For the love of wood

I also love a fine piece of wood. It makes my heart hurt to hunt with a rifle with a beautiful stock. That’s why I pulled the Super Grade stock off my .325 a put it in a laminated stock.
Have a Kimber 84L that has a beautiful stock on it also. Trying to find a synthetic stock to drop it in, but no luck so far.

So you pull the rifle out of the wood stock to keep it safe and put it in a comp stock for use. What do you to show it to someone? have them wait while you change stocks so it looks good? I have two rifle's that came with comp stocks. One was a gift from a girl friend, I dumped her and found a wood stock. The other was a Mossberg Patriot and the store was going to quit carrying them so wouldn't order me one with a wood stock. I bought it and walked in the house, got on the phone and called Mossberg for a wood stock before I even got it out of the box. I also don't believe comp stocks shoot better either, not if your wood stock is well bedded and all the wood properly sealed.

cool piece, interesting combination of a pistol grip, very American, with a cheek piece very Germanic, with a splinter forend and double triggers, very British. along with some nice walnut!
Thank you. It's a JP Sauer and Sohn. Great gun, one of the best purchases I've made.

I am the same way. My 700 classic has a few scars but they also are reminders of the places we have been. At a time in my life with 2 young kids and a new requiring me to be out of town alot those memories are certainly cherished. My father has a 700 BDL that was bought new in 1980 and topped with a gloss vari x III. It will be passed to me or my brother one day and then further down the line.
I have the same 700 BDL setup but circa 1976ish and in left handed. Ordered new...

Love wood, just can't be beat for warm and fuzzy feelings. The pair is a Chas Lancaster from 1930's the OU is one that has had 5-600,000 rounds thru it in competition stocked by Bret Umberger, the rifles are two Ballards in 40-65 and 45-70, the bolt gun is a 458 Lott made by Sterling Davenport in the 80's. Let's see some more nice wood!

Attachments

• shotgun wood.jpg
    shotgun wood.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • gun wood.jpg
    gun wood.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
So you pull the rifle out of the wood stock to keep it safe and put it in a comp stock for use. What do you to show it to someone? have them wait while you change stocks so it looks good? I have two rifle's that came with comp stocks. One was a gift from a girl friend, I dumped her and found a wood stock. The other was a Mossberg Patriot and the store was going to quit carrying them so wouldn't order me one with a wood stock. I bought it and walked in the house, got on the phone and called Mossberg for a wood stock before I even got it out of the box. I also don't believe comp stocks shoot better either, not if your wood stock is well bedded and all the wood properly sealed.
Don
The laminated stock I dropped it in is not too bad looking. I posted this picture on another thread here.609D91F6-3AD0-47FF-BE04-28458C4D2D35.jpeg

Not sure of the vintage of this JP Sauer & Sohn drilling, but that buttstock is lovely. Way too much cast off for me, but with a little work, it would be a great driven game gun (small game & boar out of a blind). 12x12x9.3x74R

IMG_20200930_165543.jpg

Id love to add another model 70 or a mark v to the arsenal. Both of which i think could be absolutely beautiful with some wood on them. Is there a weatherby that has better wood than the others?

Actually that is one of the best looking laminated stocks i have seen. Has that nice warm color and I am sure it is super stable.

I was rooting around and found some pre 64 model 70 factory stocks that I pulled off to make some custom project, one looks like a featherweight and one a standard. I am happy to send them to anyone who needs a replacement, not anything special and would be a good diy project to recut checkering and refinish. Free Just the cost of shipping, message me if interested and i will send pictures. I also have some pre 64 barrels.

Chicks dig scars, pain fades, glory lasts forever and a beat up wood stock has more stories than Hemingway at the bar.
Could not have said it better.
A 150 yrs and still gettin' it done.
YdiH6R8.jpg

I was rooting around and found some pre 64 model 70 factory stocks that I pulled off to make some custom project, one looks like a featherweight and one a standard. I am happy to send them to anyone who needs a replacement, not anything special and would be a good diy project to recut checkering and refinish. Free Just the cost of shipping, message me if interested and i will send pictures. I also have some pre 64 barrels.
Cool offer. Here is a stock I redid a few years ago

Back