Caribou Gear Tarp

Few elk shots

mtmiller

Not great pics, but a few fellas I saw while working today.

Attachments

• DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 716
  • DSC_0108.jpg
    DSC_0108.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 717
Where the heck do you work. My office view consist of 10' max in any direction!:confused:

Seriously, what do you do for a living?

:eek:Don't worry, my cubicle is very small. Luckily I get out in the field often....gov't leech with the BLM. I was mapping fences today.

Couple other quick shots today.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0075-1.jpg

I was working in the same allotment today, but no bone. I hope to spend some more time there next week, but unless he shed along a fence, I probably will be out of luck. Shed anlters are boring anyway...unless I draw this fall.;)

Cool shots. Can I post one in your thread so I don't have to start my own?

Calf1.jpg

Calf2.jpg

Those are Great Pics;)!!!

Both bulls and youngin...

I had no idea bulls would have put on that much growth in this short a time:eek:??

The ones I saw a few weeks ago were barely above the ears...(3 bulls together, looked to be older ones..)

Just how many inches of horn do elk grow per-day (anyone know):confused:??

Moe

Way cool Miller (& Oak).
Those bulls are sporting some decent bone for early June. Are you having a nice green summer ?
Out here on the left coast, the rain finally stopped and it's getting hot, predicted 100% for Monday, but there is still snow up high and the critters are fat and happy.

Great pics! Makes me jealous, it was oer 100 degrees in the desert down here today.

Mapping fences??? You guys putting deflectors on them.

That is some great looking country, thanks for sharing pics.

How hard can it be to map a fence? Wasn't it in the same place that it was last year?

btw, did you see where the good guys prevailed over the BLM and were able to keep a bunch of fences out of Wyoming?

A Victory for Sage-Grouse and Open Space
Date: 05/19/2010
In a landmark decision, Administrative Law Judge Harvey C. Sweitzer has granted Advocates' motion to stop the construction of new fences on Wyoming's Green Mountain Common allotment. As one of the largest unfenced areas in the lower 48 states, the Green Mountain Common provides unique open space and crucial habitat for wildlife, including the imperiled greater sage-grouse.

ALJ Sweitzer agreed with Advocates that BLM likely violated the National Environmental Policy Act by approving the fences without addressing their negative impacts. He emphasized that a stay is appropriate because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has determined that the greater sage-grouse "warrants" protection under the Endangered Species Act.

ALJ Sweitzer's decision is significant because it is the first time that a judicial body has enjoined BLM from undertaking an activity harmful to sage-grouse on the basis of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's March 2010 "warranted" determination.

Nice pictures of the elk...

Never said it was hard.

Interesting decision. Considering the research that was done in WY about fence collisions and mitigation measures, it'll be interesting to see the outcome of the hearing.

Last edited:
Can't a bird fly over a fence?

Nooo! ;) Some research has shown a relatively high mortality rate due to fence collisions by sage grouse. The project I'm most familiar with showed that it happens mostly whenn escaping predators and more common near a lek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back