Significance of Photography in Hunting

I like pictures especially for hunting, like this duck that I’m not going to mount but is such a pretty bird!

Attachments

• 0F1A5B67-27A7-4BFC-A503-69D8D1316D45.jpeg
    0F1A5B67-27A7-4BFC-A503-69D8D1316D45.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
So when I’m alone and set a timer on the camera does that make me guilty of taking selfies?!

I only regret the pictures I didn’t take. When I was 15 I killed my first whitetail with a bow, I did the scouting, hung the stand, made the kill, recovery and cleaned it completely by myself. But I never got a picture... If I could have that picture of that tiny doe it would be framed proudly on the wall of the man cave today. I’ll have the memory until death or old age takes it away, but it would sure be nice to be able to show my little girl a picture of it as I’m telling her my stories one day. Pictures in hunting are most definitely important to take. And I don’t think I’ll ever look back and think “man I took way too many pictures”

For decades I never took pics and now I wish I had. I have been shooting the same A5 since the late 70s and now I wish I had pics of us growing old and ugly together. I was a skinny kid with thick black curly hair and my A5 was shiny and new. Would have been cool to put together fast frame images through the years. There are many other times and subjects that I wish I had.
20191019_122138.jpg

I would not hunt without a camera. Pictures of stuff I don't kill, animate and inanimate are valuable to me. Great memories rekindled each time I look at them.

Although not arrowing this bull in attached photo, standing broadside when I was at full draw in chip shot range BOTH times I called it in brings back a small pang of regret and I keep it close as a reminder to try to be smart when opportunity smacks you in the face so deliberately. Took this photo with a cheapo camera as the bull was walking back to his cows. I thought I could do better. hahahahaha

I almost always have a compact camera stuffed in my pocket, lately with at least 20x optical zoom, usually more. Nothing. fancy but effective. When I’m getting out of the truck to go hunt I strap on my bow release, gather up whatever calls and other essentials and put my camera pocket standard practice as part of my standard gear. I don’t even keep my camera in case cuz I want it ready to go fast so I end up beating up a camera every few years and replace.

Also always have phone skope ready to go on phone for entire hunt for times I see cool stuff with spotting scope.

Photos are 90 percent of the ‘trophy’ to me. As Dinkshooter saw just yesterday ALL my bulls that I did not let the dogs use as chew toys are sitting on the floor of my basement pool room, not hanging on a wall. I look at the photos when I want to take a trip down memory lane for a hunt.
A321F226-0E27-49FB-9E39-87A4EFDB7C59.jpeg

Last edited:
I appreciate the input to my post and amazed at some of the fantastic images people posted. I have bought a remote operated camera I can operate while I "pose" with my antelope or elk next year (maybe this year for antelope if I get the grand daddy I have been chasing for about 4 weeks now). I don't normally go after trophies but I do have one type 1 antelope tag I am after and I definitely want pictures of that if I succeed. I got until Dec 31 to fill that one plus a type 8 doe tag. Keep posting them images. I love them.

Me myself, I really wished my family was more into taking pictures. It would of definitely help with bring back memories when I went back to look at them. I would of loved to have pictures of my first elk that my dad yelled at me for buying the tag when I was 16 and told me I would never get close to one.

A fellow I was fishing with in Alaska - we were fly fishing for silver salmon - asked me why I paused to take so many photos when I could be catching more fish. I grinned and just said that I liked the photos too. We could only keep four fish a day, and were landing at least 20 a day...

He understood better when I sent him photos I'd snapped of he and his beautiful wife fishing together on that remote Alaskan river. :)

How often do we get to fish or hunt some of these places? Perhaps not often. But the photos... They can bring smiles for generations.

A fellow I was fishing with in Alaska - we were fly fishing for silver salmon - asked me why I paused to take so many photos when I could be catching more fish. I grinned and just said that I liked the photos too. We could only keep four fish a day, and were landing at least 20 a day...

He understood better when I sent him photos I'd snapped of he and his beautiful wife fishing together on that remote Alaskan river. :)

How often do we get to fish or hunt some of these places? Perhaps not often. But the photos... They can bring smiles for generations.

If after a successful elk/moose/deer hunt someone put a gun to my head and said you can pick two, antlers, pictures, meat I know what I would be taking home.

All the years hunting with my dad as a kid there was never a camera in camp. So many great camps and memories not captured on pics.
When I met my future wife she had a great 35mm Cannon that took awesome pics but of course it was pretty big. I then started carrying those disposable cameras and they actually worked pretty good. Now I carry a digital camera in my pocket and take a lot of pics because you can always delete the ones that aren't that good.

Reactions: Guy
I've been an avid amateur photographer since grade school. I rarely go anywhere without a camera and my life is documented on film and in digital images. Hunting trip photos are more than just the animals but most everything I experience along the way. If you don't carry a camera you can't capture the incredible opportunities that come your way.

Because the game isn’t the trophy... the memories are

Attachments

• 2B2CAEAC-5F57-4C6B-BEDA-F4B2A4D03846.jpeg
    2B2CAEAC-5F57-4C6B-BEDA-F4B2A4D03846.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 85FA7E2A-D8D5-4231-9793-1F215A8D48D5.jpeg
    85FA7E2A-D8D5-4231-9793-1F215A8D48D5.jpeg
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 14
  • D812ACDC-8A3B-465B-9375-631EC490072A.jpeg
    D812ACDC-8A3B-465B-9375-631EC490072A.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 15
  • B0C8AEF6-174C-4B35-81F4-9DEA6A7D793F.jpeg
    B0C8AEF6-174C-4B35-81F4-9DEA6A7D793F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • AE926DB7-5EB2-408C-8282-FABC0F1D157D.jpeg
    AE926DB7-5EB2-408C-8282-FABC0F1D157D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • A36E1E34-A7CC-440A-B4AA-A9C74AC7C74D.jpeg
    A36E1E34-A7CC-440A-B4AA-A9C74AC7C74D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
I did pretty much all my Western hunting in CO and WY over a period of 15 years before returning to NC and then made pilgrimages back to CO for mulie and elk as long as my father was game, and of all the lovely snow and cold and slimy bentonite clay and beautiful vistas encountered over those years the image which remains burned into the cortex was a morning where I was sitting atop a ridge in the Routt NF West of Cowdrey, facing into the approaching sunrise with about two feet of snow in most places and the brutally cold morning had the clear blue sky full of minute ice crystals which were sparkling like jewels and the star attraction was a coyote about 125 yards down the sagebrush covered slope jumping up in the air and nose diving into a 3 foot snow bank over and over trying to snag a mouse.

I have pictures of my late 87 year old grandfather getting up in the Woods after white tails. I will never forget those days.

take a camera, write in a journal and reflect. My dad started me on a hunting journal in 1993 when I started. I wrote a blurb about each day and cherish reading those from time to time.

Used to be about getting the biggest buck, now it’s about getting out and doing things that most don’t do.

I've always enjoyed photography since I was a kid. I took a long break from it when I started college, but now I'm getting back into it. Usually, I just take pictures with my phone while out hunting, but I have a DSLR and zoom lens I use at other times of year. I'm looking forward to getting after the waterfowl in the spring with my camera.

What's the significance? This picture is of my Dad on what would be our last hunt together. He was about a year into an Alzheimer's diagnosis. I will always cherish this hunt and this picture. The second photo is of my dog in our "Ducker" boat which belonged to my grandfather, then dad, now me.

Dad Mallard.jpgCheyenne.jpg

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back