Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First-hand experiences of women hunters

A note on calibers....everyone will like you if you say good things about the 7mm-08 (aka 7mm Hunttalk) and make fun of those that shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor (aka 6.5 Manbun)! :D

So tell us about your experience getting into hunting so far. Have you been out?

I personally enjoying teaching people how to suck badly at hunting. Really teaches you to love hunting when you suck terribly at it. Doesn't matter how long you have been hunting for, mistakes get made every step of the way and each time you learn something. Also if you really wanna be successful every year. just hit one with your truck.

All jokes aside. Some people are just not patient enough to teach. If your the high speed kind of hunter, dont offer to teach. New hunters are just that, new... Gender doesnt make a difference, when your new, your slow. This will be my 4th year elk hunting, I've learned to hunt with people that are of your own speed and capability. Much easier to make decisions when you are on an even playing field.

A note on calibers....everyone will like you if you say good things about the 7mm-08 (aka 7mm Hunttalk) and make fun of those that shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor (aka 6.5 Manbun)! :D

So tell us about your experience getting into hunting so far. Have you been out?
Uh oh, I believe I've wandered into uncharted (for me) waters. Let me get back to you on that 7mm-08 vs. 6.5 Creedmoor. I've been sage-grouse hunting with shotgun and I love to fish. I also join my falconer partner on occasion. I have wandered into many an elk herd but so far have not shot at one. There, I said it.

Fun was had! This is sage-grouse central: big, big sagebrush/grassland valley; many leks and abundant winter range. I had a beautiful Brittany who helped out and it was a simple thing to find them. They're beautiful birds but I think I'll let them be and enjoy them when they fly like B-52s over the pasture. Besides, there are plenty of ruffed grouse in the woods.

NSSF claims that 22% of hunters are women. That seems high to me, as I haven’t observed that kind of participation where I live.

I taught Hunter Ed for 25 years and saw many young women taking the course, but don’t know how many actually took to the field and hunted. The later years, I did observe a shift to more adults taking the course and the % of students that were in their early teens did decline.

Seeing the dynamic of Hunter Ed and the impact it had on hunting in general, I could see a trend that is still disturbing in the sport of hunting. Recruiting women into hunting is important, yet I feel the need to motivate our young people even more.

Both groups make up a large portion of our society and yet it still appears to be a”Good Ol’ Boy” club.

As hunters, we need to embrace others to join us in our love for the sport, as it is attacked by many that don’t understand the conservation aspects that hunting brings to wildlife management. It is hard for non-hunters to understand how killing animals can actually be a positive force in the existence of that resource.

I applaud women that want to join men in the outdoor pursuits, and welcome their enthusiasm and support. Don’t think that the guys behind the gun counters consider women too much less than men as I have experienced the same treatment in many sporting goods stores. Qualifications to work behind a counter at a sporting goods store aren’t much and as such, many of those people feel empowered by their position and want to extol their vast knowledge on anyone on the other side of the counter.

In the field, the presence of women needs to be recognized and encouraged, but marketing is what leaves women out of the picture, as products are sold to the masses and the perception of masses is men. I do use a lot of Simms gear and they have recognized the importance of modifying their product lines to include women’s sizes and styles. Other companies have followed suit, it may not be all inclusive, but it still is the residue of marketing.

The 21st Century is producing a different type of hunter and women are certainly a growing part of that paradigm. I hope that all of us recognize this shift from the 20th century and help to make women feel welcome in a sport that needs more unity that many of the participants recognize.
There are many women that have always hunted. True they are part of a demographic for growth in our sport. Many men have always treated them proper and made them feel welcome. I know I always have and still do. Naturally a woman distinguished an issue-lol. Some overlook that even men get treated the same as them in similar situations. Most men and women in that situation will figure where they are welcome and where they are not and still accomplish what they set out to do. Some women (NOT ALL), claim good ole boy gender attitudes. I guess we are supposed to spoon feed some people and weaken ourselves to accommodate their minds.This is the first time I’ve seen a rant of such on the internet. Similar situations are occurring in the military and work place. Some things never change- lol. Women are from Venus Men are from Mars.

Last edited:

Hi again ElkNut: In a wild stroke of luck I found a Weatherby Camilla 7mm-08 that I thought wasn't available anywhere, including from the Weatherby factory here in Wyoming. Called them and found there were 800+ folks on the waiting list. So I hope I make someone here happy when I shoot it (if I can find ammo!) and find it's the superior caliber! There ya go!

I have some experience with female hunters. My wife hunts and is my favorite hunting partner. She is 5'2" and wears some equestrian gear, hiking/mountain gear, and a bit of "hunting" gear that fits for her hunting needs. We have many female friends that hunt. I have mentored many woman and younger girls in the field. I have been an instructor for Becoming an Outdoor Woman. During the course of my career I interacted with many woman hunting and fishing. My patrol area bordered Quebec. The French-Canadian culture leans heavily to woman in the outdoors. Many times I would encounter groups of woman or woman alone ice fishing and open water fishing. My wife has an absolute meltdown if she see's the TV hunting ladies posed with their hair and makeup looking like they are headed out on a date !! I find that older hunters have a more difficult time accepting woman hunters than younger guys. I have noted that woman attending sportsman clubs or outdoor shows are certainly treated differently by industry males. Yes the "pretty" ladies snag all the attention. The "average" looking lady has to work hard to get answers to questions or make their opinions known.
Well said. Ima younger dude (29).. and there’s this chick at the bow shop down the road that would make me look foolish if I tried to run a friendly comp… often more level headed and patient than men also. My wife shot her first buck last year; Im proud to have her hunt with me ANYTIME

Reviving a 6 month old thread, but, as a woman who grew up hunting (and fishing) and has a lot of experience outdoors in the Pacific Northwest, Mountain West, and Midwest, a great deal of it solo, I have a few (potentially random) comments.

The majority of people, regardless of gender or geography, are kind and helpful, or at least trying to be based on their own ideas of what kind and helpful looks like. Their behavior may not be perceived this way, and that's valid, however, I would say intentional @$$holes are the exception rather than the rule, IME (and if they are being jerks to women, they are likely universally jerks). I try to hold this in mind. And try to be kind.

This is a tough one, but important. I would say that I have encountered more inherent, entrenched sexism (from both men and women) in the Midwest than in Colorado, Oregon, Washington and Alaska (all states I spend a lot of time in). A lot more. I would also say there are pronounced cultural differences around gender expectations related to hunting (and across the board), in different parts of the US. Awareness of this is important.

As a woman, it is entirely different hunting without a man along with you. Expect it to be a different experience without a "chaperone." You will probably shock some folks; enjoy the notoriety. And learn, learn, learn. You will be teaching someone else some day.

A comment on hunters being asked in the field by other hunters if they are alone. Yes, this is a completely normal question for hunters to ask one another. But please be aware that women are trained to view men as potential threats, and a man asking a woman he encounters in the woods/fields/backcountry if she is alone will raise a lot of red flags; you can easily come across as a predatory creep. Men, please be aware of this. (Advice from local law enforcement is to lie and say your husband/brother/father is nearby if asked this question in this scenario). Men, my suggestion is to present info on your own hunting party before you ask, because 1) it provides context and 2) it's a show of good faith.

I have not had really had many negative experiences at gun shops (or mechanics, or hardware stores) that I can say were because I am a woman. Salespeople have certainly tried to get me to purchase something that I wasn't interested in, like the guy at the firearms counter at the farm store who tried to sell me an AR for fox issues last week, but I doubt this was a gender issue. He just wanted to make a sale. And for the record, it wasn't a pink AR.

Men ignoring women who are with a man and just talking to the man. Yes, this happens a lot. All the time, actually. I tend to think that it is because men are taught not to pay attention to "another man's women;" it is absurd in our "mainstream" 21st century US culture, but, a very real phenomenon. Honestly, my strategy is to do my research, go to the gun counter with knowledge and without a man (he can browse nearby if I am accompanied); I find most sales people are willing to talk to me. If i encounter a legitimate jerk, I just take my business elsewhere. I have learned so much taking this approach.

Also, "dress for success" means something different at the sporting goods store (and hardware store). Dress like you know what you are doing in the field, combine that with knowledge, and you will probably be treated well. (This applies regardless of gender).

If you don't know how to be supportive of someone learning to shoot, hunt etc, I would encourage you to ask. And listen to feedback (Again, this applies regardless of gender). Supportive looks different for each of us, and we have different learning styles. The teachers may very well learn a lot, too.

Had a great T-day with a couple,HTers. Youngsters in their 40's,or she is. She also took up hunting late in life and not what you would expect from the look of her to be a hunter. Helps she is a teacher and outdoorsey. She has filled several tags now.Elk & deer. The best part of the conversations was her take,to me.
Toss around a few observations and the 3 of us came to new info that we overlook often or did not think about before.

Great thread. I have a daughter I am bringing up to be a hunter so it is interesting to read about other women's thoughts and experiences. So far, my daughter isn't too excited about the details of the blocking and tackling of hunting (lots of things going on when you are a senior in high school!). But she loves being out there. I am trying to bring her along at her own pace.

I find it interesting that people would ask if someone is alone. That is certainly not a question I would ever ask anyone. I might deduce it from our conversation, but would think it would be pretty rude, especially to a woman, to come right out and ask it. i have to say, if I was out alone and some guys asked me that, it would send red flags up as well.

Really enjoying everyone's thoughts here on an interesting subject. After decades wandering around in the mountains alone, this is the first year I did it with a rifle and an elk tag. I think everyone I ran into was kind and helpful because we were all having so much fun!!! It is a such a pleasure to exchange knowledge and joke around in the field. I ran into a man on a mule packing out his tidy package of elk, who offered to pack out my elk if I shot one. I mean, how nice is that?

The other observations about women's negative experiences in sporting goods stores and many other places are certainly real, (yes, AKByrde, especially in Wyo. & it drives me crazy) but all that stuff goes away when it's just you and the hunt. I have to say, I feel safer in the mountains than in many towns, even if some guy followed me up a mountain once.

So thanks for the conversation, and hats off to the guys who listen, who don't talk down to us beginner women, and offer a hand up.

The comments here are super supportive, but that's not to say there are a lot of men in the hunting community aren't as, ummm 'welcoming' - for lack of better words. That being said, I work with IDNR on various projects through my work and I am seeing them prioritize (more and more) outreach aimed at getting people into hunting by extending beyond the white male base that has sustained it for so long.

I guess this question is aimed at everyone, do you think the overall hunting community will eventually learn to welcome others into the community with more open arms or do you think these initiatives will be met with backlash from a lot of hunters?....mostly speaking of hunters not in these forums, bc I've seen some really troubling groups and for the most part this one is great.

Also, have you guys gone out of your way to help underrepresented people get in to the activity and if so, how? Why or why not?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back