MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

FWP not looking too good in the fishing world either

I would put FWP's fisheries division up against any other state. This isn't a fisheries division issue, it's a political issue relative to water rights.
I’d put my money on the other states. The remaining folks we have are good but recruitment is a problem. At almost every hiring cycling the fisheries division loses top candidates to other states that are able to pay livable wages, among other things.

Just looked at the job is posted (along with a bunch of others) on fwp website. The listed salary, as I expected, would be tough to do much with in Bozeman

SB 442 would provide the irrigators, water advocates, Trout bums, etc the financial ability to enact cutting edge water conservation projects hich would have been hugely helpful in at least ensuring best management practices for irrigators and stream flow return.

But it got vetoed.
You can conserve all the water you want with more efficient technology (pivots, whatever) but the issue remains that these basins are so over allocated that any water saved gets diverted into someone else's fields. Until we change the laws and go through mass adjudication where everyone gets adjudicated what they can reasonably use nothing can really change

I’d put my money on the other states. The remaining folks we have are good but recruitment is a problem. At almost every hiring cycling the fisheries division loses top candidates to other states that are able to pay livable wages, among other things.

That's a leg problem. Not an agency issue.

You can conserve all the water you want with more efficient technology (pivots, whatever) but the issue remains that these basins are so over allocated that any water saved gets diverted into someone else's fields. Until we change the laws and go through mass adjudication where everyone gets adjudicated what they can reasonably use nothing can really change

"If wishes & buts were candy & nuts "
T Ruxpin.

I would put FWP's fisheries division up against any other state. This isn't a fisheries division issue, it's a political issue relative to water rights.
Agreed. Unfortunately, management of any species/resource requires a partnership between the biologists and the politicians. At least one part of the equation is slipping in Montana and the fish probably care less than we do about which. No offense intended to the great folks at MFWP.

Man, I looked at Montana as being a model of cold water fisheries management for so long... I sure hope the balance of power can change soon. I feel confident that at a fundamental level, the people of Montana overwhelmingly want healthy trout streams, healthy elk herds, access to both, etc.
You would think that, but the influx of idiots these days is off the charts, and the state is just voting more and more red.

Don't they say that catch and release fishing kills up to 20% of the fish caught? I don't know how there's any fish left. The Madison isn't subject to low flows like the Big Hole, because its a tailwater river from Hebgen to the Missouri.
Yes 10-20%. It’s a simple equation that when get you so many more anglers they are killing more fish even inadvertently. It’s particularly bad when the water is warm. I see many dozens of dead “ released” fish stack up in the pools of the Bitterroot every summer and it’s sickening.

Easy solution, hold a draw for access permits to fish each river. Set a strict biological based limit and season that will never go over the quota*. How could MFWP possibly mess that up!

*except if you live near the river or you own more than 2500 arces anywhere or if you have a family member in MT or if you have ever meet anyone from MT or if your over 65 or if your under 21 and of course anyone thats rich.

Yes 10-20%. It’s a simple equation that when get you so many more anglers they are killing more fish even inadvertently. It’s particularly bad when the water is warm. I see many dozens of dead “ released” fish stack up in the pools of the Bitterroot every summer and it’s sickening.
Certainly the large numbers and density of fishermen in certain areas adversely impacts the fisheries. However, don't overlook the predominent water rights holders and the fact that agriculture has been king in Montana forever. Summer irrigation depletes the rivers and streams to critical levels each year, and during recent drought stricken years has been severely impactful, resulting in low water levels and warm fisheries temperatures. There is a continuous dialogue between FWP and water users forever, sometimes resulting in favorable changes to improve fisheries. It's not a simple problem.

Reactions: JEL
Water rights predate statehood in Montana. Don’t ever get into a battle over water rights.

Managing fish, game, access, seasons, and the health of all that requires more than the Montana FWP is capable of handling. Is it personnel, management, funding or something else?

I know the Montana FWP isn’t thought much of here, but for now it’s all we got. When I see Big Creek over on the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley, dried up before it gets to the Yellowstone, I have to wonder about “water rights” and their current relevancy today vs when they were initially established and why those rights were set up as they are…

We are going to have to limit the number of fisherman on these rivers. The sooner we do it, the better off the fishery will be. Don't believe me? Drive the Madison on a summer afternoon and see for yourself.
I tried fishing it today, big mistake. There were boats every 50-70 yards from 3$ to the WMA (sometimes double stacked). I pulled into 3 spots to try and wade fish and there was 1-2 guys posted up in every hole. I drank a beer and headed home and have completely lost interest in fishing that river (at least in the summer months). Every fishing access looked like a Black Friday Walmart parking lot. I don’t remember it being close to this bad even 5 years ago.

I tried fishing it today, big mistake. There were boats every 50-70 yards from 3$ to the WMA (sometimes double stacked). I pulled into 3 spots to try and wade fish and there was 1-2 guys posted up in every hole. I drank a beer and headed home and have completely lost interest in fishing that river (at least in the summer months). Every fishing access looked like a Black Friday Walmart parking lot. I don’t remember it being close to this bad even 5 years ago.
We floated it yesterday as a birthday present for my son. The pressure didn’t bother me as much as the lack of fish. $650 bucks for a guided float is a little steep for 6-8 strikes in 7 hours.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back