Significance of Photography in Hunting

I like your boat, your dog, your pictures and I bet I would have liked to have known your dad. Great photos!

The problem for me, is how to keep them and enjoy them. In the end, I think I have to get serious about printing them. Somehow that seems overwhelming for no particular reason that makes sense to me.

I take lots of pictures while I am hunting with my cell phone camera. I sort them by species and by year on my external hard drive. When I am bored I look back at them.

I have a shop that I am in the process of building a small office in. I am planning on one of the outside walls having a board with nothing but pictures of hunts and other memorable times on it. Just seeing this thread reminded me that I need to print out pictures of the last couple of years of hunts. On the back of the picture I am writing the names, location and info about the picture. I have so many pictures that my grandparents took in black and white and nobody can remember who some of the people are in them. I am hoping when my great grandkids look at these they can turn them over and realize who was in the picture.

I tend to get more pics of my hunting partner. Still good memories.
49391930083_181e2ff204_k.jpg

I've been an amateur photographer forever.

Nearly all my hunts had photos. Some are scenery, flowers, sunrises, critters and at times, trophies. Each photo, a moment in time.

These are my first two kids.

Alaska Kids.JPG

We lived off the grid. Wood stove for heat, out house out back. I solo hunted big game then, but took these guys along for small game. I'm going to dig around a bit, scan some photos. Every picture, has a story!

Pictures are pretty important to me as well. I organize by month and year and like to look back through the memories. Someday when I am old and can get out as much then the pictures will be what I have to look back on. At least that's how I think about it now

I like your boat, your dog, your pictures and I bet I would have liked to have known your dad. Great photos!

The problem for me, is how to keep them and enjoy them. In the end, I think I have to get serious about printing them. Somehow that seems overwhelming for no particular reason that makes sense to me.

It may seem daunting, but I have a subscription to Adobe lightroom. It's about $10/mo. It is a photo editing software, but it saves all photo in the cloud, and you can file/sort/organize them any way you'd like. I think it's well worth it. There are probably many other electronic storage options as well.

It may seem daunting, but I have a subscription to Adobe lightroom. It's about $10/mo. It is a photo editing software, but it saves all photo in the cloud, and you can file/sort/organize them any way you'd like. I think it's well worth it. There are probably many other electronic storage options as well.
I lost all of my pictures except for a few that I had printed from 2001 to 2006 +/- when my computer got stolen. There were a bunch of memories I will never get to see again. I now have all of my pictures on two different computers and backed up on an external drive.

I lost all of my pictures except for a few that I had printed from 2001 to 2006 +/- when my computer got stolen. There were a bunch of memories I will never get to see again. I now have all of my pictures on two different computers and backed up on an external drive.

I use an external hard drive to store all my documents and pictures. I replace the external drive about every 3 years too because the technology changes. I don't trust cloud drives period. I came from IT field before I took my current and probably final job before I retire and just not confident of the security provided with cloud drives. My former website got hacked from management servers on a cloud drive system so it will be a spell before I trust cloud drives again.

It helps to have some “insurance” by taking some pics along the way not knowing how much you might appreciate them later. My dad is severely disabled and hasn’t been able to hunt or fish for 20 years. I have exactly one pic of us on a boat together, and one pic of us on a hunting trip. I wish I had more, although I am very grateful for those two pictures! Some pictures are very personal and I’ll likely never share on here or social media, such as my first solo self-guided public land deer, and a pic of my very first time hunting where I have a huge grin on my face.

That being said sometimes a camera or phone can distract from living in the moment, so a few days out a year I’ll ditch both and just keep the experience entirely to myself.

Good to know. That program also allows you to save on hard drive, which I do on the ones I really don't want to loose.

I really need to start taking more pics. This thread has made me sad I dont have more memories framed on the wall.

I use an external hard drive to store all my documents and pictures. I replace the external drive about every 3 years too because the technology changes. I don't trust cloud drives period. I came from IT field before I took my current and probably final job before I retire and just not confident of the security provided with cloud drives. My former website got hacked from management servers on a cloud drive system so it will be a spell before I trust cloud drives again.

Will I even remember how to open those pictures or find them on a computer, cloud, etc, when I'm sitting in my chair with drool running down my chin and having a hard time remembering the name of the attendant who wipes it dry again... I want paper. FWIW, my wife gave me a printed book of Gus Pics for Christmas. She collected her favorites and arranged them in some sort of website program that some company has and they print it out as a book and mailed it to her. Pretty damn cool!

Some may not like, meh, to each his/her own, a DJI Mini brings together amazing scenery and capture the moment in video (and stills) and compliments the handheld photos.
It's pretty incredible!

I think a lot of picture memories are being lost because so many people now days only take pics on their phone. Even if those pics are uploaded into the cloud, if something were to happen the picture taker, how would those pics be accessed and enjoyed by other family members?
Without actual photographs my family wouldn't be able to relive these memories anymore.

My son at about 4 years old on a fishing trip. DSCN0790.JPG

My dad with one of his last bucks when he was about 75.
DSCN0801.JPG
My son with his first bull in 2015.
DSCN0380.JPG

Good memories right there Gr8! Brings back memories of my own... lost pictures that were only created once and remained with one family member within that great family tree. I think it's a flip... one way or the other. Either available for those shared via FB, IG, etc... or one set of pics in one person's hands. There is the ability to send a link to photo albums on a google cloud to family and friends. a usb card to hold pics and videos. There is that physical touch of ole Kodak or Polaroid photo paper though...

I recall my grandfather bringing out the ole carousel slide projector (retired Kodakman from good ole Rochester, NY), face it towards the wall and the family would enjoy the show. I've no clue who has those slides...

Regardless, fantastic photos I bet you cherish!

Sytes you are absolutely correct but I don't do social media so that wouldn't work for me.
I'm sure a lot of you older guys have albums full of of pics or a box of pics in the closet, you younger guys probably not.
I really get a kick out of going through that box of pics every now and then.

The invention of the phone skope attachment and the fact that pretty much everyone has a smart phone now turns that spotting scope into a really nice telephoto lens. No excuses for not having photos now. You are already gonna have the spotter and the phone with you on most hunts out west.

Back