Father Son Antelope Hunt - First One

borf722

I have been reading and studying everything I can on public land hunting for Antelope in WY for weeks (2019 season) Looking at maps, got onX chip, studied draw results and have realized all the zones I have a chance at without preference points have limited public land. I have been looking at 20,22,23,24,8,9,6,17,16. As soon as I think I have found a spot I read where someone says not to waste my time. We are willing to walk. I would love to find a place where we could get a antelope buck and doe tag. Doesn’t have to be the same place. Better yet throw in a mule deer tag as well. He turns 13 this year and this is something he has been talking about a while. Any help would be appreciated.

I recommend just focusing on antelope. I think having a deer tag might be too much to do on your first trip especially if you don't have a lot of time and have never set foot in an area. If you tag out on antelope, then do some scouting for future antelope and/or deer hunts.

Thank you for the welcome. I would still like to have a little more concrete info before I apply.

welcome ...read up on the pronghorn forum lots of info that can help you get a idea of what your up against and what your looking to get out of your trip.

i say just pick a unit that you like the blm/state ground set up , tell your boy you guys are going to just have fun campings/hiking/glassing for a week and if you get a antelope thats just a bonus. if you guys are wiling to go into it with that attitude your going to have a blast .

You can have a good shot at doe tags in units with very good access. Also, for bucks, I'd probably look at the special draw, which will open up some better units than those listed. If you forget about deer for this trip you'll save more than enough money for the special tags.

I agree, ditch the deer tag. You have enough to focus on already. Two options if they fit your budget is the special draw or a trespass hunt. The special draw is usually cheaper but both can improve your odds of tagging something. Most of the units you mentioned should have die tags available which should up your success rate too.

Welcome to the forum.

Also, as mentioned, spend some time researching threads on here. There's a ton of good stuff that has been posted on pronghorn hunting, understanding the draw, trip planning, gear selection etc

Just to help a little. I would cross off 23. Very hard to gain access. I hunted 24... limited access, however, it can be done if you find the right area...…. and because people on this site once helped me (and still do)…. you might want to place #7 on that list.

good luck to all
the dog

Last year was my first trip to Wyoming. I got all the warnings like you did about public land and they are mostly true. The way I see it, if you are unfit, like to simply drive around or do very basic hunting, then yes, those units can be VERY frustrating and "a waste of time".

If you are willing to put a lot of work and effort, and can shoot 300-400 yards then it is worth it. Don't expect large animals but there are bucks out there in those hard zones. Last year, I shot my antelope on day four in Unit 23 and he scored 71 3/8, nothing huge compared to other units but taking into consideration where I got it, I think I did damn well. It was a tough hunt with frustrations but worth every minute of it. I personally would rather hunt smaller animals in tougher units every year than wait to rack up points and get a shot at large bucks every 5+ years.

Great info guys. I’ve got a list of units piling up in my phone I’ve been saving of “possible units” and “definitely not units”.

Pointingdigsrule- you were on the reltree forum back in the day, weren’t ya?

I wish I could help you narrow it down, but I will just pretty much agree with the people’s comments ahead of mine. I am not sure I am doing it right but you can waste a half day and walk three miles trying to cover a one square mile section pretty easily. I am always surprised that I didn’t see these animals before I checked out a little hidey hole. I think antelope do go to water daily, but a lot of those areas have little stock ponds all over the place for water. Also I agree be a little prepared for some frustration in those areas like above, but they will give you an opportunity. They can super territorial, so a lot of times when you find a group you can usually come back to them, even if they are spooked. Probably not new info. but there it is.

Thank you for all the help. Last question when do they say how many tags are going to be available so you can figure out if the draw dynamics are going to change?

I just wanted to let you guys know we had an awesome trip. We ended up with two doe tags each in 73 and a buck tag in 113. We filled all but one in 4 days and should have got it, but I missed a nice one on the last day. Great father son time. Next year all three boys and I will be back. Thanks for the tips.

Attachments

• A253CF7F-7AEB-433E-BB1E-43314FA11999.jpeg
    A253CF7F-7AEB-433E-BB1E-43314FA11999.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 14765B21-259E-4510-840E-55ECE21AC4BF.jpeg
    14765B21-259E-4510-840E-55ECE21AC4BF.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members