specifically?

What businesses do you think NR hunters employ that would otherwise be "on the street"?

I live here and can't really think of examples of what you are referring to aside from Taxidermist.

What businesses do you think NR hunters employ that would otherwise be "on the street"?

I live here and can't really think of examples of what you are referring to aside from Taxidermist.
Even taxidermist's are mostly funded by residents...talk to them.

Most guys have their own taxidermists they go to, not all but I bet its more then 50%.

I am a pretty suspect of those numbers also. I don’t have any misplaced allusions that NR hunters are keeping these economies alive either. But wllm brings up a good question: Why even bother to allow NR hunters? If they provide no significant positive impact to local economies and the shortfall in G&F budgets can easily be made up by resident hunters, what’s the point? We know that NR hunters are the primary contributor to overcrowding also.

I don't mind NR's hunting in Wyoming, just think that Residents should get the nod on 90% of the LQ tags.

Nobody can argue that NR hunters, and more so fishermen, bring in a lot of $$$.

Its just when compared to the amount of tourism that fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. bring in...there is really no comparison.

Lose Yellowstone Park, tourism is going to hurt, businesses will close their doors.

Lose 6-10% of the LQ NR's hunters...nobody is going out of business over that, including outfitters.

i can think of a restaurant in yampa colorado that might start struggling without the hunting crowd. i dunno tho. it might not.

to play devils advocate, i'm not sure that over crowding is entirely due to NRs. NRs are largely stuck with their quotas from the tag allocations from game and fish. maybe in colorado where elk hunting is truly over the counter unlimited for every NR and NR alien alike.

but we also have a metric chit ton of resident hunters...

Guides are the first that come to mind.

Hey seems like folks in all western states are livid about NR. If you just want to hunt your state and want 10-20% more tags then go for it and tell your commission to eliminate NR hunting.

I don't mind NR's hunting in Wyoming, just think that Residents should get the nod on 90% of the LQ tags.

Nobody can argue that NR hunters, and more so fishermen, bring in a lot of $$$.

Its just when compared to the amount of tourism that fishing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. bring in...there is really no comparison.

Lose Yellowstone Park, tourism is going to hurt, businesses will close their doors.

Lose 6-10% of the LQ NR's hunters...nobody is going out of business over that, including outfitters.
Why not all? Why give them 10%?

Been following this topic and will contribute some of my info. In 2021 i traveled more than 18000 miles hunting 6 weeks in spring, little over 3 months in fall. Rest of hunting for enitre year was from home. Never stayed in a hotel during any of that travel! Mostly sleep in trailer but few friends houses and tent nights. I am a frugal traveler as that savings buys me more tags/fuel/mounts/rifles/toys etc. My goal is to keep expenses as low as possible. Example; I am about to head into idaho for 2 weeks of bear hunting in town near my hunt i will spend less than $50 on ice and groceries(preshop here at wally) and couple hundred dollars in fuel and $20 on a pizza at midway point. I know this as i have been doing this for years every spring. If i didnt go to this same idaho town it wouldnt miss my dollars at all, i dont think NRs contribute as much as people want to make it appear.
And then you have folks that go and drop a few grand in a couple of weeks…I know very few folks personally who travel as frugal as what you describe.

Last edited:
If considered from an additive/compensatory standpoint, any loss of NR hunting revenue would be considered an additive loss, in that it would be a direct reduction of profit that wouldn't be replaced with another income source. Would it put most rural businesses out of business with no NR hunters? Maybe some, but that's beside the point, very few businesses want to just stay in business, they want to maximize profit and removing any source of income is a loss. More mountain bikers and bird watchers aren't going to show up if there's no NR hunters. Residents might get some of the LQ tags going to residents and spread some money around, but would never come close to his the income lost to all the OTC hunters that wouldn't spend a penny in the state if they didn't have a tag.

If you don't think every dollar is important you've never ran a small business in a small town.

Last edited:
Even taxidermist's are mostly funded by residents...talk to them.

Most guys have their own taxidermists they go to, not all but I bet its more then 50%.
I work with plenty of them through Skull Bracket but have never asked about a breakdown on R's vs NR's. I suspect is varies as some work with ranches/outfitters which are NR' hunters and others are more where the locals go.

The point I was making was NR hunters supporting jobs like wllm suggested. A taxidermist can be supported year round by NR hunters who are only in town for a week. He can work on their stuff all year and make a living. For the motel, restaurant, gas station, etc type of businesses NR hunters really can't have that much impact when they are only in town for a week.

I work with plenty of them through Skull Bracket but have never asked about a breakdown on R's vs NR's. I suspect is varies as some work with ranches/outfitters which are NR' hunters and others are more where the locals go.

The point I was making was NR hunters supporting jobs like wllm suggested. A taxidermist can be supported year round by NR hunters who are only in town for a week. He can work on their stuff all year and make a living. For the motel, restaurant, gas station, etc type of businesses NR hunters really can't have that much impact when they are only in town for a week.
A loss is a loss period. And MANY of the businesses you are referring to operate on very thin margins to begin with. Nobody said these places would sink. But do jobs rely on it? Sure. Restaurant A, hiring Bridget, loses say even 5% revenue, has to look at whether they can keep her on so she can feed little Timmy and Sally. Therefore, her job relies on every bit of revenue they make, no matter where it comes from

What’s the point of NR hun

1. No important economic value
2. Fees don't matter
3. Crowding

So why have any NR hunting? If you can't come up with a reason then keeping it is illogical.

@BuzzH said 10%... is that number just pulled out of thin air?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guides are the first that come to mind.

Hey seems like folks in all western states are livid about NR. If you just want to hunt your state and want 10-20% more tags then go for it and tell your commission to eliminate NR hunting.
Guides?? lol. Those are seasonal jobs at best. I could not come up with many examples either.

NR hunters are not creating jobs by showing up, or "putting folks out in the streets" if they don't show up.

Seems like you may have exaggerated that part.

What’s the point of NR hun

1. No important economic value
2. Fees don't matter
3. Crowding

So why have any NR hunting? If you can't come up with a reason then keeping it is illogical.

@BuzzH said 10%... is that number just pulled out of thin air?

Stop dancing around and just say you think we should eliminate NR hunting already.

You are being overly dramatic.

You made some claims about NR hunters creating jobs and people on the streets.

But can't really name what jobs NR hunters are creating.

If you think of some let us know as I thought about it and I could not come up with any jobs NR hunters create in Laramie or Centennial.

Wllm,
"but you put a handle of folks out on the street."
You are being overly dramatic.

You made some claims about NR hunters creating jobs and people on the streets.

But can't really name what jobs NR hunters are creating.

If you think of some let us know as I thought about it and I could not come up with any jobs NR hunters create in Laramie or Centennial.
Not create, maintain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back