Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Favorite modern western movies or series?

Django Unchained was a good one as well. True Grit revamp was worth the price of admission, as well.

I really enjoyed Longmire. Wind River is on my watch list.

The hateful eight was entertaining but I wouldn't classify it as a western, at least a traditional western.

I read the Longmire books and liked them up until the book when they left WY to head to Philly. Subsequent books never seemed as good afterwards.

The show was good compared to most things. I did not like having the female deputy character changed so much when the books became the show.

Robert B. Parker's Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch collection (7 books) in movie and/or book form.

For me a modern day Western has cowboy type characters but the story is set in today’s timeline, example LONGMIRE , and a traditional western is a period piece set in 1800’s regardless of when filmed as in HOSTILES

3 Modern Day Westerns I really enjoyed and would recommend are listed below in no particular order, happy viewing :cool:

1. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada from 2005 staring Tommy Lee Jones , with Country Singer Dwight Yoakam as a sheriff, old school justice type movie

2. A Night in Old Mexico from 2013 staring Robert Duvall , theme an old cowboy Ain’t dead just yet and gots a little fight still left

3. Hell or High Water 2106 staring Jeff Bridges , Chris Pine and Ben Foster from the 3:10 to Yuma remake , theme Good vs Bad cowboys on the plains of Texas

Attachments

• D90CD8E7-F0DE-44DA-84B1-4CFBDFD166BF.jpeg
    D90CD8E7-F0DE-44DA-84B1-4CFBDFD166BF.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 36A5F923-E15E-405D-8F30-FDA8499CBF77.jpeg
    36A5F923-E15E-405D-8F30-FDA8499CBF77.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 2
  • BFE04235-DA44-4846-9A59-089265554AAC.jpeg
    BFE04235-DA44-4846-9A59-089265554AAC.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I guess you could call No Country for Old Men a western. I did like that one. I'll agree that Wind River was an awesome movie. I enjoyed Hostiles as well. Justified was sort of a western series, I liked it too.

Appaloosa is a great one just for the gun handling alone, it's not often you see tac loading or following the threat down after the shot. Open Range is really good too. I watch both movies quite often.

Since we are talking classics, I sat down with my daughter a few weeks back and watched The Three Amigos...she doesn’t appreciate the humor yet.

No real order here
1. Justified not really a western but kinda
2. Hell or High Water
4. Highwaymen
5. True Grit

Back