Caribou Gear Tarp

What has changed in the last 80 years

I thought we were talking about guns? If so I would say CNC machines and overall better machining lots of great accurate rifles out there today

Great answers, thank's to all who have posted. I have spoken to some of you via conversation, but wanted to add the following thoughts since my last post.

Gary, open sights and 30/30--without a doubt, which sort of ties into my first post about everyone wanting to shoot --further, further, further, but you are certainly correct.

Mudranger1 (-;
noharluyyet (-:

Hunt for Elk--rifle was in the rack and openly displayed in many pick ups back in the day. And we were one of them
F-250--food plots and trophy hunting. Our food plots were our farm and I dont remember dad ever telling me to go out a bring a deer home for us, with the largest antlers.

---going back to Gary's post--speaking to some young fellows that did not think the Win 71 was a good rifle compared to the new BLR rifles, because the Win 71 is hard too scope

a couple of other things I have noticed.

the lack of courtesy in the field
High Fence Hunting--but this might be just me as I was never able to warm up to it.
Smelling the roses. When we hunted we "saw" nature, "enjoyed" nature--but the last couple times I was out with some folks, it was --get out, harvest the animal and get home.

I would like to thank all those who have posted on this thread as well a the "likes" that have been attached to posts----thanks guys

I'm only 64, so I'm speaking out of school...
30-30 was the standard & being taken over by 30-06.
A scope was a rarity.

In Iowa/Illinois in the past 40+ years... Deer went from being a rare sight to beyond carrying capacity. It was nothing to see coveys of Bobwhite quail and pheasants in ditches and fence rows, there are few of those around anymore and I really enjoy the rare call of a quail in the pasture during the summer. Wild turkeys didn't exist when I was a kid, I saw 34 in my field last week. And when you saw a varmint it was a fox, now fox are pretty rare and coyotes are a common sight.

Europe, this is a great idea for a thread. Though I do not have your requested 80 years to look back on, I will give you my thoughts of the changes over the last 45-50yrs.

NW Montana family late 1960's-through-today changes.

1. Growing up, each family member had one rifle to hunt with. I now own way to many rifles and long to buy more.
2. Growing up, our rifles resided in a closet corner. I now own three gun safes.
3. Growing up, the ammo for these rifles was hand-loaded using three different powders. I now have 25+ different powders in my reloading room.
4. Growing up, 50% of our rifles were scoped. Now 95% of my rifles are scoped and some of those scopes cost more than the rifle.
5. Growing up, three holes in the target, even close to the bullseye, was just fine for hunting. Now I need to hunt with a 1" or less shooting rifle.
6. Growing up, elk were found all over the backcountry. Now there are very few elk in the backcountry.
7. Growing up, we packed into the backcountry to hunt any elk. Now I hunt the backcountry to hunt for any elk sign.
8. Growing up, mule deer ruled the mountains and whitetails ruled the valley floors. Now mule deer are scarce and whitetails can be found everywhere.
9. Growing up, grizzly bear tracks would be seen several times a year in the backcountry. Now multiple grizzly bear tracks can be seen every day along with the bears themselves.
10. Growing up, a lone wolf track would be seen every few years. Now wolf tracks can make up the majority of tracks seen in a day of hunting.
11. Growing up, to actually see a mountain lion was rare. Now I have seen eight different lions in the last six years.
12. Growing up, Mtn Goats could be found in all the cliff rimmed basins of almost every drainage. Now Mtn Goats are almost gone in most areas.
13. Growing up, Moose numbers were very good. Now the MTFWP give out more tags than there are moose to fill them.
14. Growing up, we hunted for meat and were not concerned with antler size. I went through a few decades of antler-addiction but now have been cured. Now it is all about the hunt and not the size of the animal harvested.
15. I feel that I grew up and experienced Montana's public land hunting "Glory-Days". Montana's public land hunting of today is not even a shadow of what it once was.

Mtnhunter1

I agree that now you can buy high performance guns off the rack and do not have to have custom rounds to get that extra speed. Also the number of bullets for each caliber have increased debate over what is the best bullet, which has created bullet snobs. You had to walk behind the adults and keep your moth close and do what you were told the first time and had no problem understanding that rule. It was an honor to go not a right.
The things that are the same for me is, I still can not sleep and wake up every 20 minutes to make sure I do not over sleep. I start packing, sharpening knives and dreaming about that 400 class bull, even if I have a cow tag. As a senior guy, I tell more and more story's when sitting back visiting with other about upcoming and past hunts.

Speaking for myself (34) and my dad (79). From yesterday to today...

Grew up hunting in the deer camp country of north-central PA. He started with woolrich and army surplus. From days of a lot of deer when a ten was a real big deal (when they got their camp in mid 70s) to days of few (when I started hunting) and now to a more balanced but less dense herd. Now with antler point restrictions there is a way bigger focus on trophy quality and way fewer hunters that head to deer camp with average PA hunter getter older and older.

When he grew up everyone hunted small game and now barely anyone does. When he grew up pheasants were everywhere and they stocked turkeys. Now we have a lot of turkeys and they stock pheasants every year. All the places he grew up small game hunting outside Pittsburgh are now sub-divisions. No one lets you hunt on their property anymore without a fee or our of fear they'd be liable if you were injured while on their land.

My dad made his first trip west to the teton's in 1977 and headed north of Jackson. Got a moose, bull elk, and mulie buck all on a ten day trip. All with no points and on the same year of applying. Too bad he donated the moose rack because now that I know more of what a big Shiras was, his was big.

He and his buddies used to all cram in the same pick-up and drive out west with a make-shift bed in the back. Would post ads in the local papers looking for ranches to hunt on and often have people refuse to take any money for their offer. Especially when they told them they liked to hunt whitetails. The locals thought they were crazy and those were trash deer.

Still don't understand the deal with tags (especially elk). I get mule deer because numbers aren't what they used to be, habitat quality is suffering. But there's less nationwide hunters and more elk than ever and it seems harder than it used to be to get a tag? He still can't get over that I have to buy points to get an antelope tag. They used to buy them over the counter as an afterthought when they were in Wyoming.

Today I'm applying for points and using aerial mapping and digital stuff out the wazoo. He never considered heading west with a bow and I'd rather do that than anything. I think I have less dud trips because of all the planning but maybe he had more genuine adventure because they didn't exactly know what they were headed into.

Last edited:
The things that are the same for me is, I still can not sleep and wake up every 20 minutes to make sure I do not over sleep. I start packing, sharpening knives and dreaming about that 400 class bull, even if I have a cow tag. As a senior guy, I tell more and more story's when sitting back visiting with other about upcoming and past hunts.

I think if I ever start sleeping through the night on the night before hunting season starts, I’ll just quit hunting! 😂

I can only comment on what I've seen, and that covers over 50 years of observations on hunting in Western Montana.

Back during my tender years the kids got the hand me down rifles, whether it fit the kid or not. Most hunters wore poorly constructed boots that rarely were warm, or dry and never insulated. Usually it wasn't a matter how many tumbles you fell down the mountain but how many times a day you'd do lt. I had a 25 -35 model 94 Winchester that I carried my first year or two I think. Dad strung a rope over the barrel, and around the pistol grip for me. Of course it sucked. Most of our rifles had iron open sites of sorts, buck-horn, peep, etc. Shot my first Elk and deer with peep sight .300 Savage rifle. First nice buck with buck horn sight .308 at over 200 yrds. I remember the front sight on the rifle practically covered the deer up at that range. God smiled on me early. Got my first 4 x Weaver scope when I turned 15 years of age.

Many already pointed out that wool plaid jackets ruled the day and only when things got wet and cold did you break out the wool pants. Most of us used blue jeans over cotton long johns. During my tender years very few people could afford 4 wheel drive vehicles. Our family worked very hard to put together the funding to buy 2 Willey's Jeep Station wagons. Both had PTO winches on the front ends. There was no laws about off roading back then, so if we killed game anywhere there was an attempt to get as close as possible. I actually saw my uncle (4 years in the big war) dangle that green Willey's of his down a rock face to retrieve a bull another uncle killed. We all hunted together as a family unit, and the hunting was intended to get the winters meat supply. I saw horns tired in trees and left all the time back then. We never camped out, because living in Hamilton back then was a good base camp in it'self. You really didn't have to travel all that far. Six miles and you were hunting!

Much of the country was still virgin as far as roads and logging went. There was some roads punched in to log the big (30,000 acre Sleeping child fire of 1961) fires we had back then but that was about it. That was soon to change though, as there was a push to make roadless lands Wilderness, so there was a race to road and log as much as possible before it could be designated. The Bitterroot Forest was a very beautiful then. There was main arterial roads into most of the main drainage's, but far fewer collector roads than we have today. We used the road systems to get us up and above certain elk rich drainage's and then hunted down through them in a coordinated effort to jump game back and forth to each other. You could always find big bulls, and big buck deer. The landscape was far bigger and wilder than it is today for certain. We always felt that we had room to roam were no man had gone before. Well I can tell you that there is no stone that has not been unturned, nor any drainage that hasn't seen a man there in today's hunting environment. She all gets hit.

My first year hunting I thought 6 x 6 point bulls were the norm. We took 6 bulls of that size during my first legal year of hunting. You wore your knife, bullets, and a drag rope on your belt, or the rope was your belt with those things attached. I had a hat with pull down ear muffs, and some hunters wore stocking caps, so they could pull the cap down over their eyes for a cat nap while road hunting. You knew how to build fires and did it almost every day when snow flew.

Large predators were far and few in between, there was more coyotes, and bobcats though. Saw one Grizzly in 73 on top of Sleeping Child White Stallion area. We figured it was a bad bear the Park Service dumped. Saw a few cat tracks, but the bounty system on cats had just ended.

Very few hunters had optics on their rifles let alone for use as bino's for glassing. Much of the glassing was done with a scoped rifle.

There was lots of hunting camps in the hills back then, but mostly from NR hunters,and people from other parts of the state. The Bitterroot had one of the only either sex Elk seasons in the state back then and it drew a lot of hunters from all over. We had the Eastern invasion back in those days. Totally reverse of what's going on today. There was around 50,000 hunters back then, compared to over 140,000 today. Archery came in a few years later and very few people partook in it.

I never dreamed we would have elk living in the urban environments like we do today. Some elk migrated down during snow events, but after a few shots they learned their lessons quickly. Today it's not uncommon to see elk along side of hwy 93 at the leaving Hamilton sign. There might be as many Elk in the high country today as there was back then, but there wasn't many then.

With all the game I witnessed taken for years, there was no one getting "Stoked", or "High Fived". There wasn't hero shots taken, (like others have already stated).In fact a camera was considered bad luck to have and left at home. Nobody ever yelled out, screamed or cried when a animal was taken. It was considered good fortune and maybe a gift from god to get a elk. It was big news to all when a Elk was harvested. Everyone in town knew who got lucky. There was always a canteen of really hot whiskey that was passed around after the game was loaded. Even 12 year olds took the shot of whiskey. It was a right of passage back then.

Today's hunters have great gear, drive great vehicles that are very dependable and get you where ever you want to go. You have camping gear that will keep you warm and dry. Have equipment that can shoot thousands of yards, can tell you exactly how far that animal is to shoot, and can look over a mountain a mile away and maybe,(not really but close) see a turd on a gnats ass. It's far more comfortable, and civilized to go hunting today than yesteryear.

Last edited:
what fantastic posts--thank you. ALL excellent points ,some made me smile and remember " the good old days"

I am having a bad day, which happens when people get into their 80;s. so please forgive me if I forget to mention someone in my recap, it is not intentional as I enjoyed everyones comments--and I thank you all for your comments and likes

Shoots straight----what a great post. thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and history with us. The part about no camera's, no high five's, no hero shots were so-so true!

hank4elk, Gary, mtnhunter1, 30/30 with no scope--glad ot hear I was not the only one (-

MTTV, you also mentioned no photos and "goats" loved hunting goats.

Gut Shot---my son mentions the lack of fox and the increase in coyotes

mtnhunter1--we had a combination in the corner of the barn for varmints and birds, a 30/30 in the rack in the window of the pick up and our other guns in the corner of the closet in the house --no safe.

oleefish2, good point. Now some young people, feel "entitled"--on everything.

Aussie hunter ---very true

Wanderer--- good points. The part about harvesting a moose, elk and deer on the same trip was not unusual and it is why now when people comment about the large number of different species of animals I have harvested, it just wasn't that hard. We enjoyed Canada and Alaska and it was not impossible to harvest three different breeds of animals on one trip---plus you were allowed to bring the white bear hide home with you--(-:

I once again want to thank all those who contributed to this thread. I have enjoyed reading each of your posts and many brought back fond memories, thank you

p.s. I stand corrected----A couple of fellows here I have known for several years and they reminded me that I have hunted a high wire ranch. both in Africa. one was 40,000 acres and one was 80,000 acres--, they were high wire ranches

Last edited:
I have always hunted with a .30 of some flavor. Today, I can make those .30 caliber bullets fly really fast and flat. I sure relate to shoots post though. mtmuley

In the midwest.. Picking out a stump or log and freezing your butt off on opening day morning; to everyone putting up a enclosed tree house with heat.

4. scopes--this has been a good change as you now dont have to buy an expensive German scope to get good glass. Scopes have changed for the better
I agree Europe, you don't 'have' to buy German glass, but, the shooting hours in the UK allow us to shoot 30 minutes longer than in the US morning and evening, it's then that you realise the extra bit of cash spent is well spent, nothing can match German optics, and that's quite an admission coming from a Brit!

We have been able to purchase sound moderators (suppressors) for several years now, apart from the hearing protection they do have the added bonus of momentarily confusing the deer so you can get another shot or 2 in, no tags required here, shoot as many as you like. However, I don't like them, in my opinion they unbalance a perfectly designed and balanced rifle.

The latest innovation to hit my country are thermal imaging devices, they are quite a revelation.

Europe, when do you get home to Arizona?

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
I have not been around for 80 years. I'm 46 and been an avid hunter for 26 year. I can certainly say that in that time I've seen a shift in the thought process of shoot/don't shoot that I really dislike. Back in the day the philosophy was that if you're not sure you can make the shot you don't try it. Now it seems I hear more and more people saying things like - how do you know you can't make the shot unless you try it. There is an inherent lack of respect for the game animal in this. Everybody seems to think they can shoot 600yds with a rifle and 80yds with a bow. Not a great trend in my opinion, but I try not to judge. Much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back