Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

First Bull!

Frenchy

Been a long time coming, but I finally got it done on Saturday Morning. Was damn tempted to take Fattrack up on his offer to take an elkless hutner out, but I'd been doing my homework all summer and had a plan in place. Thursday night my main hunting partner bailed on me, scared of the hike in and more the potential pack out. Luckily, I had a backup that came through and boy he turned out to be a true work horse. Couldn't do this type of hunt without a good partner.

We packed in on Friday night, listened for bugles but nothing was talking. Was about 10 minutes late getting into my honey hole in the morning, but still managed to spot a single elk at the top of the meadow. Had just enough time to put the glass on it as it hit the timber. We couldn't see the head, but judging by the size we could tell it was most likely a bull. Quickly made a plan, and started working the edge of the meadow to see if we could get in front of him.

20 miutes later, with nothing in sight, nothing making any noise, we decided to try and find a spot to cow call in the timber. Knowing this thing was probably still in ear shot. As we crept through the timber, I kept seeing a better spot to set up just 20 yards further in. After about the 3rd time pushing forward, I stopped dead in my tracks....there was the bull milling around just in front of us, and close! Quick range put him at 41 yards, facing away, and with good cover between us. As I knocked an arrow, he turned and moved towards us some. When he turned broadside I drew and waited for him to step out from behind a tree. At the first step, I let one fly.

That bull took off like a freight train! as he ran past, you could see a spot of blood about the size of your hand starting down his side. But immediately you could see it was a bit high. I knew he was likely dead within minutes, but also knew the blood trail might be sparse. My partner and I quickly stopped the celebration and began memorizing everything we had just seen. When we recreated the shot, it turned out to be a 29 yard shot not the 40 yarder I had thought. After an hour of tracking, mostly by fresh tracks rather than blood, we spotted the bull. My first! And we could finally celebrate properly. Took us till 10:00 that night to get him all out, but it was worth all the effort.

Attachments

• Bull1.jpg
    Bull1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Bull2.jpg
    Bull2.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 1,549
Last edited:
Nice job. Thursday night is a little late to be bailing on someone. Glad it worked out anyway.

Congrats on the Bull. I've gotta agree with Oak, anyone that bails on a Thursday night better have one Hell of a good reason.

Congrats! Great bull!
Way to get it done.
Hopefully I have a story and pics for y'all in a couple weeks! (minus the bailout)
I'd be tickled to death with one that size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back