Favorite REPLACEABLE blade knife

i have the aluminum handled havalon in every vehicle and pack i own

also a mini letherman type tool also ,gotta pick cactus and porcupine quills

have 2 of the gerbers somewere, junk, keep popping blades off while using

wouldnt give them to a friend,,,,,,

I use a Havalon, been through many animals with them. Don't wrench on them too hard though or you'll snap a blade and send it flying

Havalon scalpel in my kit. Must remember that it works with surgical blades, and used as such. It slices anything in its path, sadly last year including a lingering finger tip in the hide holding hand.

kansasson has the Gerber Exchange Blade System, which comes with three styles of blades. Most robust of an exchangeable blade system, as it is in the style of a real knife. Very sharp, and a slight touch up on a Rapala ceramic blade sharpener will keep if razor sharp as you work.

Outdoor Edge is my EDC and is used to work on animals during hunting season. I put that knife through the paces and it seems to work for me. I also have a Havalon in the pack as backup.

Have used a havalon a ton; I have a love/hate relationship with them. Little bit of use with an outdoor edge, I did like that it was a stouter setup and less prone to breaking. If I was buying now I’d probably go tyto because of how minimalist it is or outdoor edge for a little more strength.

Couple other things; replacement blades are ridiculously sharp and are amazing good for cutting the heck out of yourself and it seems like 90% of people that use them always litter the blade coverings at kill sites; I’m truly amazed at the number of them I have found over the years

In the field, I really like using this Outdoor Edge one. One blade per deer/lope and two blades per elk - one each side. What I like so much about them is the 3.5" length is just right, the blade locks in super easy and has full support along almost the whole length. Changes blades with bloody hands isn't the easiest but I just take my leatherman out and use the pliers to get a good grip on the blade for a safe removal. The handle fits nicely in the hand and at the end of an elk your hand isn't sore or tired.

1693488083333.png

At home for butchering, I have replaced almost all my expensive Forschner and Victorinox knifes with these Havalon Baracuta's. For every two hours of cutting, I change the blade. Its a 5" length. If I need a knife with a better backbone, I do have one Victorinox I kept.

1693488058336.png

As far as differences in the quality of the blades themselves, the replaceable scalpel blades for these knives are a universal item. They were originally used as autopsy blades. These knife manufacturers are all just slapping their own label on the same thing that’s been on the market for ages. I can almost guarantee that they’re all buying them from one of a few places that are already established scalpel makers.

Last edited:
As far as differences in the quality of the blades themselves, the replaceable scalpel blades for these knives are a universal item. They were originally used as autopsy blades. These knife manufacturers are all just slapping their own label on the same thing that’s been on the market for ages.
The quality of blade can be different between manufacturers. I've had two different size 60 (60A and 60X I think), and one definitely seems to be stouter than the other. Can't remember which one though off the top of my head. There seems to much more variation in the size 22 (pretty much just a shorter version of the 60), and I've had some fairly flimsy blades, but a box of 100 was super cheap compared to the size 60. The thing to remember with a scalpel is they are used for delicate incisions, and if used as such, they work fantastic.

The quality of blade can be different between manufacturers. I've had two different size 60 (60A and 60X I think), and one definitely seems to be stouter than the other. Can't remember which one though off the top of my head. There seems to much more variation in the size 22 (pretty much just a shorter version of the 60), and I've had some fairly flimsy blades, but a box of 100 was super cheap compared to the size 60. The thing to remember with a scalpel is they are used for delicate incisions, and if used as such, they work fantastic.
Wonder is there’s a medical examiner and pathologist’s forum out there somewhere where they’re having a long discussion about the quality of Cincinnati Surgical Supply vs MYCO Medical Supply blades. Ha!

Wonder is there’s a medical examiner and pathologist’s forum out there somewhere where they’re having a long discussion about the quality of Cincinnati Surgical Supply vs MYCO Medical Supply blades. Ha!
They certainly do have those discussions as when I play volleyball with my wife and her work team, all those doctors and physicians do is talk about work policy and supplies!

In the field, I really like using this Outdoor Edge one. One blade per deer/lope and two blades per elk - one each side. What I like so much about them is the 3.5" length is just right, the blade locks in super easy and has full support along almost the whole length. Changes blades with bloody hands isn't the easiest but I just take my leatherman out and use the pliers to get a good grip on the blade for a safe removal. The handle fits nicely in the hand and at the end of an elk your hand isn't sore or tired.

View attachment 290183
+1 It's cheap and it works.

I've used the havalon and outdoors edge knife extensively and personally far prefer the piranta the hunting partner I am with the most prefers the outdoor edge. But after putting our first elk down we both agreed neither was a great option for cutting up a whole elk. I now carry a Havalon hydra while elk hunting best of both worlds and still packs light.download.jpeg-22.jpg

I use a havalon, but then have to carry a multi-tool w pliers to change blades safely. (Or, I usually carry a small set of forceps bc they're lighter).

Wish there was a great, awesome replaceable blade knife out there, but from this thread sounds like they all have drawbacks...

Havalon here as well. Couldnt tell you how many animals its broken down but its in the dozens.

One of things I like about the Havalon Piranta (and probably other knives) is that you can buy a box of 100 blades on Amazon for pretty cheap. They even will work with size 22 blades, although they are bit shorter. I've still quartered multiple elk with size 22 blades.
Yes I get replacements for my Edge from Amazon too. My Edge is not folding which makes it lighter but you gotta pick a gutting blade or a regular blade-you don’t have 2 in one. I like the Edge. I use both 3” or is it 3-1/2” and also the 5” blades. The edge has more of a regular handle so it’s easy to handle but it’s just lightweight plastic.

I use a havalon, but then have to carry a multi-tool w pliers to change blades safely. (Or, I usually carry a small set of forceps bc they're lighter).

Wish there was a great, awesome replaceable blade knife out there, but from this thread sounds like they all have drawbacks...
1694431070081.png

I use the outdoor edge. I like the handle better and the blades seem a bit more sturdy. I always carry a fillet glove with me now when hunting. one wrong slip with any of those knives and youre in for a rough time. Told my dad the first time he was using it be careful its like a razor blade. three seconds later and we almost had to go to the er for stitches. Luckily got it to stop bleeding. The minimal weight and space that glove takes up is well worth it to me.

Only one I have is a Piranta. I was one of 3 skinners on an elk last week and used just one blade.

Key to that is:

Don't cut hair or dirt
Cut from inside out
Cut the fascia between the skin and the fat, and angle the blade so you don't cut right against the bone.
Avoid clogging the blade up with fat.
Use the whole blade edge and pull hide away and down. Don't swipe the blade but instead let it cut with a light but firm pressure.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back