Bullets for muzzleloaders

optima v2 with bh209 powder
Look up firing pin O ring on the google machine.

On those rifles the firing pin bushing screws in and out. That can be adjusted with a shim or o-ring. That an have a direct impact on your accuracy. If your getting blow back of any type from the 209 there is room for adjustment. You can dial in your groups just from that adjustment.

I'm a huge fan of the Barnes TMZ it did great on my NM bull this year 250 grain. I'd possibly look at the heavier version I didn't have them available.

I’ve had great accuracy with 300 grain thors and 77 grains of Blackhorn 209 by weight out of my CVA MR-X. I’ve only hunted whitetails with this but it performed great on the two I’ve shot. One was a pass through and the other I recovered the bullet out of the back hip on a frontal shot.

Attachments

• IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
This past season I had a muzzleloader elk hunt in Arizona and I used Barnes .50 cal 290 grain bullets on the Bull elk I shot. It was only a 70 yard shot but he dropped 5 yards from where I hit him. Ended up being a heart shot. I did not get a full pass thru but the bullet tore him up inside. I was getting good groups out to 200 yards with that bullet
Do you have a photo of the recovered bullet?

My 2 cents worth look at parker productions if you have to shoot bore size(Colorado etc.).
I don’t think you have to shoot bore size in New Mexico(I think you can use a sabot)… you can probably extend your effective range with a slightly lighter bullet/sabot combo…
parker has some good sabot options as well.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back