Favorite REPLACEABLE blade knife

Gerber Vital for me. 2-3 blades to break down an Elk.

The blade release mechanism on the Gerber Vital is far superior and much safer (both IMO) than the Havalon Piranta or Tyto etc. People mentioning using pliers or the Piranta blade remover tool (which does help and work) are mentioning that because it's an inferior design (IMO) that often necessitates this. One more thing to bring/forget/lose. Baffles me that these get so much love over the Gerber Vital.

Outdoor Edge is also great option, you can sharpen those blades quite a bit which negates the higher cost of those blades.

I also did not like any of the newer Gerber's that Randy did with Gerber for field use. I've used them at home processing meat quite a bit and like them for that a lot though.

I like those bigger havalon baracuta knives. They have some good blade options that are a little beefier.

Temporarily lost my baracuta last year and used my old outdoor edge on a bull. Couldn't get the damn blades to lock in on it they kept wanting to pull off. Maybe user error on keeping things clear/clean but not an issue ive ever experienced with havalon.

Gerber Vital fan here. I like that it's a folder and has an easy push button for changing out the blades. Have a couple from re-upping my RMEF membership.

I use the vital big game. Liked it enough to give some out as Xmas gifts. Not sure why it seems to be less popular? But it works great for my use. I do carry a couple other knives with me which I should get out and sharpen.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back