Caribou Gear

Problems with Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's

Cabelas comes thru again.

69DFC3F7-33FD-4208-A219-D1124CCA8A5E.jpeg

I don’t really care if it’s sportsman’s or a mini Cabelas that’s in town as long as they have inventory. Although it’s a bit creepy knowing sportsman’s has full time employees watching your every move from their surveillance room.

I want to break those stupid cork pop guns over the parent's head when they let their kids run around popping them as fast as they can!
Man, I thought I was the only one that had that thought, however, I was kinda thinking of putting the popguns in another body part of the parents!

ClearCreek

I hate to say it because I absolutely loved Cabela's as a kid/young man but I've given up on Cabela's and BPS and shop via the internet these days. Cabela's and BPS are just not reliable, in person or via their websites. It's a real shame. Also, if you're military, first responders, government employees, Brand Employees, Conservation/NGO Employees and Outdoor Educators there is no reason to be paying MSRP. I swear by Guidefitter. 40% off the MSRP on Vortex Optics. I bought a new scope a week before Christmas and they had that thing delivered in 2 days. I was seriously impressed.

Use my referral code: nc5Vm6gB

I don’t really care about the “shopping experience”. I honestly could care less about taxidermy. If Scheels stays profitable by carrying soccer and softball gear instead of selling shitty popcorn and hunting games, so be it. They’ve always had a great selection and fair prices when I went in, and in most cases the sales person knew what they were talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t really care about the “shopping experience”. I honestly could care less about taxidermy. If Scheels stays profitable by carrying soccer and softball gear instead of selling shitty popcorn and hunting games, so be it. They’ve always had a great selection and fair prices when I went in, and in most cases the sales person knew what they were talking about.
I guess I just don't see how a Ruger, Winchester, Remington or a sig pistol bought in a Scheels is any different than what you can get at Cabelas. There is nothing but retail in any one of the stores, Scheels included. MSRP is MSRP no matter where you get it.

I guess I just don't see how a Ruger, Winchester, Remington or a sig pistol bought in a Scheels is any different than what you can get at Cabelas. There is nothing but retail in any one of the stores, Scheels included. MSRP is MSRP no matter where you get it.
I never said there was any difference. I said I dont care about the ambiance.

I hate to say it because I absolutely loved Cabela's as a kid/young man but I've given up on Cabela's and BPS and shop via the internet these days. Cabela's and BPS are just not reliable, in person or via their websites. It's a real shame. Also, if you're military, first responders, government employees, Brand Employees, Conservation/NGO Employees and Outdoor Educators there is no reason to be paying MSRP. I swear by Guidefitter. 40% off the MSRP on Vortex Optics. I bought a new scope a week before Christmas and they had that thing delivered in 2 days. I was seriously impressed.

Use my referral code: nc5Vm6gB
I agree 100%. When my family stopped at the Sidney, Nebraska Cabela's when I was 10 years old, I was in outdoor heaven. Fast forward to today and I see the same web design as Bass Pro (which looks like a junior high kid developed it) and same low-quality garbage for which Bass Pro is known. Truly is sad.

I was a Cabelas customer for 30 years and cancelled the credit card and stop shopping about a year after they switched the credit card from Cabelas bank to a Capital One Mastercard. I had bought a new house and wanted to buy deck furniture and various stuff for the house. I have a top credit rating and only use the card for the Cabelas discount. Call them up to get the limit raised by a significant amount. Sorry, the "model" will only allow a $500 increase. Can I talk with your manager? Sorry, we only allow credit increases via you supplying info to the computer. Totally pissed me off. That would have never happened with Cabelas bank. Didn't do anything about it until 9 mos. later when I saw Old Johnny Morris sent a plane of relief help over to the Bahamas for hurricane relief at the same time he layed off 2000+ employees just before Christmas at the Cabelas headquarters in Nebraska. He gives help to the corrupt Bahamas that charge our boats $6-7 a gallon for gas and overcharges visiting boaters for everything under the sun. All Cabelas now sells is the cheap chinese shit that BassPro sells. You used to go to Cableas when your life depended on it. Are you going to bet your life on the chinese sweat shops? Screw Johnny Morris. Buy American where you can, even if it means paying more. Ive told guys on here, you may have bought a tent 10 years ago that has served you well, BUT that tent ain't the same tent today. It is made by the Chinese. You want to put another American out of work and on the unemployment line? Think about how those Cabelas employees that lost their jobs just before Christmas felt!! When I closed my Cabelas credit card, the woman that took the instructions was a former Cabelas employee. She quietly cheered me on. Food For Thought.

I was a Cabelas customer for 30 years and cancelled the credit card and stop shopping about a year after they switched the credit card from Cabelas bank to a Capital One Mastercard. I had bought a new house and wanted to buy deck furniture and various stuff for the house. I have a top credit rating and only use the card for the Cabelas discount. Call them up to get the limit raised by a significant amount. Sorry, the "model" will only allow a $500 increase. Can I talk with your manager? Sorry, we only allow credit increases via you supplying info to the computer. Totally pissed me off. That would have never happened with Cabelas bank. Didn't do anything about it until 9 mos. later when I saw Old Johnny Morris sent a plane of relief help over to the Bahamas for hurricane relief at the same time he layed off 2000+ employees just before Christmas at the Cabelas headquarters in Nebraska. He gives help to the corrupt Bahamas that charge our boats $6-7 a gallon for gas and overcharges visiting boaters for everything under the sun. All Cabelas now sells is the cheap chinese shit that BassPro sells. You used to go to Cableas when your life depended on it. Are you going to bet your life on the chinese sweat shops? Screw Johnny Morris. Buy American where you can, even if it means paying more. Ive told guys on here, you may have bought a tent 10 years ago that has served you well, BUT that tent ain't the same tent today. It is made by the Chinese. You want to put another American out of work and on the unemployment line? Think about how those Cabelas employees that lost their jobs just before Christmas felt!! When I closed my Cabelas credit card, the woman that took the instructions was a former Cabelas employee. She quietly cheered me on. Food For Thought.
Could not agree more. There are so many good online and brick and mortar retailers today that sell high quality American made goods. Don’t buy anything from those crooks at Cabela’s and BPS.

Ive told guys on here, you may have bought a tent 10 years ago that has served you well, BUT that tent ain't the same tent today.
you hit it direct on. I have purchased the exact same item ten years apart and its crazy how the quality of work is different. You can 100% tell that the same/company didn't make the product.

BPS is the Walmart of outdoor gear and took Cabela’s right down the tube with it. Cableway used to be 90% hunting/fishing/outdoor gear. Now it’s about 50% generic Chinese signs for hillbillies like “If it’s brown it’s down” weird candles and food items like “uncle bubba’s flaming butthole hot sauce & pork rind dip”. 20% good products you may need, and 30% cheap redhead knock off stuff.

I’m not saying all of their store brand stuff is no good. I have several items from there that are good.

What drove me away is them having very few knowledge people in any department to answer questions. If you do find someone alls they do is hassle you to sign up for the credit card. When I go there now I just tape mine to my forehead so I’m not hassled trying to buy licorice l, fudge, candles, or other essentials for hunting.

Lately it’s been the fact that the ammo section is virtually non existent at the local BPS.
I don't know if they do this all of the country, but I cannot stand that they organize ammo by brand rather than caliber.

Its enough to make me want to destroy the shelf...

And what I mean by brand is instead of having a shelf for 308 which has all the brands (like what everyone who is sane does) they have one shelf for Remington all calibers.

So if you want 308 you have to check 6 different spots in the ammo section.

Really grinds my gears...

Has anyone else recently experienced problems when ordering items from Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's? In the past month, I have made 2 orders on Cabela's and one order on Bass Pro Shops and every time, I have had part of my order canceled. Twice they have canceled an order for ammunition, once for a pair of shoes and once for a trail camera. Each time, the website reflects that the item is in stock and available to ship and about 12-24hr later, I receive an email saying my order is canceled. They don't delay the order in an effort to restock the item or source it form a 3rd party vendor, they just cancel on you. If you contact customer service via phone they just say, "sorry, we ran out." If you email, you get no response.

I'm done with them at this point. The internet gives me too many options of vendors who can perform basic retail functions like accurately reflecting inventory available for purchase. This may sound stupid but it kind of breaks my heart. As a kid, I use to get so excited for the Cabela's catalog to come and now I feel like the store is just trash. I feel like both stores have declined significantly since merging. I have a local Cabela's store in Gainesville, VA, and the customer service there is terrible. I spoke to a salesman once about a rifle and he was nothing short of a total jerk who acted like he was too busy to answer my questions about a rifle. Anybody else experiencing similar issues?
The supply chain is still a mess. I suspect a lot of Chinese suppliers are trying to adjust to increases in shipping due to skyrocketing fuel prices. One way is to consolidate shipments so the freighters are packed full of containers that are packed full. So it's wait and fill. Makes sense. In the meantime major American retailers are scrambling to reshuffle existing inventory and that's a guessing game. Add to that customer hoarding, especially ammo and loading components, and you've got a chain reaction meltdown of supply uncertainty.

I ordered 100 plain jane 30-06 Hornady bullets from from Cabelas last summer and though the Calgary online store said they were in stock, it took six weeks to fill the order. Interesting that things have degenerated to the point that they can't keep their website up to date and have backorders stacked up beyond ever being able to fill them so they're just canceling orders. Not good for business but understandable if you've been in any of the big box outdoors stores the last six months. And not just the outdoors stores. For more than a month none of the dozen big chain grocery stores in town (including three Walmarts) have had any vanilla on the shelf. Only one Safeways has quart jars of no name imitation stuff at an awful price. Weird.

Last edited:
Haha, most major retailers do. Some of the new camera systems we were test driving take it to another level.
Retailers can x-ray me if they want. I hate shoplifters and despise pilferage even more. Whatever it takes to catch them is fine by me. Helps keep prices down and my wallet thicker.

I was just in Walmart on Sunday. The store seemed not to be lacking for inventory. I wonder if they squeezed out all the local retailers? Hmmmm. Anyways, I did see that they had Mountain House entrees and breakfasts for $9 each. Bought a ton for my elk trip hopefully this Fall. Selection wasn't bad either. And there is Mountain House's website listing it for $13-14 each. Gouge my eyeballs out.

I bought the Stone Glacier pack in October because it was made here, but now I understand that a lot of their clothes are made in China! Disappoints the hell outta me. I like the guys, but now my loyalty has been shaken. As for bipods for my rifle, I bought a Hatch Outdoors from Idaho. Nice people. Great quality.

Maybe we should have a thread of all American-made retailers, huh? Desert Dog Outdoors tries to publicize American manufacturers. I'm all for that. Screw the enemy. They ain't our friends. Tariff the shit outta them.

What say you??

I don't know if they do this all of the country, but I cannot stand that they organize ammo by brand rather than caliber.

Its enough to make me want to destroy the shelf...

And what I mean by brand is instead of having a shelf for 308 which has all the brands (like what everyone who is sane does) they have one shelf for Remington all calibers.

So if you want 308 you have to check 6 different spots in the ammo section.

Really grinds my gears...
The Cabelas in Lacey WA dosen't even have ammo:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back