Ford Maverick

Trucks have V8 engines. mtmuley
Unfortunately not near as many any more! I have been looking on and off the last year and a half, I bet it’s a at least a 2:1 ratio of eco boosts to 5.0 in the F150s if not more

Once you get past folks who use trucks as compensators (popular in Wyoming) these would do 99% of what most people do with trucks. Drive to work, drive to grocery, lowes, mall, gym, drop kids at school, etc which is why they are so popular. To be honest for running around a smaller truck is more practical as I have a 3/4 ton diesel megacab but only drive it on road trips or when the snow it bad.

There are a lot of pickups out there that have never been off pavement, never pulled a trailer, and rarely even use the bed.

I suspect with gas prices going up we are going to see a new round of small trucks like we had back in the old days with Dodge D-50, S-10, Luv, Brat, VW pickup, etc were more popular.

I expect there to be an electric maverick that will also be extremely popular if it's in the 20-30k price range.

Last edited:
You and Mtmuley are not the target market, but 90% of the people driving trucks don't need 'em and this would be a much cheaper way to have the utility of a bed big enough to throw a deer in, get some plywood home from the lumberyard, etc. Plus, I'm pretty sure it would hold one dog crate and a cooler of beer.
Yep, next time folks are out they should look at the truck beds as they walk by. Most are just empty. An occasional run to lowes to buy potting soil is about all the use these "trucks" get. Many sit in garages at night and never go off pavement driving. The people I see most using their trucks are contractors, farmers, and ranchers. They usually have a bed full of stuff.

I'm really curious about the front wheel drive as 2 WD pickups are typically worthless in ice unless there is some weight on the back, I would think the FWD would run circles around a RWD pickup.

I'm on my first half ton, it's nice but ill go back to a 3/4 next time for sure and stay there
I have had several "heavy" half tons. Same brakes, cooling and 8 lug axles as the HD trucks. Just not the suspension. I don't tow so it is a non issue. mtmuley

I have had several "heavy" half tons. Same brakes, cooling and 8 lug axles as the HD trucks. Just not the suspension. I don't tow so it is a non issue. mtmuley
Just put air bags on this one, next time I'll just go back to a 3/4 or 1 ton.

I love the idea of the Maverick, I just wish they’d make a hybrid AWD drivetrain, and an option for a 6’ bed. I want a truck that is small enough to drive on the absurdly narrow streets in town here, can handle steep logging roads covered in loose gravel, gets >30 mpg when stock, and has bed big enough to camp in. my favorite truck that I’ve ever owned was a Nissan d21, a modern version of that that’s easy at the pump, would have my $$$ in a heartbeat.

It might sound like a tall order, but I’m sure something will be along shortly that fits the bill. I’m interested to see what dodge & gm come out with to compete with it, and Toyota should be making a hybrid Tacoma soon too.

I'd walk first. Or drive a Ridgeline. mtmuley
Like its a bad thing
truck tent Kebler 2020.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG020.JPGIMG_1109.JPG

And it tows 4K#, like this:
1646004836803.png

I'm interested to see reliability on the mav, it's base model has a cvt trans. IMO, that's a nonstarter.

I've been amazed at the Ridgeline's durability, adaptability, quality and comfort since Dad bought it new in '06. It hauled 3 hunters and a dog to KS for many years. I sleep in the back on occasion. Lots of CO hunting and off road exploring. Never a mechanical repair needed, it is about to roll 90K and will likely be the last truck I own. It has trailer brakes for the 24' camper. Aftermarket steel skid plate under the engine, neoprene seat covers, and stickers from Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa and Mario's restaurant in Gunnison. My dog loves to roll down the back window when he stands on the armrest. While it is not perfect for every application, mine is overloaded w family and personal history. It is priceless to me.

Different rides for different guys, mtmuley. Mine's NFS.

Last edited:
I would consider one. I’m already considering a Bronco as my next vehicle. For now I drive a 4x4 Jeep Patriot (trail rated) so yeah, I’m looking for a small, inexpensive SUV/truck with moderate off road capabilities.

I live in Texas, where most people drive big trucks. I estimate I take my lil’ Jeep off road more often than 99% of those V8 trucks. Hell, I had my Jeep four-wheeling TODAY.

A Ford maverick cut me off today and I'm pretty sure my 2500 could of drove right over top of it if I didn't feel like slamming on my brakes. Haha

Like its a bad thing
View attachment 213707
View attachment 213709View attachment 213720View attachment 213722

And it tows 4K#, like this:
View attachment 213724

I'm interested to see reliability on the mav, it's base model has a cvt trans. IMO, that's a nonstarter.

I've been amazed at the Ridgeline's durability, adaptability, quality and comfort since Dad bought it new in '06. It hauled 3 hunters and a dog to KS for many years. I sleep in the back on occasion. Lots of CO hunting and off road exploring. Never a mechanical repair needed, it is about to roll 90K and will likely be the last truck I own. It has trailer brakes for the 24' camper. Aftermarket steel skid plate under the engine, neoprene seat covers, and stickers from Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa and Mario's restaurant in Gunnison. My dog loves to roll down the back window when he stands on the armrest. While it is not perfect for every application, mine is overloaded w family and personal history. It is priceless to me.

Different rides for different guys, mtmuley. Mine's NFS.
Is that mule deer from Eastern Montana? Looks like he's maybe better than 164? Asking for a few hundred friends inquiring...

One thing is for certain if you pull up to:

The corner bar in Baker
The Jersey Lil in Ingomar
The Durum in Glasgow
Or Even the Rod Iron

In either this or something comparable like the "Maverick"

210414162910-02-hyundai-compact-pickup-truck-restricted-super-tease.jpg

Pretty dead give away your either a transplant or a NR and we don't take kindly to those folks fukn up the deer hunting.....

If you have used the phrase "nonstarter" regarding a truck ever, you aren't the market for this lol.

Every family driving a $40K+ SUV or minivan simply because they have 2 kids and would also like room to chuck a couple suitcases, a dog crate, Sam's style grocery run, new dishwasher/water heater/window AC unit etc. in the back are the market for this truck.

We have an F150 for our main family vehicle that I also take out of state hunting every year. My other vehicle is a 2001 F250 that gets used whenever we need both vehicles or don't want to worry about putting a dent in the thing lol. I've heavily considered getting rid of the the F250 for one of these which could then be my wife's daily driver with the kids or just my run around truck when needed. Most of the time that little bed would suit my needs. When it wouldn't, I have the F150.

Every family driving a $40K+ SUV or minivan simply because they have 2 kids and would also like room to chuck a couple suitcases, a dog crate, Sam's style grocery run, new dishwasher/water heater/window AC unit etc. in the back are the market for this truck
There isn't anything this "truck" can do that the minivan won't, fold down the seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back