First Archery Elk!

The worst type of pack to try and pack meat out! Granted I did manage to stuff both front shoulders and a rear qtr into the bag. Shoulders were screaming at me! Plus I think my blisters got blisters! Guess what though! Totally worth it!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1,139
Congrats on the kill

Success in that area does not come easy or often, good job and enjoy the backstraps

Thanks for the story and congratulations! Going hunting somewhere you've never seen the intended target is pretty crazy!! I'm glad you made it happen.

I like the part of..."I left the house 3 days prior as a bow owner, I returned as a bow hunter!";) Welcome to the bowhunting world and obsession! I promise you that this will not be your last bow hunting elk trip!
Also, congratulations on a trophy bull, no matter the size! I will take a spike any day with a bow as my first over a monster during a guided hunt, no disrespect to guides or the hunting, but there's nothing like doing it yourself successfully! That's what it's all about!

Well now you've gone and done it! The obsession has been fed, and the addiction worsens. Congratulations on a grand adventure, well recounted.

Awesome story and follow up pics....really like your 'home return' sentences. Well done on the hunt and the share.

Congrats and great write up!

Hopefully i can join your club about a week from now! Can't wait.

Great job and great story. I'm glad I read it. Definitely can feel your frustration and accomplishment.

Thank you everyone. It really it a huge success for me. I look back and now think, man should I have waited a bit and seen if his older brother was barking at him? Would a cow call have brought him in? Should I have waited for a more broadside shot? Would the swirling mountain wind have given me away? Haha all the things that go through my head now. No matter what I feel as if I am truly blessed to even have gotten something in my first archery season!

Thank you everyone. It really it a huge success for me. I look back and now think, man should I have waited a bit and seen if his older brother was barking at him? Would a cow call have brought him in? Should I have waited for a more broadside shot? Would the swirling mountain wind have given me away? Haha all the things that go through my head now. No matter what I feel as if I am truly blessed to even have gotten something in my first archery season!

Didn't you mention that you've never seen elk there before? I've held off and wish I hadn't, and shot only to wonder what if. Out of the two possible regretes, I'd rather have a freezer full than an empty one from waiting, and no doubt you're happy with him. I wouldn't give it another thought, besides, it doesn't matter now.

My apologies for putting my story in your thread but a few years ago a spike hopped up in front of us bowhuntimg. We laughed and teased it for about 20 seconds. It trotted away and stood at about 100 yards and it hits me...that is fair game and I hadn't shot an elk in 2 years. Why on earth didn't I shoot it? Two years of tag soup later I'm shooting the first adult freezer filler elk that comes by. Congrats to you again.

Congrats! Being a newb elk hunter myself (second year this year) I hope I get to feel that same elation for myself this year. Congrats again!

Back