Only in the south!

You learn to live with gators and snakes. Stay out of their way and they will stay out of yours. You develop a habit of looking down where you step. I notice even if I am hunting up north in below freezing temps I’m still looking down.

Now red wasps in an Alabama shooting house….. you don't ever get used to that.
I would rather be in there with a griz than a wasp. I mostly hunt out of a climber stand these days but when I hunted in those boxes I hated wasps.

And that's why my ass will stay in the north!
I think that I understand staying up north, everything down here will bite you or it seems. I see gators almost every fishing trip. One thing that I see that you probably haven’t thought about is, I will see a half dozen road kill alligators this year.

I think that I understand staying up north, everything down here will bite you or it seems. I see gators almost every fishing trip. One thing that I see that you probably haven’t thought about is, I will see a half dozen road kill alligators this year.
Ya that's not for me! Also really doesn't help that I grew up in a place that didn't have reptiles nor spiders minus daddy long legs... Almost certain I'd freeze up if I saw a cotton mouth in the wild

Damn things get on the road at night to get the heat from the assault....

Ya that's not for me! Also really doesn't help that I grew up in a place that didn't have reptiles nor spiders minus daddy long legs... Almost certain I'd freeze up if I saw a cotton mouth in the wild
I will kill at least two cottonmouths in my yard and garden this summer and probably a copperhead or two. I am not scared of any of them as long as I can see them.

My hunting buddy and I were on our way one evening to our lease south of Lake O.
We were on a dark road cutting across from Fort Myers. We had a atv in the bed of the truck and pulling a small 10 ft atv trailer with water and another atv on it. All of a sudden a gator maybe 5-6 feet long came out on the road.

I figured we were in for a heck of a crash. But somehow i guess we were just high enough and maybe the gator got longways in the road and other than one clunk we cruised right over it.

The road was two lanes and deep water filled ditches on each side so it was a few miles before we could find a place to turn around. We never did find sign of that gator.
Maybe both us and the gator got lucky. First and only encounter with a gator on the road I have had. I been living here since 1986.

Last edited:
Its pretty common down here. I killed a cotton mouth during duck season once in January. Cut him up and put a chunk on a set line. Caught a 25lb blue cat.

6 weeks ago we were fishing down in Florida for the weekend and saw a bunch of gators. Including a 10' on the side of the road we were staying on. We had a few come and hang out while we were cleaning our bass.

Some people complain about some of the critters running around, but I've been wearing shorts all week and the peach trees are blooming, so I don't really feel like there's much to complain about.

I am not in the “south” but I did find a snake in my ground blind one morning. Not fun when you come in the dark and only figure it out because something is moving in there…

I thought this thread was going to be about someone getting married to his cousin. But gaters and snakes are cool too.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back