Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

the nikster

I have seen the videos of these guys and their weight loss. I also saw the one guy relapsed and put the weight back on--sad for him.
6 days ago I weighed 289.4 lbs. I ate a normal diet until wednesday when I switched to all fruits and veggies, mostly veggies.
Thursday night, for dinner, I juiced. All day friday I had juice and a couple of glasses of water.
This morning for breakfast I had juice. So far, no massive cravings although I would like a 132 oz steak right about now....and a potato or 6...and some butter!!!!
Anyway, no headaches, I don't hate the world. Just a little of the expected hunger that you might get if you spent 25 years as a glutton and then backed away from solid food.
This morning I weighed 283.6 lbs. That could easily be just normal fluctuation. It could just be an empty digestive tract, I don't know. But I do like the trend.
I am going to stay on the juice until next weekend. I will then check my weight again and reassess if the program is working for me. If the trend remains and my health is the same or better, I will extend another week...and so on and so on.
My goal is 225 lbs-eventually. I would love to make it this year, that is a little over 1 lb. per week averaged over the year.
I figured I better put it out there publicly or I might be sitting in a restaurant this afternoon eating a pizza, or a burger, or fried chicken, or BBQ, with a soda.
Thought you guys might be able to keep the pressure on me even if 'sheep shape' is not my goal.

Good luck Nick, I had a friend that took a similar approach. He went from being seriously overweight to now competing in triathlons. He went to an all vegetarian diet.

Stay strong, avoid temptation.

Good luck!! I'm in an obesity program through the VA and I've been losing weight. I am down about 40 pounds in a year. I know your struggle all too well.

Trying to lose some weight myself, but not going full-tilt like you are. Cutting back on this and that, eating more fruits and veggies, and I'm just about ready to throw out the Death By Chocolate ice cream in the freezer. Goal is somewhere around 20-25 pounds less than I am now, and work on my cardio. I can go like hell for a little while, but then I'm needing oxygen! Good luck!

.......... 132 oz steak ........
Now that's funny

Keep is simple since we all know the 'extreme' stuff seldom works in the long run.

You may be surprised on the benefits of a 30 min brisk walk each day.

Get in a gym if you can and just start on the treadmill, start what works for you and expand on it, more speed and more incline. Keep us posted and stay with it, we know you can do it.

This diet you are on is unsustainable. You will loose weight because you are starving yourself of actual food. Once you reach your goal are you going to keep this sort of intake? Most likley not. A well balanced diet with portion control is the best way to loose weight and keep it off after after reaching your goal.
Those people who put the weight back on did so because they went back to eating the same things and amounts that made them fat to begin with.
It has to be a permanent change in eating habits and excersise MUST be part of the solution.
Good luck to you and you may yet get to be "sheep shape."

Thank you all!
I did forget to mention that I have been walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes each morning since January 3. Also been doing some light lifting each morning to try and get my upper body equalized after shoulder surgery. It's a pretty extreme plan initially, that's for sure.
My eyes are wide open-no way is this diet sustainable long term. Most of the similar diets have additional sources of nutrients included. I suspect I'll be adding some of these back to maintain health and happiness. This is really just a starting point-I am wayyy too much of a carnivore to give up all the meats. In the end I intend to replace a liquid meal with a light, more substantial meal once a day. Then if I stabilize I can replace another and another. This is the pendulum over-correcting so that at some point I can find a happy median.

I lost 50 pounds this past summer getting ready for moose hunting. I did the Nutrisystem plan. I lost the weight in about 4 months, but I was walking briskly for 45 minutes at least 5 times a week, and doing 50 pushups and 50 sit ups at least 5 times a week also. I just got in from plowing the bike path that goes past our house so that I can walk. I have a recumbent bike, but I would much rather walk outside if I can. I have put 10 pounds back on over the holidays and since the end of hunting season, but have been able to stabilize that. If I go up any more I'm going right back on the Nutrisystem plan for a month or two. My thing is portion control. One thing the Nutrisystem plan does is encourage you to eat a little 5 or 6 times a day. It works, but like was said before, a guy has to make that change permanent! You can do it. I went from a XXl to a L! That is a great feeling. You made the hardest step, that was admitting you needed to make the change.

I Have never struggled with weight,so I don't know the challenges associated with serious weight loss. However weight loss is a basic principle, you have to burn more caloriess than you consume,while still eating a balanced diet. Regular exersize offsets a lot. Good luck.

Congratulations on starting your program. I to started Nutrisystem on Sept 27th and to date have lost 50 lbs and hope to lose another 50. I have been on this plan before but I tend to miss the portion control part afterward and gain some back over a several year period. Yup a 132 oz steak sounds awesome ;) So this time I'm going for the long term getting where I was in my early 20's and maintaining it. My wife has been super supportive and has met some of her own goals and wants to lose another 7 lbs to reach her final goal. Like was said before eat 5 or 6 small meals through out the day and it's easier to maintain your program.
Good Luck,
Dan

Funny Nick, I recently watched this while I was doing a Netflix documentary day and I had to laugh. While very interesting, they left out a ton of information. Juicing is probably one of the worst things in the world to do due to going back to regular food, you put the weight right back on.

While I'm all for you working out and loosing weight, as I'm trying to do as well, I suggest you stay away form juicing. I personally refuse to do it. To me it's about as bad as the Atkins diet.

Good luck to you and keep at it ! I suggest just walking, eat less, the weight will come off. My problem seems to come with I love pizza, pasta, bread and beer... :)

Congrats. Keep at it. You will be amazed how much better you'll feel after just a 10 or 15 lb loss.

A few years ago I dropped 25 pounds. I would set on the scale every morning. If I weight was the same or less I would continue on, If it was more I would cut back. worked for me. Good luck to you.

Antlerradar

Or just take up running... I burned 2,237 calories this morning on my 14 mile long run. (According to my runkeeper app anyway)

One thing that helps keep me motivated is to do everything I can do be around as long as possible for my wife and son. It's not a guarantee, but in theory it should help.

I've done several diets before and lost weight but always put it back on. Now that I'm running I don't have to watch what I eat nearly as much and I've been able to keep the weight off longer than I ever have before.

I was pushing the 250 mark for a long time and shed 45 pounds in about the first year of running and watching my diet and now I just keep an eye on things. If I get up above 210 I start watching what I eat a little closer and the weight drops back off. Now I've set my upper threshold at 205 so if I get to that I start working to bring it down. This fall I got to my lowest weight since my Sophomore year of college. 197 pounds. Right now I'm at 204, still need to get my holiday weight off.

Good luck Nick.I'm getting ready to take off some of my holiday weight.Right now I have 20 lbs to lose to get back to what I consider a good weight for myself,and maintain my strength.That juice and veggie diet sounds like it would get old quick.Sounds like you have your mind in the right place to achieve your results.No way am I not eating meat.I'll just adjust the amounts and cut out my junk food which is my real problem
Again,good luck.I know a mountain on POW that would help in your fitness program

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back