Generosity to non-residents

I like the NR opportunity aspect of all this. However, I feel first and foremost any state should take care of their herd and resident hunters first. I know Colorado is a badass place with lots of habitats. If too many hunters are crowding vs taking too many animals, well I would think the biologist would solve that issue. With Montana as the thread started, I feel like asking the right questions to the local authorities and trying to figure out in your own mind what is too much or too little. I am also one of the people that can't wrap my head around the fact deer numbers must be low because I am not seeing them in my hunting spots. Which is typically far from the truth. Once it was new neighbor kids that played in their side of the woods daily. To which I backed out, I remember those years. My point seems as your buddy needs you to do this research and present it in a friendly manner. Sounds like he as well as I would be blaming NR overcrowding for success or animal numbers. Easy to do.

Yeah no kidding... what % of residents are hunting their own land?

Go down to your local motel or restaurant in counties where most tourism is hunting/fishing related. If they don't tell you 10 to 1 NR to R then I own you a 6pack.
According to most Wyoming residents, non residents don't spend any money in Wyoming and all the nr dependent businesses are lying about the ratio
From what I understand from several discussions On this sight .. Nr bring all their own food & fuel camp instead of paying for motels, shoot all the cows does raghorns spikes.... use the if it's brown it's down motto, and leave tons of trash. Because the residents would never do any of that
I know a couple Wyoming residents that have the motto hunting season closes around April.

Not sure where you're going with the residents hunting their own land part ?

I know what I see when we're staying at the small town motel while on our hunting trips , mostly resident plates. However this is in Wyoming.
I would ask you to go down and talk with folks about summer tourism and hunting season tourism.
Summer tourists are there to spend money around the area, hunters are looking for game.
I asked my good friend in a small Wyoming town just that, he told me by far more tourists spending money in town during summer than fall hunters any year. He is the head brewer at a local establishment in a tourist and hunter hot spot in Wyoming. He is also a hunter.
Hunters are thrifty for the most part, tourists not so much unless they are families on a budget trip.
Most towns that have hunting related tourism also have summer tourism, for months out of the year. The outdoors is drawing all kinds of folks these days, not just hunters. Small towns will adjust. Fishing revenue will not change.

wllm I'd buy you a beer any time you get through Laramie.

The point on CPW relying on the NR $ is a good point though.

I'm saying I'd be curious what portion of WY Resident tags are used on private land.
For buck, bull, and bear tags, I'd wager very few by percentage. Cow/calf and doe/fawn tags I would expect a substantial uptick, whether through access yes or personal relationships.

Been following this topic and will contribute some of my info. In 2021 i traveled more than 18000 miles hunting 6 weeks in spring, little over 3 months in fall. Rest of hunting for enitre year was from home. Never stayed in a hotel during any of that travel! Mostly sleep in trailer but few friends houses and tent nights. I am a frugal traveler as that savings buys me more tags/fuel/mounts/rifles/toys etc. My goal is to keep expenses as low as possible. Example; I am about to head into idaho for 2 weeks of bear hunting in town near my hunt i will spend less than $50 on ice and groceries(preshop here at wally) and couple hundred dollars in fuel and $20 on a pizza at midway point. I know this as i have been doing this for years every spring. If i didnt go to this same idaho town it wouldnt miss my dollars at all, i dont think NRs contribute as much as people want to make it appear.

According to most Wyoming residents, non residents don't spend any money in Wyoming and all the nr dependent businesses are lying about the ratio
From what I understand from several discussions On this sight .. Nr bring all their own food & fuel camp instead of paying for motels, shoot all the cows does raghorns spikes.... use the if it's brown it's down motto, and leave tons of trash. Because the residents would never do any of that
I know a couple Wyoming residents that have the motto hunting season closes around April.
Not at all, but the argument NR are keeping small towns alive just doesn't fly with me. Those of us that live in hunting communities see what comes in, every year.
From what I get , "on this sight(site)" Nrs hunters are keeping every small, town alive in Colorado and Wyoming.
Just don't buy it. If a town is near the mountains or good hunting it will have scenery that attracts tourists. Tourism is increasing every year now, it will make up for the drop in NR hunters.

I just think Rs will pick up some of the slack on spending if the licenses go to residents, not all by any means. Towns will not dry up.

drifter I know some NR that have stated might as well just go poach if we can't draw a tag so....

wllm, most residents I know hunt public land. We lucked into private access for some of our hunting about 30 years ago by working for a rancher. Many residents can get access for cow elk, pronghorn and whitetails but bull elk and mule deer are hard to come by for residents too.
We put in for LQ elk every year on public land, some LQ deer licenses too on public. Our pronghorn hunting is on public lands for the most part.
These days I don't know many folks that hunt private lands exclusively unless they work for, or are related to a rancher. Long time friends can still get access, respect of the land does go a long way.

Not at all, but the argument NR are keeping small towns alive just doesn't fly with me. Those of us that live in hunting communities see what comes in, every year.
From what I get , "on this sight(site)" Nrs hunters are keeping every small, town alive in Colorado and Wyoming.
Just don't buy it. If a town is near the mountains or good hunting it will have scenery that attracts tourists. Tourism is increasing every year now, it will make up for the drop in NR hunters.

I just think Rs will pick up some of the slack on spending if the licenses go to residents, not all by any means. Towns will not dry up.

drifter I know some NR that have stated might as well just go poach if we can't draw a tag so....

wllm, most residents I know hunt public land. We lucked into private access for some of our hunting about 30 years ago by working for a rancher. Many residents can get access for cow elk, pronghorn and whitetails but bull elk and mule deer are hard to come by for residents too.
We put in for LQ elk every year on public land, some LQ deer licenses too on public. Our pronghorn hunting is on public lands for the most part.
These days I don't know many folks that hunt private lands exclusively unless they work for, or are related to a rancher. Long time friends can still get access, respect of the land does go a long way.
I agree. Hunting season is short and the tourist are the ones really keeping these towns alive. And even then it's more like life support for places like Centennial that are not really thriving. Hunting season where people are packing hotels, restaurants, etc is really a few weeks at best.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown for who supports a town like Centennial between the hunters, snowmobilers, skiers, tourist, etc...

... you ever seen @Oak posts about bear depredation permits... HOLY PICNIC BASKETS BOO BOO
No permit necessary, and Ackchyually, the vast majority of bear/sheep game damage claims and depredation kills are on public land. For example, if you're hiking in the alpine at 13,000' in the San Juans and stumble across a dead bear laying next to a bag of dog food, don't panic. It was probably just Boo Boo trying to steal a meal from a sheepherder's dog and paying the price.
IMG_9568 (1).JPG
IMG_9567 (1).JPG
IMG_9649 (1).JPG

Sorry to digress. Back to the topic of our generosity.

No permit necessary, and Ackchyually, the vast majority of bear/sheep game damage claims and depredation kills are on public land. For example, if you're hiking in the alpine at 13,000' in the San Juans and stumble across a dead bear laying next to a bag of dog food, don't panic. It was probably just Boo Boo trying to steal a meal from a sheepherder's dog and paying the price.
View attachment 222825
View attachment 222823
View attachment 222824

Sorry to digress. Back to the topic of our generosity.
That's absolutely insane

So serious question if you think there is no impact, no value of NR, then why not just shut down NR hunting completely?

I agree. Hunting season is short and the tourist are the ones really keeping these towns alive. And even then it's more like life support for places like Centennial that are not really thriving. Hunting season where people are packing hotels, restaurants, etc is really a few weeks at best.

It would be interesting to know the breakdown for who supports a town like Centennial between the hunters, snowmobilers, skiers, tourist, etc...
per WYOGA
1652812102407.png1652812135587.png

I was referring to the towns perspective as far as which group among hunters, snowmobilers, skiers, summer vacationers, etc support the towns businesses the most, ie who books the most motel rooms. I don't really think NR hunters do a whole lot to support towns like Centennial since they are only there for a short period of time compared to the other groups who have longer seasons. Thus as mentioned losing NR hunters likely would not have as much effect as losing NR hikers, skiers, snowmobilers, etc who spend more $ in these towns.

But that data you posted is interesting.

Non guided NR hunters don't spend much on hunting dogs in Wyoming. Cheap bastards. lol.

I was referring to the towns perspective as far as which group among hunters, snowmobilers, skiers, summer vacationers, etc support the towns businesses the most, ie who books the most motel rooms. I don't really think NR hunters do a whole lot to support towns like Centennial since they are only there for a short period of time compared to the other groups who have longer seasons. Thus as mentioned losing NR hunters likely would not have as much effect as losing NR hikers, skiers, snowmobilers, etc who spend more $ in these towns.
My understanding is various groups mean a ton of business for a minority of the population... but to those business owners they are everything. As far as NR hunters, sure #1 are outfitters/guides.

I'm sure if your renting snowmobiles, doing tours, selling gas, etc that snowmobilers provide a huge boon during the winter... Cindy at the flower store could probably give a crap and thinks they're loud.

To that end if you cut a bunch of NR hunting most people don't notice, some lose like 5% of sales, but you put a handful of folks out on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you believe that garbage...you'll believe anything.

Lets keep it real, WYOGA paid a firm to sway their "study" and is years old, funded via a couple commission tags.

You believe hunters spend 5 million on ammo a year in Wyoming...going to have to call BS on that.

20,000,000 on vehicles, strictly for hunting? Yeah, not buying that one either.

A million on maps? Whatever.

Last edited:
If you believe that garbage...you'll believe anything.

Lets keep it real, WYOGA paid a firm to sway their "study" and is years old, funded via a couple commission tags.

You believe hunters spend 5 million on ammo a year in Wyoming...going to have to call BS on that.

20,000,000 on vehicles, strictly for hunting? Yeah, not buying that one either.

A million on maps? Whatever.
$5,000,000/74,577 (number of resident hunters)= $67
$10 on maps.
I'm sure they just came up with a list of hunting gear, priced it and multiple by number of hunters as their "estimate".

Is it bull shit... I'm not the expert, I trust you 10x more than WYOGA, but I think that's how they got those numbers.

I agree...and depending on who draws, whatever crap the Bro hunters buy...flat brims, beard wax, and designer hunting clothes I reckon.

busch lite.

or do bro hunters drink craft beer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back