Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fuel source

SD_Prairie_Goat

Hey everyone,

Gearing up for my first elk hunt this fall, right now I'm looking into backpacking stoves to boil water while hunting.

What is the best choice for fuel source? I will be hunting early to mid October in Colorado, probably around 8500-9500'

I always plan for the worst, so I don't want to pick a fuel that won't work at freezing temps.

The stove I'm looking at you can either buy it for propane or for isobutane... Also weight and space is an issue since I'll be backpacking it in three to five miles.

Also, am I being foolish by not looking further into diesel fuel stoves?

Isobutane. I personally run the MSR windburner. Love it so far and it handles wind like advertised: impervious.

Be sure to get either MSR or olicamp fuel for better performance at lower temps.

Iso is what I’ve always used solo. Curious to see what the prevailing response is. We use white gas when climbing because there’s always a group of us and it seems to be more efficient.

I don’t think you can beat just getting a Jetboil and a few iso fuel canisters. This system is pretty much perfect if all you need to do is heat water- it’s crazy how fast you can bring water to a boil and efficient/easy to pack as well.

I build my own denatured alcohol stoves "penny can stove." For backpacking, there is nothing lighter. Also the cheapest option - $20 will make the stove, stand, pot, airfoil, cozy, fuel bottle, and enough fuel for a 2-week trip

I don't know many people that use liquid fuel stoves ( gasoline, kerosene, diesel) though I know many stoves will burn that when you switch the jets. They tend to be messy and it seems more like a last resort when you're super remote or traveling international

Just get an Isobutane canister and let it rip. Those things last a long time especially if you're only boiling water.

I'd go isbutane canister personally, will be just fine into the 20s, and will get by after that with care. Check out the Adventures in Stoving blog, that guy has tried it all, a lot. If you're worried about temp you can get a remote canister, canister stove and invert the can. This is what I do winter camping in lieu of white gas.
Nothing wrong with the classic whisperlite and similar, but for once in a while cold use I decided not to keep one around and haven't missed it. Except that it was my first stove, I do miss it for that reason.

I have used the MSR brand fuel, and the generic wally world ( can't remember the brand). Both have worked superbly, even at 12,000 feet. Water boils in the time it takes me to put on my boots and gaiters. I use the MSR pocket rocket stove.

I'd go isbutane canister personally, will be just fine into the 20s, and will get by after that with care. Check out the Adventures in Stoving blog, that guy has tried it all, a lot. If you're worried about temp you can get a remote canister, canister stove and invert the can. This is what I do winter camping in lieu of white gas.
Nothing wrong with the classic whisperlite and similar, but for once in a while cold use I decided not to keep one around and haven't missed it. Except that it was my first stove, I do miss it for that reason.
I consulted HikinJim before I bought any backpacking stove combos. That guy really knows his stoves and fuel.

As said above you will be fine with the canisters, for mid-oct hunts get the canisters from jetboil/snow peak/MSR that are a mix of propane and isobutane rather than straight iso or N-butane. I don't think temp is really a consideration at that altitude until the temp drops below 15 degrees.

- I've never used anything other than a canister for winter camping, and never had an issue. I usually toss my canisters is the bottom of my sleeping bag for a bit before I boil water in the morning.

Last edited:
As said above you will be fine with the canisters, for mid-oct hunts get the canisters from jetboil/snow peak/MSR that are a mix of propane and isobutane rather than straight iso or N-butane. I don't think temp is really a consideration at that altitude until the temp drops below 15 degrees.

I build my own denatured alcohol stoves "penny can stove." For backpacking, there is nothing lighter. Also the cheapest option - $20 will make the stove, stand, pot, airfoil, cozy, fuel bottle, and enough fuel for a 2-week trip
I use alcohol stoves quite a bit and really enjoy them. However, for me, if I am going to be back in for several days and in potentially colder weather, I usually opt for iso.

Bought an emberlit titanium stove. Been using it this summer and it has been fun so far. Not as fast as the fuel burning stoves but does get it done. Plus I like to have a fire. It does weigh a bit less than other stove options (like maybe 5-6 oz total for the stove). If you want fast and easy then the Iso fuel is tough to beat. If you want lighter and enjoy messing with a fire then this is a good option. I've really liked it so far. It might take 4 minutes instead of 2 minutes to boil water and takes little to no twigs to get the water boiling. Cools down in seconds too. Thought it would take a few minutes but literally 10-15 seconds and you can handle the stove.

https://emberlit.com/products/ember...ove-multi-fuel-collapsible-wood-burning-stove

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back