Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Keep at it - a diet of only fruits and veggies isn't sustainable for long for most people - but you can add in some beans for protein sake. Lean meat (once in a while) cooked with some peppers and tomatoes is tasty and will give you some of the meat you're craving. Some regular exercise to boost your metabolic rate in the morning is a particularly good idea.

Not all calories are created equally. Sugar is a killer when trying to lose weight so strictly manage your sugar intake - juicing can be really heavy on the sugar, even though it's "only" fructose. You need the fiber from the fruits to be beneficial. In the end, it's mostly about portion management, regular exercise and limiting (or completely excluding) processed foods and replacing them with fresh veggies. Most people find that they're able to keep their metabolism burning at a higher rate if they eat 5-6 small portions every day instead of 2-3 big meals.

It's tough to lose weight in the lifestyle most of us have in this country, but you're tougher.

I Have never struggled with weight,so I don't know the challenges associated with serious weight loss. However weight loss is a basic principle, you have to burn more caloriess than you consume,while still eating a balanced diet. Regular exersize offsets a lot. Good luck.

I definitely agree, lots of money being made on diets.....I just don't understand. When I get to a weight I am not comfortable with, I use the MY FITNESS PAL app. Great program, lets you set a goal, track your progress and daily calorie intake. Best part of it......the more you exercise, the more calories you earn back, which equals some extra food.

That said, Keep it up Nick, sounds like your current trajectory should have you where you want to be before you know it!

Last edited:
Persistence is the key. Stick with it Nick. You mentioned a goal was to loss 1# per week. Very doable goal, but it is a matter of sticking with it. Having been up and down all my life with my weight I have come to realize it is more about changing my lifestyle. I too am on a goal to loss some weight (20#) again but this time am working on not just cutting out those bowls of ice cream and a donut on the way to work, but also putting more natural things in my diet and less processed foods. Those minutes on that treadmill are important too. Good luck.

Good on you buddy.

I gained 12lb since returning from Montana last November, just started to put that straight, i will keep an eye on that in future, Christmas didn't help.

We have so many TV shows over in the UK showing the top end of the scale with morbidly obese people, drain on the hospitals when they have bariatric surgery, as one surgeon said, it isn't rocket science, if you shove too many calories down your throat and sit around all day you will gain weight, you are not born with anything wrong with you, and it has also been said, a terrible comparison to make, but there were no fat people in the concentration camps.

The most recent TV show airing the UK has a great way of losing weight, involving money and competition, you agree with a friend or family member, weigh yourselves and work out your amount of body fat you are carrying in a %. then put your money where you mouth is, say $100 each, weigh again after 2 months and calculate % body fat lost (not amount of pounds lost) and then the winner gets to keep the loot!

Cheers

Richard

Well it sounds like I have some support for weight loss even if not everybody buys into the Juicing aspect. I have bets with several friends and I am much too competitive to lose.
I am getting a major amount of static and feedback right here at the house. My wife totally supports the juicing for 1 or 2 meals but insists I eat at least 1 home cooked meal per day. We are currently working out some ground rules that we can both live with for a couple of weeks. The idea is that the menu changes are lifelong changes such as playing card sized steaks (WHAT???) and reduced carbs like 1 helping of mashed potatoes instead of 4. Until we settle, I will continue juicing 100% (with a jerky stick here and there). happy wife =happy life.
I want to thank each of you for the replies and the encouragement and the words of advice.
I did take a before picture and will share it as soon as there is evidence of change.

It's like climbing a hill - keep goin!
Sounds like you have exercise work (walk and weights are excellent )
and now need to be mentally tough.
Change diets up - not sure I would want to lose lbs
On juice? Not what I would recommend.
Don't eat late.
Workout twice a day
Weights am / treadmill pm
No fast foods.

I have been fighting this battle most of my life. Its funny looking at pictures of me when I was 2 or 3 and I had love handles and a belly.

Everyone is different. The only thing that works for me meat and veggies. No abnormal hunger pains, no highs and lows of energy. I truly believe that most of the processed "food" that Americans consume is poisoning us.

Patrick

I'd also recommend the MyFitnessPal app. It makes it super easy to keep track of, and control what you are eating. It also rewards you for any exercise by allowing you more calories that day. For me, working out in the morning is the best thing I can do. I absolutely hate it and for the rest of the day there is no way I'm going to eat junk food to cancel it out.

Good luck! I hope to see you posting in the future about your progress!

Nick - tape a picture of your kids to the top of the treadmill so you see them every time you feel like giving up. I can tell from your sig line that you have your priorities in the right order. Do this for them as well as yourself.

Nick- good for you!! I know it's tough, but you can do it! Post your goals somewhere you see them everyday. It will stop you from putting things off until tomorrow. I would second MyFitnessPal- keeping a food journal can be a pain, but it will keep you honest about what and how much you're eating. It can also track micronutrients- so if you want to know how much sodium you're getting, you can. Find something to work toward to help you stay motivated.

Good on you, Nick, for setting the goal and sharing it here to keep you honest! I know you'll achieve anything you set your mind to. You'll be shipshape and ready to build that AK cabin in no time!

Michael

Well it sounds like I have some support for weight loss even if not everybody buys into the Juicing aspect. I have bets with several friends and I am much too competitive to lose.
I am getting a major amount of static and feedback right here at the house. My wife totally supports the juicing for 1 or 2 meals but insists I eat at least 1 home cooked meal per day. We are currently working out some ground rules that we can both live with for a couple of weeks. The idea is that the menu changes are lifelong changes such as playing card sized steaks (WHAT???) and reduced carbs like 1 helping of mashed potatoes instead of 4. Until we settle, I will continue juicing 100% (with a jerky stick here and there). happy wife =happy life.
I want to thank each of you for the replies and the encouragement and the words of advice.
I did take a before picture and will share it as soon as there is evidence of change.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Just remember, the end goal is not the weight loss. The end goal is maintaining that lifestyle for the rest of your life.

As someone else said, remember that you are doing it for your family so that you live longer, healther, and happier with them.

Scrambled eggs with a LITTLE grated parmesan cheese are a very healthy source of protein for you. Also, don't be afraid of foods like plain greek yogurt and whole milk. Just consume them in moderation (i.e one serving of each per day).

Good luck!

Good luck and keep posting - it'll help keep you honest. One item that hasn't been mentioned is short-term goals. They can be simple - but find something that will keep you motivated. IE - when I get back into 38 pants, or break 240 lbs or whatever - then I get something (hunting gear, fun thing with the family, etc).

Pullin for ya, Nick!
We're all in this together.
Definitely keep posting to keep you honest...

Way to go! One thing I've read about that has worked really well for some people is to only eat for a certain number of hours everyday. Some people will only eat during an 8 or 10 hour window from maybe 8 am to 6 pm. Apparently some people have had great results with that. Something to look into.

I am on weight watchers - I figure the $40 per month is a good investment in my future, plus once you reach your goal weight, if you maintain your weight loss, it is free. Sometimes I pay, sometimes it is free.

WW functions on the basis of making permanent changes to your eating and exercise habits, plus they provide lots of support - both food plans (don't think diet) and the psychology of eating.

As has been said before on this thread, if you want to keep the weight off, you need a permanent change in eating habits.

Good luck.

Thanks folks!
I am going to step on the scale in the morning for an unofficial weight( I only count Sunday mornings). My first goal was to get below 280 for the first time in over a decade. I think tomorrow is the day, maybe Wednesday but for sure by Sunday. I have acquiesced to eating a bit of food as my wife and several others have suggested. As long as I continue to trend down, I will be happy.

Based on the title I thought this thread was about me! I'm a good hundo overweight and really need to do more about it. 'Course, my weight as a testimony, I'm short on willpower...

Good luck to the OP and I hope you reach your goal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back