Ford Maverick

My buddy bought one this fall. For a get around town, maybe pack a little gear in the bed vehicle its great. For anything semi-off roadish it struggles. We took it out the day after he bought it deer hunting. The roads we were on were just basic county gravel, nothing crazy with a few minor ruts. That brand new truck was bottoming out in pretty minimal ruts.

For a town vehicle with a little storage capacity and that gas mileage, it's great. For anything off pavement, I'll take a heavy pass.
I would love to see someone put a 4+ inch lift on one with decent tires to see what would happen.

I would love to see someone put a 4+ inch lift on one with decent tires to see what would happen.
Would it have enough power for that? I remember the old Toyota’s that you had to run in 4Lo after you put bigger tires on them.

Would it have enough power for that? I remember the old Toyota’s that you had to run in 4Lo after you put bigger tires on them.
Someone do it and tell me! LOL

I would think the ecoboost version with AWD would have enough. From what I've seen that version seems to be decently powered.

Can’t be any more gutless than the old ranger I had, except that the ranger had a lot more clearance stock. I had 31x10.5x15s on it, probably couldn’t have gone much bigger than that.

I watched a Q/A with a Ford engineer last year before they were on the market and someone asked this exact question. I think the unibody doesn't allow much larger wheel radius' than what is stock. The smaller engine would have an issue with it as well. Again if you want a commuter these little trucks are sweet, but I think they missed the mark for any off road capabilities

I watched a Q/A with a Ford engineer last year before they were on the market and someone asked this exact question. I think the unibody doesn't allow much larger wheel radius' than what is stock. The smaller engine would have an issue with it as well. Again if you want a commuter these little trucks are sweet, but I think they missed the mark for any off road capabilities

Even the 2 inch kit actually looks a lot better with proper tires. I haven't paid attention to the tire size part of the equation.

I've heard and read nothing but great things about the maverick. I believe it fits a niche for a large portion of people that live in larger cities.

Eventually I will probably buy one myself, after
my "real truck" is long paid off. Most of the time I need something to drive around town and occasionally haul a light trailer or washing machine in the bed of. The Maverick fits that bill well.
When it is time for off-road adventures or hauling heavy stuff I'll grab the Ram

The vocal minority just doesn’t get how truly out numbered we are.
Electric cars and city vehicles out number rural vehicles 100s to 1.

I like that little thing. AWD with the eco boost, thing weighs nothing, I bet its a little ripper. Plus for commuting and going fishing and skiing at the local hill. Most all of my driving to all these places is on paved roads or well maintained dirt roads. I have an ATV for the really nasty stuff when I go hunting. This may end up being my next truck.

Keep the F-250 for when shit gets real weird.

A 4.5’ bed wouldn’t even hold two dog crates and a cooler of beer.
Dogs are supposed to ride on the front seat I though! :) That's a pretty good-looking little tuck. I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac and works fine for what ever I want. Rotated back to the states from Germany in 1970 and got a new Maverick, the car. Turned out to be a nice car. Wish I could afford to try one of those new trucks!

Spotted a Maverick Saturday on the expressway in Chi-raq. Too quick to see much, but it didn't look horrible.

I think that would pretty much any lift kit /bigger tires is going to rob serious power also your mpg is going to plummet. Would sort of defeat the whole point of the vehichle no?

I think that would pretty much any lift kit /bigger tires is going to rob serious power also your mpg is going to plummet. Would sort of defeat the whole point of the vehichle no?
Probably on the hybrid, but anyone buying the AWD version probably isn't buying solely, or even primarily, for the MPG.

I would imagine the mpg on the awd version is quite a bit less to begin with?
Yep, I think like 22mpg or something. So, in my mind at least, it's roughly equivalent to putting a lift and big tires on an F150. Sure it's going to impact power and MPG, but no one cares lol.

Thread bump. Bought one of these things about two months ago. So here we go...

I was looking for a replacement for our secondary vehicle, which was an 09 Mercury Mariner.🤮 . Generally I've been a Ford guy and our secondary vehicle doesn't get used as much as I'm either working or with the fam in the primary vehicle, which is a big big SUV. As much as I wanted an F150 or Ram1500, I couldn't justify the cost....yet. "Ah hah, I'll look at Rangers". Hmm, cost still high and for whatever reason the 4x4 availability isn't as prevalent as expected... unless you want to order a Raptor Ranger or whatever..
So... local dealer had a Maverick AWD FX4 pkg on the lot. For us it's okay. Okay...not spectacular. But it does do everything we REQUIRE it to do. I'm a total noob when it comes to western hunting. So I have no idea how this is going to workout on a hunting trip. Although my previous off-roading experience is more in depth (see what I did there🤣) than what most would expect. Our mountains might not be that tall, but our hollers sure are deep. (I just set myself up...🙄). Honestly, i wouldnt take this thing off road. Anyways...
The 2.0 AWD FX4 will tow 4k pounds. Gas mileage in the city is about 22-23 mpg. Highway better, but can'tgive definite numbers yet. Ride is okay. Features are so-so, but I didn't buy a Cadillac so no real issues. Fits 4 humans fine. The rear seat raises to find a decent sized cubby hole, but if it were split it would be far better. My biggest concern is the direct injection on a turbo 4 banger. That's alot of complexity to derive adequate power & efficiency. The fuel pump sounds almost like a small European diesel engine. Kinda weird, but apparently normal.
Is it ideal....no.
Is it preferred...no.
Is it adequate...yes. Especially since cost is ALWAYS a factor.

For now, it's okay.

My mileage may vary. (I did it again, 😂).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back