Falconry

Emberglo

So, I'm not sure if this is the right location to post this. But, when I first started posting on the forum, I mentioned that I was a falconer and some people expressed interest in seeing some photos and a knowing a bit about it. So, here it goes!

I'll start off with a bit of an explanation, then the photos. Falconry is probably the most highly regulated hunting sport in the US. Other parts of the world aren't as stringent. Here in the US, to become a falconer, you must find a General or Master class falconer that is willing to sponsor you for 2 years and supervise and teach you. You start as an Apprentice for 2 years, then progress to General class for 5 more years. At each stage, you are allowed to possess more and different species of birds. The most common starting bird is a Red Tailed Hawk, and that is what my first bird was. I've been a falconer for 9 years, which makes me a Master class.

Generally the first bird or birds a falconer hunts with are trapped from the wild when they are under a year old. This is because birds of prey have a nearly 80% mortality rate their first year, so the small take by falconers doesn't affect wild populations. These birds can also be released to the wild at a later date. After a bird is trapped, the falconer spends a lot of time calmly sitting with the bird getting it to trust you. Eventually, the bird will eat off of the glove. Then, you get the bird stepping to the glove, and finally hopping or flying progressively longer distances. While training, you also introduce a lure to the bird, which is usually a leather bag that has a larger piece of meat attached than you would give them on the glove. They get to really like their lure and will usually come long distances for it knowing it has a large meal. Once the bird is responding instantly to you and the lure at long distances (sometimes up to 100 yards) you are ready to start hunting.

The most common game for a Red Tail is either rabbits, jackrabbits, or squirrels. When flying a falcon, the typical game is ducks, pheasants, quail and other game birds. Falconers usually have extended seasons compared to gun hunting because the success rate of falconers is usually much lower than gun hunters.

If anybody has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

This is Adelaide (my Red Tail) on the day I trapped her.
1.jpg

Our first rabbit together. 30 days of training after I trapped her.
2.jpg

First double on rabbits. That is my sponsor in the photo with me.
3.jpg

Our first Jackrabbit after moving out West.
4.jpg

Adelaide as an Adult.
5.jpg

Not sure why the other photos showed up in the end there, but here's some captions...

One is my friend's Red Tail using my head as a landing spot.

Then, a Golden Eagle I got to hunt with.

Then Adelaide snagging a Jackrabbit.

A friends Gyrfalcon.

A friend's Prairie Falcon on a pheasant.

And my friend's Peregrine Falcon.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 280
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Thanks for the glimpse into hunting with raptors Emberglo.

i would be interested in learning how the trapping of these birds occurs. I am also wondering if your intended prey is waterfowl, do you setup decoys and do the traditional calling to bring those ducks close before releasing your hunter?

I am also a falconer.

Do you just fly an RT, or is that gyr and peregrine yours as well?

Thanks for the glimpse into hunting with raptors Emberglo.

i would be interested in learning how the trapping of these birds occurs. I am also wondering if your intended prey is waterfowl, do you setup decoys and do the traditional calling to bring those ducks close before releasing your hunter?

When trapping, you are typically using live bait like pigeons, starlings, or rats/mice depending on what type of bird you are trying to catch and what type of trapping you are doing. The most common way of trapping is bait surrounded by small nooses that catch the birds feet and toes when they try and grab the bait. Other times, a pigeon or starling is rigged near a spring loaded net that the falconer triggers and catches the bird underneath.

As for waterfowl, generally you will sneak up to a small pond or creek and check for ducks on the water without spooking them.

If you are hunting with a hawk like a Goshawk, you will have the bird on the fist and sneak up to the water and flush the ducks. The Goshawk will fly off the fist after them and is usually fast enough to catch up and grab them. With a Red Tail, you will put the bird up high in a tree, and then flush the ducks. The Red Tails aren't fast enough to catch them off the fist.

Waterfowl are traditionally the realm of falcons like the Gyr or Peregrine I posted. They are trained to leave the fist a little ways from the pond and circle, gaining a lot of hight. Up to 1000 feet sometimes. When the falcon is in a good position, the falconer runs in and flushes the ducks. The falcon will dive, which is called a stoop, and strike the duck in the air. They are some of the most traditional and spectacular flights to watch.

I am also a falconer.

Do you just fly an RT, or is that gyr and peregrine yours as well?

Very cool to meet another falconer on here! What do you fly?

So far, just the Red Tail. I plan on trapping a Merlin this fall once the leaves are off the trees and deer/elk season is over here. Hopefully to chase Starlings around the feed lots here.

Very cool! There's a veterinarian in Utah that I met through another forum that posts videos of him and his daughters falconry exploits. Fascinating as heck. Thanks for sharing with us.

Wild bird and a month later trained and hunting. That's impressive! Any idea on the age?

That's a beautiful bird. What are other common birds used in falconry?

So, in the US, the most common birds are Red Tailed Hawks, American Kestrels, Harris' Hawks, Merlins, Cooper's Hawks, Goshawks, Prairie Falcons, Peregrine Falcons, Gyrfalcons, and Hybrids of the Peregrine and Gyrfalcon. The very traditional European falconry birds are the Common Kestrel (which is different than our American Kestrel), the Merlin, the Peregrine, the Gyrfalcon and the Goshawk.

Wild bird and a month later trained and hunting. That's impressive! Any idea on the age?

When you trap a bird from the wild, it's nearly always less than 1 year old. Trapping season is typically September through December but it's not date restricted in a lot of states. Most of the birds falconers trap are born around April and trapped around September or October.

When I trapped my bird she had scars on her feet already from squirrels and she had dried blood and hair on her feet, which is how I decided she'd be a good hunter.

I am currently inbetween birds, next on the list is a peregrine...

Very cool! Are you going to try for one of the passage permits? I would love to fly a large longwing. Probably a Prairie for my first, but I don't have anywhere to have a pigeon loft or a dog right now, so it'll have to wait a few years.

Emberglo,

Great post. Impressive pictures. I might have missed this but what is the typical life span of a Red Tailed Hawk?

Hi Bighorn, in captivity, they will typically live 25 to 30 years if they stay healthy. In the wild, from what I've been told, 15 can be pretty old.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back