Caribou Gear Tarp

FWP lies about Corner Crossing

State G&F regs are a digest of state code and administrative law. The dept or related body usually has some very limited authority to set bag limits, tag #’s, season dates, and/or similar. You’ll often see press releases with language encouraging courtesy and responsibility, i.e. “In light of the recent WY corner crossing case, please remember to be respectful of private property rights and avoid trespass” or similar. The definitive, “it is illegal” is both comical and sad because in our country we’ve never had law by fiat. There has to be a law on the books or a judicial ruling clarifying a law. Sure MFWP can interpret law, but so can any private citizen. Challenge accepted.

I do not want this to become a flame war. So, while adverse possession, prescriptive easements, eminent domain, etc., are interesting topics they do not change the corner crossing issue. Those topics do not alter the fact that property rights in this country and in Montana are sacrosanct.

Good Luck

As a private property landowner I agree that property rights are sacrosanct. As a public landowner I agree that property rights are sacrosanct. Access to my property in a lawful manner is just as important as the ability to prohibit access to my private property.

Legal consideration needs to include public rights just as it does private property rights. Some folks seem to think only private landowners have legitimate claims for legal protection.

I wonder if/how much AG Knudsen was involved in drafting this statement.

Keep in mind that AG Knudsen is more than likely setting himself up to run for Governor of Montana (State legislator, Speaker of the House, now AG ... ???). Could you imagine ... Austin Knudsen replacing Gianforte as our next Governor. The punches would keep coming at Montana resident hunters. Look at the control the Republican led Legislature has exerted on the Montana FWP ... and the Bills coming through the legislature. Look at all his (Knudsen) relatives that are or running in other County or State political positions. Scary?!

So sacrosanct I have to fence your cows out if I don’t want them grazing my land, amirite?
Or if your property is pulled into a pooling unit I can drill a well under your land, frack it, and extract the minerals and you can't do anything about it.

Keep in mind that AG Knudsen is more than likely setting himself up to run for Governor of Montana (State legislator, Speaker of the House, now AG ... ???). Could you imagine ... Austin Knudsen replacing Gianforte as our next Governor. The punches would keep coming at Montana resident hunters. Look at the control the Republican led Legislature has exerted on the Montana FWP ... and the Bills coming through the legislature. Look at all his (Knudsen) relatives that are or running in other County or State political positions. Scary?!

He's publicly said he will never support the "types of projects" the RMEF engages in. He's been in favor of anti-stream access law proposals, like the Dirty Ditch Bill in 2011. He's publicly stated he is opposed to corner crossing, was in league with the public land transfer crowd, and has been showing his true colors for a long damn time.

I know when folks vote for governor, they vote for many things, but the issues above are ubiquitously supported by Montanans in opposition to Knudsen, regardless of their political bent. Tell your friends. We've seen folks attitudes change in other realms. Don't Texas My Montana.

Back