Favorite REPLACEABLE blade knife

mxracer317

I was looking at getting a GOAT Capra Hunter Ti knife... lots of hype. But horrible customer service.

Website has been out of stock for months. No phone number and never an email response.

As such, looking at getting a strong, lightweight replaceable blade knife.

Any recommendations after using one?

Outdoor edge used to be the SHIT. I still use them religiously with my game and fish, but I’ve noticed the durability of the edge(s) has drastically degraded over the last half decade. They seem to dull after a few slices of leather now, before I’d do two deer or a FULL elk from hide, quarter, debone and rinse/reuse for processing.

Buyer beware. I still think they’re WAYYYYY better than the chinsy Gerber scalpel blades uncle Randy was endorsing

Outdoor edge used to be the SHIT. I still use them religiously with my game and fish, but I’ve noticed the durability of the edge(s) has drastically degraded over the last half decade. They seem to dull after a few slices of leather now, before I’d do two deer or a FULL elk from hide, quarter, debone and rinse/reuse for processing.

Buyer beware. I still think they’re WAYYYYY better than the chinsy Gerber scalpel blades uncle Randy was endorsing
I would agree. I think Gerber is very bottom of the barrel when it comes to knives

I bought the ebs and was not a fan either.

I have edge outdoors, the gerber vital and a havalon in my pack. Honestly I feel they are all about the same I tend to go for the edge outdoor one primarily cause it is a larger handle to be able to actually grip after your all bloodied up

Which model tyto do you use?
I have the finisher and 1.1 but the finisher lived in my bino pack. Just fits my hand perfectly. And maybe because it’s pink…

And yes most use the same blades. Some of the gerber knives use a slightly different blade I believe.5A32707A-483F-476C-AE98-0E1031A913ED.jpeg

My Havalon has served me well. My wife got one last year and they now come with a neat blade changing gizmo that works really well.

I have the finisher and 1.1 but the finisher lived in my bino pack. Just fits my hand perfectly. And maybe because it’s pink…

And yes most use the same blades. Some of the gerber knives use a slightly different blade I believe.View attachment 290163
That isn't much different than a basic scalpel handle, which I've actually contemplated getting one.

I use, and like, Havalon Piranta handles.

Another +1 for the Havalon Piranta.

I’ve got a Gerber folder, but the blades for that seem like cheap trash. The way the blade secures to the knife wastes a good inch and a half of usable blade edge so that’s irritating. I’m also running through 4 or 5 blades for an elk compared to 1 or 2 with the Havalon blades.

One of things I like about the Havalon Piranta (and probably other knives) is that you can buy a box of 100 blades on Amazon for pretty cheap. They even will work with size 22 blades, although they are bit shorter. I've still quartered multiple elk with size 22 blades.

I haven’t tried the tyto disposable but they do make a nice little fixed blade! I swore off replaceables after trying the vital and havalon, I’d rather sharpen than try to change blades in the field.

I wanted to throw out that Gerber, like Buck, has two different lines of knives. The Chinese made stuff, that includes their vital and Randy’s, is made to keep their prices low. Their USA knives are as well made as anything else, unfortunately people want cheap and the quality generally shows through! I’ve had a gerber gator since I was probably 10 and it’s indestructible

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back