Caribou Gear

Federal Land for the Homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, by treating the symptom and not the problem. Mentally ill people need care and treatment, not homes in a cardboard box with free meals and a syringe. A band aid fix is never a good idea, unless other programs are put into place as an end result. Also, by letting them out of jail or a care facility due to over crowding with no place to go or follow up treatment. Basically by saying, "It's okay to be you and feel that way".

The problem of a band aid is it will multiply because others will want it too, and migrate to that area, this more problems. It won't go away on it's own.
So you're saying to there are no people out there that are not addicted to drugs but are mentally ill and that there are also no people out there that are at a level where they can function (wash, eat, buy groceries) but cannot hold a job?

My brother is mentally ill, institutionalized, He is a danger to himself and society. Anyone who fits that category should be housed and cared for by society aka the taxpayer.

Taxpayer funded housing where addicts can go and shoot up heroin without being arrested? seems like it would just create more addicts. Seems like a disservice to the addict.

Sorry to hear that, I am glad he is getting the care he needs.

My brother is mentally ill, institutionalized, He is a danger to himself and society. Anyone who fits that category should be housed and cared for by society aka the taxpayer.

Taxpayer funded housing where addicts can go and shoot up heroin without being arrested? seems like it would just create more addicts. Seems like a disservice to the addict.
I don't disagree with those, but there is a helluva lot of grey between those.

Why do homeless flock to certain cities? Word travels fast thats why and if it's better to be homeless in san fran then go to san fran. Making it easier to be homeless like some cities have done by acting on emotions instead of brains is not the solution it definitely enables and makes things worse tho we have proven that! But I would also argue that's what democrats want as they can try and use the issue against Trump and blame him for the homelessness issues this election year.

I seriously dont give a crap about the homelessness unless you are severely disabled or mentally ill. Otherwise your just a drain on society and a bum. I realize not everyone agrees with this and that's ok. I personally dont like pissing up ropes.

So as far as politics go I dont really care how its handled one way or another as it is way down the list of reasons that influence my vote.

Clear case of "ur" failure to comprehend.

Hooked on phonics might help.

Buzz, you are a smart guy and don't need insults to make your case. You know what you want to disseminate, don't cheapen it with insults.

Do some research on bothsides of the subject with an open mind. You will see more than you ever realized.

Clear case of "ur" failure to comprehend.

Hooked on phonics might help.
Clear case of how you approach every forum post like this. Loads of arrogant tough guy insults with zero ideas sprinkled in. Bravo 👏

I don't disagree with those, but there is a helluva lot of grey between those.

There is, but how then is it possible that in a state with the most woke people of our society and the highest burden on the taxpayer to solve the issues of humanity it would seem there is no solution for the folks in the grey?

Why do homeless flock to certain cities? Word travels fast thats why and if it's better to be homeless in san fran then go to san fran. Making it easier to be homeless like some cities have done by acting on emotions instead of brains is not the solution it definitely enables and makes things worse tho we have proven that! But I would also argue that's what democrats want as they can try and use the issue against Trump and blame him for the homelessness issues this election year.

I seriously dont give a crap about the homelessness unless you are severely disabled or mentally ill. Otherwise your just a drain on society and a bum. I realize not everyone agrees with this and that's ok. I personally dont like pissing up ropes.

So as far as politics go I dont really care how its handled one way or another as it is way down the list of reasons that influence my vote.

Right here is why things never change, its black/white, no gray and tribalism defined with a complete lack of understanding or compassion for anyone else.

Its just bums draining society...

Loads of arrogant tough guy insults with zero ideas sprinkled in. Bravo 👏
Good enough for the CIC though, right? Good enough to garner your vote for him this November, no question of that.

So, with that said, save your faux outrage...

Last edited:
Right here is why things never change, its black/white, no gray and tribalism defined with a complete lack of understanding or compassion for anyone else.

Seems to me... If we all got on the same sheet of music that you are supporting. And we open up all public lands, local or otherwise, and put safe houses on every street corner, and safe syringes on ever street, what would happen? Look at the areas this thinking has been implemented. Is that what we really want our country to become? If I was a communist, head of a dictator society like say Russia, that's exactly what I would want for the United States. The country to implode on it's own. In fact, I'd put people in subversive rolls to propagate this and train the children to believe in it.

I'm not sure that will be the best, but if the root problem is not fixed, I think that is what is on the horizon. That's not "Dums Draining Society".

Sorry to hear and your brother is lucky that, more than likely, you or some other family member recognized the problem and dealt with it accordingly. Many aren't that fortunate for all kinds of reasons.

There are varying degrees of mental illness and often times, even those closest to the victims don't recognize mental illness.

Not much keeps me up at night, but I'm haunted by a marker of a kid I went to high school with that I pass on a regular basis in one of my favorite hunting spots. Mind you, this guy isn't a close friend at all, we didn't hang out, but took welding classes together. I saw him and his Dad, dragging a cow elk down a hill and stopped to help them. I stopped and helped and we chatted about how long we'd been out of school and caught up. I hadn't seen him for years. A couple weeks later, he pressed a .357 against his head and pulled the trigger.

The guy needed help and I didn't even recognize that, and neither did his family. So, when people try to tell me that homelessness is a choice? I don't buy it...if we cant even help family and friends, and recognize someone is suffering so badly that they end their life...how in TF do we jump to the conclusion that homelessness is a choice? Seems to me, a person suffering from mental illness would find themselves homeless way before they find themselves on the business end of a .357.

Point being that we need to do a lot more with regard to mental health and if we deal with that FIRST, we will take care of a big, big part of the homeless problem.

So, I wont apologize for being tough on people, the CIC or otherwise, dumbing down the complexities of mental health and homelessness as a "choice"...its irresponsible and ignorant to do that.

Last edited:

Correct!!!! 1 million times over! If you are not disable or mentally ill I do not care. Get you crap together and do something with your life.
But I do have compassion Buzz for people who want to help themselves. My church has successfully got 2 addicts off the streets in the last 4 years and they are still working and clean. These people came in the doors asking for help and we helped them but not if they werent gonna help themselves. We asked them to attend prayer group every monday, bible study every wednesday, and church every sunday and we would get them there no matter what even if I had to go pick them up so they had zero excuses. If they could do this we would help them. We paid them a wage to do janitorial and odd jobs at the church until we helped them find real jobs.
See just because I'm a conservative trump voting asshole doesnt mean I'm not willing to help a person out or dont have compassion.
But like I said I'm not into pissing up ropes and that's all the politics of this issue do.

Now I realize this was a big group effort by our small congregation of about 45 people, but I'm part of that 45 people @BuzzH

So now I ask you again what are you doing to help? What are your solutions? Are you volunteering at AA or NA meeting this week? Are you at the local food bank volunteering this week? Are you ministering to young men in jail this week so they have a chance when they get out? Are you going to the local libraries this week trying to give a hand up to the 6 homeless people sitting in there? I've done all these things in the past some because they were court ordered and others cause I felt compelled to and will do them more in the future buzz.

Buzz if u just took the time u take insulting people on HT and donated it instead think of what you could do!! Or maybe you do donate and help out idk. The one thing I do know is that ur the king of insults and the jester of posing ideas or solutions on this forum anyways.

If you are not disable or mentally ill I do not care. Get you crap together and do something with your life. But I do have compassion Buzz for people who want to help themselves.

So now I ask you again what are you doing to help? What are your solutions? Are you volunteering at AA or NA meeting this week? Are you at the local food bank volunteering this week? Are you ministering to young men in jail this week so they have a chance when they get out? Are you going to the local libraries this week trying to give a hand up to the 6 homeless people sitting in there? I've done all these things in the past some because they were court ordered and others cause I felt compelled to and will do them more in the future buzz.

Buzz if u just took the time u take insulting people on HT and donated it instead think of what you could do!! Or maybe you do donate and help out idk. The one thing I do know is that ur the king of insults and the jester of posing ideas or solutions on this forum anyways.

Just curious how you know which homeless people are mentally ill and which ones aren't? How are mentally ill people supposed to go about "helping themselves"?

What am I doing to help? Voting for people who want to address and fund mental health and voting against people who don't. I also donate money to homeless causes, for what that is worth and its not worth much.

What I don't pretend, is because I beat a bible (or not), that I have the knowledge or ability to "save" or even help those with a mental illness, dealing with addiction, or homelessness. There are people that are trained professionals that are going to have WAYYYYYY more success addressing those issues than a church. They're going to have way more success than me volunteering at a soup kitchen or funding same. As such, I also vote for people that are willing to invest in professionals that we need to address and solve the problems of mental health, addiction, and homelessness. I'm not an expert or self righteous enough to think my visiting someone in a jail cell, or beating them with a bible, is going to change them. It wont, I'm a professional Forester/Ecologist not a clinical doctor, not an addiction expert, not a psychologist, and likely not smart enough to deal with the homeless problem.

I also don't vote for folks that seem to have a penchant for:
Loads of arrogant tough guy insults with zero ideas sprinkled in. Bravo 👏
which you seem to have no problem doing.

@BuzzH So since you dont "BEAT" a bible your kind words of encouragement are useless? I dont think that's the case. I think you just dont want to find the time to do something that could possibly change someone's life and that's ok. Just remember you dont have to be an expert on anything or a bible beater to change the course of someone's life. Ordinary folks do extraordinary things everyday for others and themselves.

I honestly do not know how you separate the mentally ill from the bums. I am ok with hearing ideas for figuring out that very issue. But putting sharps bins on every street corner and allowing them all to do whatever they want is not a good idea and not helping. That is clear as day.

As far as the last part of you comment. Trump didnt start the war on Trump, but he definitely is defending himself in that war and dominating that war. Just like anyone should do. That war was started with ignorant assholes mocking him the day he came down the escalator.

@BuzzH So since you dont "BEAT" a bible your kind words of encouragement are useless? I dont think that's the case. I think you just dont want to find the time to do something that could possibly change someone's life and that's ok. Just remember you dont have to be an expert on anything or a bible beater to change the course of someone's life. Ordinary folks do extraordinary things everyday for others and themselves.

I honestly do not know how you separate the mentally ill from the bums. I am ok with hearing ideas for figuring out that very issue. But putting sharps bins on every street corner and allowing them all to do whatever they want is not a good idea and not helping. That is clear as day.

As far as the last part of you comment. Trump didnt start the war on Trump, but he definitely is defending himself in that war and dominating that war. Just like anyone should do. That war was started with ignorant assholes mocking him the day he came down the escalator.

For the second time, I can identify and name scientifically, a couple/few hundred plants from memory, can also tell you how many board feet of volume in a tree, or how much basal area in a cutting unit. But, what I don't have the first clue about is how to recognize many signs of mental illness or how to help those that have it.

Yeah, better to let people throw sharps all over the place, so take those bins down. Taking those bins down is going to help address the problem of addiction...wow, just WOW! Its not about enabling addicts, its about protecting people that aren't addicted from stepping on or having to pick up dirty needles. Good grief.

We'll just have to disagree on Trump...IMO, he's his own worst enemy and the very definition of an a-hole.

enabling addicts
BUT it does enable them. For cripes sakes I'd say it empowers them. Basically saying hey it legal to shoot up wherever and whenever you want we wont incriminate you for it. Even tho it's most definitely a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back