PEAX Equipment

Montana FWP makes seismic shift in elk permits

A squirrel decides that my phone line looks edible, so I am off the net and defenseless for a day and a half and look what happens.

Any one that weds themselves to one political party is sure to be mad half the time and disappointed the other half.
You live in eastern Montana and have squirrels and trees? Wow, you must be in the 1%.

Does anyone know when the 'finalized' regulations will be published? I have closely followed the changes but it would be nice to see the updated regs.

2022 Regulations are posted on FWP's site under the Hunt tab for Deer, Elk, Antelope and Moose, Sheep, Goat.

Not sure when they were published, but 2021 drawing odds are also posted.

2022 Regulations are posted on FWP's site under the Hunt tab for Deer, Elk, Antelope and Moose, Sheep, Goat.

Not sure when they were published, but 2021 drawing odds are also posted.

Thanks sapper. Got the email from MT Fish and Game. Will be interesting to see the odds for this year with all the changes. Cheers.

Thanks sapper. Got the email from MT Fish and Game. Will be interesting to see the odds for this year with all the changes. Cheers.
Draw odds will likely be a little worse each year, even with the increase in tags more people will be applying for limited tags in eastern Montana

Draw odds will likely be a little worse each year, even with the increase in tags more people will be applying for limited tags in eastern Montana
To a point I think your correct. However there is a point of diminishing return where the chance of a big bull is offset by the overall crappy experience to the point time is better off spent elsewhere. I spent 20 plus days east last year. In hindsight, I wish I would have spent them in a general unit that has been intriguing me.

I am intrigued to see where things fall as well on the former 900 bundle units. I'm putting in for one of them and I assume my odds will be worse than they would have been if it was still a 900 tag. I'm sure others will be the opposite.

You are right, only trees in Eastern Montana are planted;)
There are also no hills or water, just endless flat land were the wind is constantly blowing down from the north pole.
Described my place. Nearest wind block is 5.08 miles away. Water was only 160’ away though straight down

Does anyone know that for the units that are first and only choice, do leftovers become available for those units or not. If they do, I guess I don't understand what the purpose of first and only choice was?
Also, does the 10% non-res cap of quota apply when they become leftovers?

The combination of the huge archery quotas and the potential of leftovers is scary to me.

Does anyone know that for the units that are first and only choice, do leftovers become available for those units or not. If they do, I guess I don't understand what the purpose of first and only choice was?
Also, does the 10% non-res cap of quota apply when they become leftovers?

The combination of the huge archery quotas and the potential of leftovers is scary to me.
I seem to remember Hank saying they would go into a surplus sale.

Coffee and Hunttalk at 5 a.m.?
No day off on a ranch.
I rarely sleep in past five, I like to get in a little antler hunting or scouting for deer and elk before work.
It is orange juice and yogurt for breakfast. I have never been able to handle hot drinks like coffee and who wants to drink it cold. We all have our flaws.
And yes there are no days off on the ranch.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back