Fresh Tracks Fan Club

'nother one bites the dust... One bear was harmed in the making of this post. On to antelope next week. I think I'm going to be busy packing and skinning this fall. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6053.JPG
    IMG_6053.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 511
Nice Gerald and Olivia. Did you have to leave your backyard to get him?

(I thought about quoting myself about quoting myself, but thought that might be a little over the top :))

Last edited:
Not only is she wearing that hat out, she's also wearing those critters out!
Congratulations on a real nice bear, and good luck on the antelope hunt!

Big accolades to the young lady with the rifle. Looks as though she knows very well how to use it. Congrats, Olivia!

Man, that's fantastic! Don't know of anyone who wouldn't be proud of the season she is having so far. Nice job getting her out learning the woods!

Olivia and I were fortunate to draw antelope tags for a unit in southwestern MT. With some helpful advice from phutch30 and Randy11 we found where the antelope were concentrating in the one end of our unit. Their predictions were accurate and we saw plenty of antelope. The only problem was they were staying in an area of vast flat land that required a lot of luck and a little bit of help from the terrain to get close enough for a shot.

We found several herds over two miles away from us soon after daylight, but to access where they were we needed to drive several miles to get on the other side of the river. We ran into another bunch that contained a decent buck as we were trying to get into position and quickly changed our plans. Bird in hand and all that...

This buck made the mistake of bedding within 200 yards of the meandering river and we used the terrain to our advantage. Two hours of belly crawling, sneaking along 3/4 mile of river bank later we were within 200 yards of the bedded herd. When the wind shifted the does stood up and started to move through a shooting lane. The herd buck was last in line and one shot dropped him in his tracks.

With her buck down, I took over the gun and scoped out four of the antelope that stopped after their initial run. They were less than 300 yards, but all were young bucks with about 6-8" horns. If one had been a doe I would have shot, but I couldn't make myself shoot a little buck just then.
There were two other hunters watching us from 1/2 mile away at the road the entire time. When Olivia connected, they very generously brought their game cart over and helped us get the buck back to the truck. We shot the only buck they had seen all morning, yet they didn't try to make a move on him once they saw us. I told them where the herd was that we were originally after and we headed back to camp. Hopefully, they made good on their hunt as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6282.JPG
    IMG_6282.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6189.JPG
    IMG_6189.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6120.JPG
    IMG_6120.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6141.JPG
    IMG_6141.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6092.JPG
    IMG_6092.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_6078.JPG
    IMG_6078.JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6073.JPG
    IMG_6073.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 150
As Olivia and I drove into camp with her antelope, we were greeted by an amazing sight. My eight year old son Gareth, Timothy, my wife and daughters had taken a walk from camp. The boys were carrying the .22 to protect the family from any marauding rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and the like. As they popped over a ridge, this red fox was hunting mice in the mid-morning sun. The fox saw them about the same time and departed the immediate vicinity. Both boys gave chase and when they crested the next hill, the fox was looking back at them approximately 80 yards out. Timothy dropped down to his knees to give Gareth a steady rest over his shoulder and Gareth connected with two shots from the open sighted rifle. Fox down!

Youth deer season was scheduled to open the following day, so we ( I ) processed the antelope and headed out to scout for deer. I was hoping to find some deer in the unit my antelope tag was good for, but we had seen no deer where the antelope were. My plan was to head in the opposite direction where I knew some deer traditionally hung out and hopefully run into some antelope as well. The first drainage I glassed turned up two respectable muledeer bucks and we figured we were in business.
It was my son Timothy's turn to be first on the trigger that morning and he was eager to take advantage of Montana's new apprentice hunter program. Right on cue, we found the bucks at first light. The range finder said 265 yards, well within range but unfortunately the grass was too tall to get a prone shot. He wasn't steady on the bipod from a sitting position and before we could concoct another plan the deer had fed into the aspens. They re-emerged at 370 yards and the uphill angle allowed him to be steady in prone with the bipod and my pack. Unfortunately, a 25 mph crosswind really complicated matters and I called off the shot. Both of them took turns dry-firing on the bucks as we watched them feed over the hill. We tried to make a move and get closer as they headed out, only to be picked off by the sharp-eyed bucks. They headed out of our lives for ever. We did spot another forked-horn that Timothy elected to pass.

After taking a break, we drove to another area to try and find some whitetail does. When we found this doe, Timothy let Olivia take the shot even though it was technically his turn. She was having some trouble seeing the deer in the willows and he was pointing it out to her. When she finally saw the broadside deer, she made short work of placing a perfect 256 yard shot, right through the shoulders. Four shots this year. Four animals on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_6356.JPG
    IMG_6356.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6335.JPG
    IMG_6335.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6320.JPG
    IMG_6320.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6151.JPG
    IMG_6151.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 150
We were all a bit worn out and slept in on Fri. After I butchered Olivia's deer, we took the whole family along to do a bit of fishing and try to find another whitetail for Timothy. Olivia elected to stay behind while Timothy and I still hunted through a likely looking section of river bottom.

Around five o'clock we saw several does on the other side of the river. They were at least 350 yards out so we quickly moved to close the distance. Timothy had fleeting chances at less than 200 yards, but again, tall grass and brush prevented him from using the bipod for a steady rest. He was trying to lean against a tree but decided he wasn't steady enough, so he didn't try the shot.

As we tried to stalk a bit closer in the crunchy leaves we were startled by the appearance of a good sized bull moose. Unfortunately for us, he saw us and spooked, and that spooked the deer out of the scattered junipers down into the willows. We tried to get closer in hopes the deer would settle down and come down for a drink. It almost worked out. The only thing was the deer that appeared was a spike/forkie that Timothy didn't want use his only buck tag on. The little buck ended up feeding within 25 yards of us in the wide open while we sat frozen in place. The bull moose came back out and passed with 100 yards of us and the coyotes started their evening chorus up the valley.

No other deer showed that as shooting light ended, so we hiked back up to the road to wait for my wife to pick us up. We enjoyed watching the moon rise over the mountains and shared some father/son bonding time while eating a can of sardines.

I could tell he was a bit disappointed about not getting a shot over the past two days, but he definitely enjoyed his hunt and said he didn't regret letting his sister shoot first at the deer.

The next morning we packed up camp and headed home, stopping to do a little fishing on the way. I don't think we could have asked for a more enjoyable trip and I sure don't mind eating antelope tag soup to have been able to spend the time with my family.

Attachments

• IMG_6389.JPG
    IMG_6389.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6391.JPG
    IMG_6391.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_6404.JPG
    IMG_6404.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_6461.JPG
    IMG_6461.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6463.JPG
    IMG_6463.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
great moon picture, and the tent is nice too.

Glad your kids enjoy being out there with you. You are raising 'em right for sure.

Glad your son realizes that hunting luck is not distributed evenly. Kudo's for that life lesson early.

Back