For the love of wood

Here are the stocks I offered, the two on top are pre 64 Win 70's , one was glass bedded, both seen some use. The last is for a pre war Remington 30 express (commercial enfield action), used the long action to build a 350 Astocks.jpgckley that i put in a synthetic. Free for cost of shipping to anyone who needs one.

And here i was thinking how super sophisticated you are HAHAHA!

Don't let him fool you. He's more urbane than 95% of us. ;)

Since we're posting roscoe's - my best w/ wood:

Mauser commemorative P-08 Luger (1970's vintage):

27512281342_9414baf626_c.jpg

Kimber Eclipse Ultra II w/ Laminate grips. I didn't think I'd like them, but they are incredible for controlling the heater.

27001621744_32b1f63d0e_c.jpg

I've always preferred blued and wood, but I'm slowly seeing the advantages of stainless and fiberglass, especially in wet weather.

Here's my Weatherby Vanguards. The top one is chambered in .300 Wby, and I put it in a AA Fancy Claro walnut stock that I pillar and glass bedded, free floated the barrel, and put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel pattern (that I've cut on three of my other rifles), and finished it with about 15 rubbed coats of Tru Oil.

The bottom two are chambered in .308 Win and .223. I also pillar and glass bedded and free floated those stocks, and painted them with a spider web finish.
UkPFUmWl.jpg

And here's my .375 RUM in a stainless Remington 700 barreled action that I put in a laminated stock. Again this stock is pillar and glass bedded with a free floated barrel, and also has a recoil reducer in it. I also hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel pattern.
3RIG05cl.jpg

This is the first rifle that I cut my multi-panel checkering pattern on... back in 1979. It's a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved in a Mauser Mark X barreled action that I put in a Fajen walnut stock, that is glass bedded and free floated barrel.
PbkPjgHl.jpg

And my other fancy wood stocked rifle, a .22-250 in a Mauser Mark X action and a tapered octogen barrel that Les Bauska of Kalispell made for me back in 1978. I also put it in Fajen walnut that is glass bedded and free floated the barrel, and just a few years ago I also hand checkered it with my multi-panel pattern.
1a7QxfXl.jpg

And just for grins, a Gov't Model 1911 that I put walnut grips on back in the early '70s. I made the left side grip with a thumb rest, and it was one of my first attempts of checkering with a skip line pattern.
wJF63XHl.jpg

Last edited:
but I'm slowly seeing the advantages of stainless and fiberglass, especially in wet weather.
I'd hate to see what our recent elk hunting trip in Idaho would have done to a wood/blued rifle.

I've always preferred blued and wood, but I'm slowly seeing the advantages of stainless and fiberglass, especially in wet weather.

Here's my Weatherby Vanguards. The top one is chambered in .300 Wby, and I put it in a AA Fancy Claro walnut stock that I pillar and glass bedded, free floated the barrel, and put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel pattern (that I've cut on three of my other rifles), and finished it with about 15 rubbed coats of Tru Oil.

The bottom two are chambered in .308 Win and .223. I also pillar and glass bedded and free floated those stocks, and painted them with a spider web finish.
UkPFUmWl.jpg

And here's my .375 RUM in a stainless Remington 700 barreled action that I put in a laminated stock. Again this stock is pillar and glass bedded with a free floated barrel, and also has a recoil reducer in it. I also hand checkered it with my favorite multi-panel pattern.
3RIG05cl.jpg

This is the first rifle that I cut my multi-panel checkering pattern on... back in 1979. It's a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved in a Mauser Mark X barreled action that I put in a Fajen walnut stock, that is glass bedded and free floated barrel.
PbkPjgHl.jpg

And my other fancy wood stocked rifle, a .22-250 in a Mauser Mark X action and a tapered octogen barrel that Les Bauska of Kalispell made for me back in 1978. I also put it in Fajen walnut that is glass bedded and free floated the barrel, and just a few years ago I also hand checkered it with my multi-panel pattern.
1a7QxfXl.jpg

And just for grins, a Gov't Model 1911 that I put walnut grips on back in the early '70s. I made the left side grip with a thumb rest, and it was one of my first attempts of checkering with a skip line pattern.
wJF63XHl.jpg
Some nice guns, the checkering you did looks great!

Back