Yeti GOBOX Collection

Future Family Mule Deer Hunt

Muskeez

Looking for advice on a rifle mule deer hunt for 2016 or 2017 for the wife and I and 2 daughters. I have 1 pp in CO, we each have 1 pp in WY. We will hunt antelope again in WY this fall, 2015, and then I am thinking of skipping that in 2016 and just getting Antelope pp, and hunting mule deer instead. We have never hunted mule deer. A friend has given me a lead on an area in WY to hunt mule deer that we can possibly draw with one pp. We would likely go there, but I am looking at other options for the next year and beyond.

Anyway, my question is, would you guys recommend me continuing to buy pp in WY, MT, and CO for all of us just to have for future hunts 5-10 years from now? I don't see us saving them for 10 years, more like build 3-4 then use them. Should we consider buying general tags in MT with 0 points for the in-between years? For distance purposes, I am only looking at MT, WY, CO and maybe NE. Someday I would like to hunt for a truly big mule deer but for the first few hunts we would all be thrilled with what you guys call an average buck. Thanks for any help guys!

Sounds like an awesome time! There are some spots in WY you can probably get into with that point that if nothing else will offer a fun hunt and the chance to see some younger 4x4s. Are you looking for a sage country type hunt, or do you think the crew will want to get up into the higher country?

Lets just say 3 of us are pretty fit, one is not so much but tough enough to endure some reasonable strenuous exercise :) This can also be seen as a reason to set some fitness goals. My first elk hunt a few years ago did it for me. With that said though, I think a lower country hunt would be best for the first couple rodeos.

Last edited:
It is goign to be a personal decision, but I might be tempted to head to the W or SW end of WY in one of the Regions over there. Tougher hunting, but a chance at a nicer deer.

Spot and stalk, Camp at a trail head, on BLM, or campground, Live in northern Iowa.

Last edited:
there are lots of opportunities in wyoming or montana with little to no "points". I agree with Minnesotahunter that you will probably find bigger deer in the western wyoming units, but big deer can be found in most units with enough time on the ground or access.

What I'm mostly wondering is , in my situation, would you start buying points for the family and if so, in what states. I can figure out the areas to hunt when the times comes that we have enough points and the family can all hunt together. As they age that part will get tougher but I'm sure our western hunts will be one thing the girls won't want to miss out on. They absolutely love it!

Save your money in PP and just come too Idaho, plenty of good bucks here, and the draw everyone has an equal chance at a great tag..... or Montana, those would be my 2 choice's, plenty of OTC tags for both elk and deer here in decent units, good luck
Matt

Save your money in PP and just come too Idaho, plenty of good bucks here, and the draw everyone has an equal chance at a great tag..... or Montana, those would be my 2 choice's, plenty of OTC tags for both elk and deer here in decent units, good luck
Matt
Seconded! I'd also suggest getting points in maybe WY and/or SD. They are relatively inexpensive and would open some options for later down the road. IIRC neither state requires that many points to get a tag in some units.

Unless you want to apply for a special draw unit, you are guaranteed to draw a deer tag in Mt, lots of public land and decent bucks to be found. that's what I would do, but that's my two cents.

Barring point creep a western WY Region deer hunt should be an every 2 year event. There are some regions South East of Cody where some colleagues have an annual hunt on a private ranch. They kill good bucks every year but complain about people who are able to access the BLM behind the ranch. My first out of state hunt was Region B near Wright, and it was too roaded for my taste. Lot of Wisc. and Minn. plates.

My primary plan of action is draw WY General elk or Region deer as often as I can and make the most of my 9 years experience in a couple general zones. Antelope though , with 3 days before the season, or 10 days during the season, I feel confident I could be successful with a rifle and happy with my buck in almost any unit. It comes down to miles and glass.

No experience with MT deer units, and CO has been a point builder for me in reserve for when I don't draw WY. I may spend more points than necessary when I do put in CO.

UT and Arizona are my Hail Mary Lottery. I'm well out of the Max point pool in all states. I never plan on drawing but I'm always ready if I do. Utah may be a "one and done" since I don't hear much good about general deer units there.

Last edited:
Idaho its pretty easy to get deer tags but its really rough country. Indian reservations in the Dakota's are another option. Pretty easy country for the wife & kids. Tags will be alittle pricey on a reservation but living in Northern Iowa would mean easy travel.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back