Fixed Power Scopes

WalkingBird

Hey Y'all,
What fixed power scopes do you guys prefer? I've been debating on putting a 4x or 6x scope on my M70 featherweight 7mm-08 and I'd like something with a "classic" look to it. The rifle is currently sporting a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40, but I'm 1/2 thinking about getting another rifle and might put that on the new one (kind of a convoluted line of thinking, but anything goes in trying to get a new rifle past the better half). It's going to be a bit before I purchase, but in looking around online it looks like most places are sold out of the FX-II scopes, did Leupold quit making them? What options are there other than Leupy? I've read about the Weaver K series, but it seems like they've been discontinued as well?

Really like carrying the 25-06 #1/FXII 6x36 Glossy....period-aesthetics correct, clear/bright, good relief, and simple

I hunted deer, antelope, and elk successfully with an old 4 power Realist scope on my Remington 7 mag for forty years before finally investing in a much better quality Leupold 3 to 9 power. I now hunt with the scope set at 6 power almost exclusively.

IMO, it's somewhat of a personal preference and influenced by how and where you hunt, but WalkingBird, your plan sounds good.

Asking in ignorance: is there any advantage to a 6x over a 3-9x in the same price range? Are they optically better performing? Are they lighter? Are they cheaper? I've seen some pretty nice 3-9x and some pretty light 2-7x variables for about $200...why should I look at fixed?

IMO, not really. Today's variables are reliable thru the power range with coatings and optic quality availing clear/brightness.

Asking in ignorance: is there any advantage to a 6x over a 3-9x in the same price range? Are they optically better performing? Are they lighter? Are they cheaper? I've seen some pretty nice 3-9x and some pretty light 2-7x variables for about $200...why should I look at fixed?
The best hunter I know hunts with a 10x42. I tried it but wasn’t a fan.

I will be running a SWFA 10x42, fairly lightweight at 19oz and I like the reticle. They also make a really nice fixed power with HD glass for more money.

In theory, a fixed scope will be brighter, lighter, cheaper and more reliable than a comparable variable scope due to significantly fewer parts/less glass. In practice YMMV. FWIW - I like the flexibility of variable and have not had a problem getting scopes at at the quality/price/weight that I wanted.

I chose a fixed 4x fir my new rifle. Like others have said, I usually had my variable set around 4x anyway when hunting....

I've had a Leopold straight 6 on my 30.06 for 25 years. I hunt with variables on other rifles. Both good. What annoys me most is hunters fumbling with turrets for long range shots and still flubbing the shot badly.
Most times my variables stay on the same setting.
I didnt even know that fixed scopes were still manufactured.

Fixed power scopes....
How Daniel Boone !!!
The time period, not the person.

With today's variable power scopes, I can't think of a single reason to take a fixed power scope hunting.
Known distance target shooting, yeah, I could see that.

I have used a 3X9, or a 3.5X10 for so many year I can't remember. Max power for the range & load development, after that it has been set on either the lowest in heavy brush, or no more than than 5X. I missed a shot at my 1st 'Lope because I cranked it up 9X after spending a hour getting within 200 yds then because of some other Ya-Who horseback hunters ran the buck into some Mesquite, and busted out less than 30 yds. I couldn't follow the buck in the scope at that power.

Point being. Use a Variable. High end to sight in....Low end to hunt. I like 5X.

I have an old used 4X BSA on my 35 Wheelen. Scope I bought for it didn't clear the hammer, and the guy I was sighting it in with gave me the set 4. I have no problem with it and have come to like it. For me it's a woods gun with 20-100yds shots, but mostly inside 50yds. My dad borrows it a lot and is not a fan of it, so I'll change it next season for an adjustable one.

Put a 6x Leupold on my 25-06 quite a few years ago. It just keeps holding zero, just fine.
2008 buck:
KaCBvzql.jpg

2018 buck at 355 yards:
udxbhYdl.jpg

Same rifle, same scope. Year after year. Near or far. Never any trouble. I have another 6x Leupold, the smaller version with the 36mm objective lens) on my 30-06 rifle as well.

I think I just like the simplicity and the bright image is quite nice.

Regards, Guy

Reactions: FLS
Fixed power scopes....
How Daniel Boone !!!
The time period, not the person.

With today's variable power scopes, I can't think of a single reason to take a fixed power scope hunting.
Known distance target shooting, yeah, I could see that.
I can the swfa 10x can hang with any high end scope out there. It’s simple and durable. Start adding variable power and first focal plain and the price for durability and reliability is going to have to go way up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back