Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Generosity to non-residents

My resident state of WA has no cap on non-residents. Costs an arm and a leg to apply as a non-resident but you are in the same bucket as me with the same odds. I suppose I need to start bitching to our F&G and the legislature that we need "up to" 10% language and only offer up certain units each year for NR to apply to and no cow elk tags and no hunting on certain lands we will reserve for residents and if you are 50 feet from a paved road you need a guide and put 100+ tags in an Expo that all but ends you chance at several primo units and species and have an allotment of guide-sponsored tags and require 100% of the tag money up front so we are in sync with all the other states. Heck, I think we should cap non-resident fishing tags, too, as I pay a lot in taxes just to have you free-loading NR come catch our sturgeon, halibut and salmon. The blue ribbon steelhead streams should be reserved for residents. And camping spots in our state parks should be for residents. Pro sports tickets should be just for residents.
Lol....I would be surprised even with no cap if washington issued more then 5 percent of the tags to non residents. There elk hunting has not been as advertised as it should be once guys relize they can get a tag every year and get the experiance hunting elk so they are ready for a good tag when the draw it in wyoming,idaho, Montnta I bet you will be pushing that to the game and fish to reduce numbers of non residents. In my opinion washington is very underrated for elk hunting as far as getting experiance to chase elk. I hunted branched bulls there every year for years and was successfully more often then not many more elk there then most residents lead on I know I did t say a word when I lived there.

Lol....I would be surprised even with no cap if washington issued more then 5 percent of the tags to non residents. There elk hunting has not been as advertised as it should be once guys relize they can get a tag every year and get the experiance hunting elk so they are ready for a good tag when the draw it in wyoming,idaho, Montnta I bet you will be pushing that to the game and fish to reduce numbers of non residents. In my opinion washington is very underrated for elk hunting as far as getting experiance to chase elk. I hunted branched bulls there every year for years and was successfully more often then not many more elk there then most residents lead on I know I did t say a word when I lived there.
Washington state currently has zero problems with non residents applying. The cost for the odds on oil species are absolutely not worth it. I took my son there as a non resident youth just for deer. The program for youth non residents is a great deal. We got into some elk yearly and I almost thought of buying a tag but it’s wasn’t worth it for me as an Idaho resident. I doubt Washington will ever need to cap non resident tags the demand is just not there. They need to manage predators not non residents.

I’ve been talking to a friend who is constantly complaining that Montana give more tags to non-residents than any other state etc. I am dubious. I’ve also heard Randy talk about the generosity of Wyoming, though that may be changing. Does anyone know of a place where this information is aggregated in some manner? I know it’s not apples to apples because, for instance, in Wyoming all NR deer tags are draw, whereas in Montana NR general deer is a draw. Conversely, I think in Idaho there are OTC tags but limited in number and a portion of these NR tags are used in conjunction with LE opportunity.
I’m thinking I’d like to begin with a basic metric of overall deer and overall elk tags available to residents and those compared to Non-residents. I’m happy to put this in a table if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Pardon my ignorance, but some of this confused me.
" in Wyoming all NR deer tags are draw, whereas in Montana NR general deer is a draw." So non-resident deer tags are a draw in Wyoming and Montana..what is the difference between the 2?
"Idaho there are OTC tags but limited in number and a portion of these NR tags are used in conjunction with LE opportunity."
Also what does law enforcement (LE) in Idaho have to do with Over-The-Counter tags?
Thanks.

I understand your confusion, I should have worded it better.

I was thinking about the difficulty in coming up with truly comparable numbers, turns out it’s beyond my capability.
LE is limited entry.
In Wyoming a resident can hunt general seasons wherever there is one open with an OTC tag. However, a NR would have to draw a tag that is valid to hunt only that region and competes with residents that are general. These NR tag numbers are specific to each region. A NR could also draw a tag which allowed them to hunt in a specific district within that region in a hunt that would be LE for both residents and NR. (Think rut or migration hunt) I don’t know if with that specific tag they could also hunt the general hunt there as well.
In Idaho a NR could buy a general deer tag that is first come first serve but limited in overall numbers, and hunt with general resident tag holders. Or they may apply for a hunt that is LE for both resident and NR’s and be limited to a percentage of the LE tags available for that unit.
All of which is to say that it is difficult to easily quantify opportunity allocation.

Washington state currently has zero problems with non residents applying. The cost for the odds on oil species are absolutely not worth it. I took my son there as a non resident youth just for deer. The program for youth non residents is a great deal. We got into some elk yearly and I almost thought of buying a tag but it’s wasn’t worth it for me as an Idaho resident. I doubt Washington will ever need to cap non resident tags the demand is just not there. They need to manage predators not non residents.
Yep that's what I was pointing out that they have no problem with non residents but once guys relize they can get a tag every year otc and chase elk even if it's a spike on the east side or a branched bull on the west side that might change as other states make it harder to get otc tags I know I would have no problem going there if it was the only place I could get a elk tag. I just think Washington is very underrated as far as elk go. Obviously guys that live in the other western states that have good elk hunting have no reason to hunt there

Yep that's what I was pointing out that they have no problem with non residents but once guys relize they can get a tag every year otc and chase elk even if it's a spike on the east side or a branched bull on the west side that might change as other states make it harder to get otc tags I know I would have no problem going there if it was the only place I could get a elk tag. I just think Washington is very underrated as far as elk go. Obviously guys that live in the other western states that have good elk hunting have no reason to hunt there
Yes I agree could be a good option for hunters from states without elk hunting. I was surprised at the pockets of elk I found deer hunting with my son over there. The herds I ran into were in either sex otc units. I can't believe more nr hunters have not clued into the bear hunting. It seems way better than Idaho for spot and stalk but a lot of them flock to Idaho?

I've had some great experiences in WA for elk and it's pretty good compared to not hunting, but if you're hunting NR there are so many better options that are available every year not sure why you'd pick WA, other than in a few circumstances.

If other states change dramatically and tag availability really drops WA will probably see more NRs, but when it's basically like hunting CO OTC pressure with way less elk and lower success rates, doubt it's going to increase much until something changes. It is good training for better states though and I still look forward to it every year as frustrating as it can be at times.

Over the counter Wisconsin deer tags for non-residents… $79.75 for first time buyers. $160 a year after that. Now that’s generous.
I’ve seen all your plates in my state too.

Anyone who wants to hunt ND can . Any NR can buy a archery white tail tag over the counter

Don't worry, I'll get one of your precious MD tags eventually. lol

In my original post I agreed there were differences, but important point is that states don’t allow you to buy a resident tag in multiple states, that’s illegal.

@OntarioHunter Vermont or Virginia might not spend lots of manpower enforcing those rules but all the western states, which have elk, do care, and pursue them.

Colorado publishes the Fish and Game violation statistics every year.
View attachment 218057

It’s a small number. The incentive to cheat, with COs preference point system is way higher than MT… just saying.
Sorry but you can buy a resident hunting licenses in states you have a lifetime license even if you don't live in that state currently.

Sorry but you can buy a resident hunting licenses in states you have a lifetime license even if you don't live in that state currently.
That's certainly a gray area, if you hold a lifetime license in Kansas and are a CO resident, that's legal because you purchased the Kansas license as a Kansas resident, but if you purchase a resident deer permit in Kansas then you would be in violation of the Colorado law.

Interesting Colorado law but leaves room for interpretation.
I am interested in what CPW and says about it, email sent.

Thanks wllm1313, haven't looked onto CO laws about that sort of thing. Seems like it could be a challenged in court.

Interesting Colorado law but leaves room for interpretation.
I am interested in what CPW and says about it, email sent.

Thanks wllm1313, haven't looked onto CO laws about that sort of thing. Seems like it could be a challenged in court.
It's pretty tough getting "gray area" questions answered by state agencies. They tend to quote the law rather than opine, you probably will just a copy/paste of the regs on the website.

I've moved CO-MT, MT-CO, CO-MA in the last 10 years and therefore made a lot of calls and dug through the regs a lot.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back