First-hand experiences of women hunters

It’s never been a fashion show or special fitting for the occasion. You wear what you can get into that’ll get the job done. No such thing as gender likely arises in those moments of decision making.

We've had a handful of threads pop up about how women are treated differently by the hunting community. Here is an article with some first hand accounts of how women have experienced hunting.

I'd like to hear reactions to the article or even stories of your own. I think this is an important topic that hunters need to address, and we've done a lackluster job so far.

Ground rules:
  1. Personal opinions, experiences, and critiques are welcome, but please stay on topic.
  2. Respect others. No personal attacks.
  3. If you can't abide by #1 and #2, refrain from posting.
  4. Off-season discussions seem to have a tendency to devolve and/or go off the rails. Expect moderators to enforce #1 and #2.
Female or male makes no difference to me. Never has, never will. Co-hunters you hunt with or encounter are just that... CO- HUNTERS! Everyone makes due to get the job at hand done.

It’s never been a fashion show or special fitting for the occasion. You wear what you can get into that’ll get the job done. No such thing as gender likely arises in those moments of decision making.
It has nothing to do with fashion. Everything to do with function. What’s the problem if women want clothes that function as well as what men have?

I wonder if clothing companies aren't seeing enough profit to make full lines of ladies hunting clothes. If I had a company it would come down to bottom dollar. At the end of the day I doubt they care who they make clothes for as long as profit margins are good.

I'd be curious to hear of the examples of privileges white women experience....a bulleted list would be fine.

Some interesting perspectives in the article. Some I am familiar with from my own personal experience, others I can not relate to. I think this topic is very nuanced. Obviously not all women feel the same on every point. I've posted some of this stuff before, but since it's relevant subject matter I'll post it again.

I was never encouraged to hunt, though it was just a foregone conclusion that my brothers would. I didn't take hunter's safety as a kid, but the boys took it as soon as they were old enough. My dad did start taking me shooting from the time I started kindergarten and I am thankful for that. I don't know why hunting was different. Now that we are all grown up, I'm the only one that hunts.

In my adult life, I've been very lucky to have met my husband and his family who have been beyond supportive in teaching me how to hunt. Two of the biggest influences are/were that older white guy demographic. I've also been extremely lucky to have great men around me that have been supportive, patient, generous with their time and knowledge both professionally and with regards to hunting (which for me have significant overlap). Terminology like "pale, male and stale" really irritates me. You can't make your point about being judged by your race/gender by doing the same damn thing. It pisses me off to see these guys bashed in the media all the time just because of their demographic. Some of my biggest allies belong to that same demographic, and all that does is make them want to quit trying and that's definitely not what we need.

All that said, I have certainly experienced some things that I perceive as being because of my gender. I still distinctly remember walking into a sporting goods store in Bozeman to buy a gun. I had done my research, already been around town to several shops to handle and price check. This store had the gun I wanted at the best price. The guy behind the counter pulled every gun out except the one I wanted and was almost aggressive in his assertion that that was not the right gun for me. In the end, I walked out, drove across town and paid more to get the gun I wanted. Even when shopping for guns with my husband, I would say 80% of the time the salesperson will try to hand the gun to him instead of me, even if I'm the one that asked to look at it. Hunting Husband's general response is to stand there with hands in pockets and nod in my direction, which I find kind of comical in the moment. In the grand scheme of things in my life, I'm not losing sleep over this one. I suspect the reality is gun counter folks still don't see a lot of women shopping for guns for themselves so whatever. Eventually it will be more normal...this stuff doesn't just happen over night.

I do admit to not being more involved in sportmen's groups because of the weird dynamics that tend to happen between the women and the men. From my experience: The groups that draw a younger demographic have an almost "frat" vibe, the cute women are fawned over, the older/less "attractive" (lacking a better term here) are invisible. Few women of either group are treated like a peer. The groups drawing an older demographic tend to be dominated by the classic good ole boys that aren't really interested in what the women have to say. Neither is super appealing. I'll donate my money to the cause, but I don't go to events anymore for the most part. But I also don't find women's only chapters all that appealing either, because I don't want to be a "woman hunter". I find a lot of their focus or content to be sort of remedial, and I feel even more segregated if that makes any sense. I know, I confuse myself here. Clearly it's complicated. I don't know what I'm looking for or where I fit in but I know I haven't found it yet.

I do feel like the Instagram selfie "huntress" with no actual hunting content is detrimental to women being taken seriously in the hunting world. Focusing on looks rather than skills is unhelpful no matter who is putting it out there. Sure, be cute but put out some substantive content and not just selfies please.

I can't say I've ever had an overtly negative experience in the field while hunting, but I also tend to avoid other hunters as a general practice. I've had a couple of times either walking back to or leaving from the truck where I've been gawked at. I generally attribute it to being a novelty. There have been one or two however that stared for kind of a creepy amount of time and I did have a momentary thought of "Is this guy going to give me trouble?" So far, they have not but I've definitely had my spidey-senses go off a time or two. For the most part though, when someone is a straight-up ass or pulls some dick move out there, I usually just assume it's who they are and they would do it to anyone. It happens when I'm alone, and it happens when Hunting Husband and I are together, and I have so far never perceived it happening because I'm a woman.

On two occasions that I have killed what many would consider "nice" animals, we've run into people on the pack out or at the truck and both times the other party ooh'd and aah'd over the antlers then congratulated my husband on the kill. Even though I'm standing there covered in blood and carrying a pack, it never occurred to them that I killed those. That is interesting. I can't say I find it overly offensive...more amusing than anything.

I don't particularly need articles like this to make men feel uncomfortable, just aware. And I don't expect men to always know what to say or do when they are talking to or running into women out in the field or whatever because I think these topics become so charged they give people a deer-in-the-headlights reaction. It's ok if it still seems weird to run into a woman out there. Just be nice and talk hunting. That shouldn't be so hard.
Hi: You really have a great perspective! I feel very much like you do, and am also a woman; it's not a big deal for me to be alone hiking, camping or fishing, in fact that's how I like it & I've been doing it for 40+ years. Now that I'm older I want to learn big game hunting and have no one to teach me in the empty of Western Wyoming. I would prefer to have a woman teach me, only because my previous male teachers seem to think I'm barely capable of learning the skills necessary and talk down to me. I am strong, a pretty good shot, can be out in the snow and rain without complaining. I know how to find my way with a compass and map, and though slower now, I persevere. How do I find a teacher willing to teach without judgement?

Hi: You really have a great perspective! I feel very much like you do, and am also a woman; it's not a big deal for me to be alone hiking, camping or fishing, in fact that's how I like it & I've been doing it for 40+ years. Now that I'm older I want to learn big game hunting and have no one to teach me in the empty of Western Wyoming. I would prefer to have a woman teach me, only because my previous male teachers seem to think I'm barely capable of learning the skills necessary and talk down to me. I am strong, a pretty good shot, can be out in the snow and rain without complaining. I know how to find my way with a compass and map, and though slower now, I persevere. How do I find a teacher willing to teach without judgement?
I’m not super familiar with options in Wyoming, but I did find info for the 2021 Becoming an Outdoorswoman program. The Beyond program looks specific to hunting...that may be one option, though the deadline to apply is rapidly approaching:

If a full-on program isn’t your style, you could try calling your local Game and Fish office and see whether they have a mentorship program. Or if you have a local sportsmen’s group, you could attend some meetings and try to meet some other like-minded folks to see if you hit it off with someone who might be willing to take you out or even let you tag along. Honestly, I tagged along with my future-hubby and FIL for a couple of years before I actually had a tag of my own, and learned plenty just by observing. Plus it might let you feel out whether this person might be a good teacher for you.

It’s not always easy to find mentors, but I think it’s even harder to find female mentors. I would not count out the guys. Finding a hunting partner in any capacity that you get along with and trust is hard in my experience. Don’t give up.

I just finished reading this thread, am reminded of an alleged conversation:

Lewis: "We've gone a long way."
Clark: "We've a long way to go."

No matter your views on this topic, accosting forum members via PM based on their gender is low.

NSSF claims that 22% of hunters are women. That seems high to me, as I haven’t observed that kind of participation where I live.

I taught Hunter Ed for 25 years and saw many young women taking the course, but don’t know how many actually took to the field and hunted. The later years, I did observe a shift to more adults taking the course and the % of students that were in their early teens did decline.

Seeing the dynamic of Hunter Ed and the impact it had on hunting in general, I could see a trend that is still disturbing in the sport of hunting. Recruiting women into hunting is important, yet I feel the need to motivate our young people even more.

Both groups make up a large portion of our society and yet it still appears to be a”Good Ol’ Boy” club.

As hunters, we need to embrace others to join us in our love for the sport, as it is attacked by many that don’t understand the conservation aspects that hunting brings to wildlife management. It is hard for non-hunters to understand how killing animals can actually be a positive force in the existence of that resource.

I applaud women that want to join men in the outdoor pursuits, and welcome their enthusiasm and support. Don’t think that the guys behind the gun counters consider women too much less than men as I have experienced the same treatment in many sporting goods stores. Qualifications to work behind a counter at a sporting goods store aren’t much and as such, many of those people feel empowered by their position and want to extol their vast knowledge on anyone on the other side of the counter.

In the field, the presence of women needs to be recognized and encouraged, but marketing is what leaves women out of the picture, as products are sold to the masses and the perception of masses is men. I do use a lot of Simms gear and they have recognized the importance of modifying their product lines to include women’s sizes and styles. Other companies have followed suit, it may not be all inclusive, but it still is the residue of marketing.

The 21st Century is producing a different type of hunter and women are certainly a growing part of that paradigm. I hope that all of us recognize this shift from the 20th century and help to make women feel welcome in a sport that needs more unity that many of the participants recognize.

I’m not super familiar with options in Wyoming, but I did find info for the 2021 Becoming an Outdoorswoman program. The Beyond program looks specific to hunting...that may be one option, though the deadline to apply is rapidly approaching:

If a full-on program isn’t your style, you could try calling your local Game and Fish office and see whether they have a mentorship program. Or if you have a local sportsmen’s group, you could attend some meetings and try to meet some other like-minded folks to see if you hit it off with someone who might be willing to take you out or even let you tag along. Honestly, I tagged along with my future-hubby and FIL for a couple of years before I actually had a tag of my own, and learned plenty just by observing. Plus it might let you feel out whether this person might be a good teacher for you.

It’s not always easy to find mentors, but I think it’s even harder to find female mentors. I would not count out the guys. Finding a hunting partner in any capacity that you get along with and trust is hard in my experience. Don’t give up.

I was ask to respond to the post made by - western Wyoming - and there is not much I can add to what what hunting wife has already told you. she has given you very good advise.

As stated, when looking for someone to teach you, it is the person, not the gender. Someone ( be it male or female ) that both wants to teach and has the time to do so. This would be my problem, no time. So my shortness with someone would be coming from the lack of time available. Personally I would look for an older person, who has hunted all their life and enjoys teaching. They will have the time and the patience .

Best of luck

Mentoring a new hunter is one of the most rewarding aspects of hunting for me. At first, the mentee is clueless how to think strategically. As experience is gained, it brings a smile to the face of the mentor to see the progress. to see the thinking before action. to weighing the options and making a choice. to recognizing why that choice was right...or more likely wrong....but learning the lesson. the perfect example of this is understanding the importance of wind (or thermals). you can tell them 100 times but they will most likely have to learn that one the hard way!

i am having a blast mentoring my kids. my daughter and I got our MT elk and deer tags today in the mail. excitement is running high!

if you find a good mentor, they will enjoy your hunt as much as you do. best of luck in your search!

Thank you Hunting Wife for all this great advice! I did check out the BOW program, but its structure and cost were prohibitive. If someone would let me tag along on a hunt, I'd be grateful to learn, so I will look further and ask more about mentors at the WGFD and other places. I'm not against a male mentor, it's just more comfortable, more supportive, less, I don't know, testosterone with another woman. I did just find some good advice from Colorado Parks & Wildlife. https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH2-L09.aspx There's a lot to learn!

Thank you Hunting Wife for all this great advice! I did check out the BOW program, but its structure and cost were prohibitive. If someone would let me tag along on a hunt, I'd be grateful to learn, so I will look further and ask more about mentors at the WGFD and other places. I'm not against a male mentor, it's just more comfortable, more supportive, less, I don't know, testosterone with another woman. I did just find some good advice from Colorado Parks & Wildlife. https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH2-L09.aspx There's a lot to learn!
There aren't a lot of people that I want to spend my vacation time with, I'm not sure I'd waste my time hanging out with someone I didn't like simply to learn something that I could learn via the internet.

Most of my hunting was self taught, my first couple of hunts were with someone but I think the most important lessons I got out of those hunts were 1. I wanted to keep hunting 2. That's a really dumb way to do that... you have mentors on this forum that can help you figure a lot of stuff out.

My unsolicited advice, do it solo or with a friend that's also interested in hunting even if they are a total beginner. What YouTube videos to figure our specific things, gutless method, skinning etc, and then just learn from experience. You will screw up a ton, but you will learn a lot, and in many ways the lessons will stick better. You know to pay attention to the wind, not because Jeff said to, but because you blew out deer 15 times.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back