Exercise Equipment

buckykm1

Hi Everyone.
I am 61 years old, and do my best to stay in shape for Elk hunting.
I work out on a Elliptical and Treadmill on a regular basis.
I am thinking about buying a product like the Total Gym to add to my work outs.
Do any of you have or use one ? any pros or cons ?

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin it is really important to find ways to do some core work. Your ability to do the hard stuff is directly related not only to your cardio but the core as well. The more you put in ahead of time, the less painful it will be in the mountains :) My camp buddy had some frineds come out from Iowa this year for second season. They camped down the mountains from us (about 500' lower) and only lasted 3 days before one of them got altitude sickness ;/ It was pretty obvious from their "shape" that they hadn't taken the advice seriously.

I like Ben's advice. I married younger too, but I am 40.
Are you retired?
I do not own a Total Gym. I am not pro home gym either. Since you are in MI, it might not be a bad idea with your winters there etc? and/or access to a gym.
***I would save space at home, one less thing to collect dust and go to/join a Y, or 24Hour fitness, or planet fitness. If you need a workout, PM me.
Next, the fad is cross fit. Design your own program at home. Some equipment for a fun crossfit program would cost you less than TG. You can customize your workouts, change things up, and can add or change your equipemnt as you see fit.
Last, would get yourself some cross country skis and do some trekking in them parts.

I own and operate my own business, 8 months out of the year I work 60 to 80 hours a week, it slows to about 40 during the winter. if I had to go to a gym, I would never have time to work out, closest one is 35 to 45 minutes away.
My Wife is 10 years younger than me, and she can't keep up with me.
I have been chasing Elk on and off for the last 30 years, and the last 10 years straight, and hope to do it well into my 70s.
I work out for a half hour to a hour 6 days a week, I am just thinking about adding something different to my work out.

Kevin

Last edited:
Follow Cameron Hanes on Facebook or on his youtube channel.

Following him through the forest and over mountains would likely improve your shape more. It might get you a restraining order, too. Speaking of which, anyone hear from Moosie? :D

Bucky - I'm in the same boat as you (biz owner with LOOONNNGGG hours) and the only time I can make time for working out is early am. Not sure the Total Gym will add what you want. I'd try some core-focused stuff.

It is my upper that that needs some help, that is why I was thinking something along the lines of the total gym would help, and at 61, the body just won't take the same kind of workouts some of you younger guys do.

Thanks for all the advise.
Kevin

There are pros and cons to "crossfit" type conditioning that is beyond the scope of your question...but if you can find a crossfit gym in your area I would really recommend giving it a shot. On TV all you see are the beasts but a good crossfit coach/trainer has the ability to greatly improve anyones fitness in two/three months. The workouts are surpirisingly short, but intense. If it turns out you don't like it, you can always try something different.

At the gym I go to now there is a machine called a VersaClimber, and although I typically dispise machines, this one works your legs/core/upper body all at the same time very well. If I am on it for 12 minutes I am covered in sweat. GOOD LUCK!!! Doing anything is better than nothing!

You can achieve everything you need to by doing body weight exercises. Try to focus on functional movement type stuff, like walking lunges, pushups, walking pushups, walking planks, pullups, and so on. Don't forget your core either.

I will +1 what JLS said.

If nothing else start there. There is too much exercise equipment that collects dust, takes up room, or is a convenient place to dry clothes. Doing the body weight exercises can be done with little to no gear. (You could install a pull up bar and maybe buy a medicine ball and yoga ball. Total outlay less than $100)

No matter what you do, it takes time. At least if you fall by the wayside on the time issue, you won't have some expensive piece of equipment collecting dust.

Another thing you might try is Kettle Bells. You can find some good workouts with them and they do alot to strengthen your core while also working the muscles in your arms and legs.

If I was going to get into strength training, I would go more towards buying dumbells and kettle bells a set at a time, and invest in a good solid adjustable bench. This will give you way more flexability and variety. Ussually when you use a machine you take away alot of the workout from your core.

Also, regarding crossfit, the whole point is that you keep your heartrate up during your workout. I developed my own workout routine, similar to crossfit, that is a combination of cardio, weights, heavy bag, and kettle bells. I also will alternate sets when lifting to keep up my heart rate, so when one muscle group is resting, I am working another. the nice thing is that when you keep your pace up during your workout it goes quick and only takes 45 minutes, where someone not keeping up the pace it could take an hour and a half.

Also, regarding crossfit, the whole point is that you keep your heartrate up during your workout. I developed my own workout routine, similar to crossfit, that is a combination of cardio, weights, heavy bag, and kettle bells. I also will alternate sets when lifting to keep up my heart rate, so when one muscle group is resting, I am working another. the nice thing is that when you keep your pace up during your workout it goes quick and only takes 45 minutes, where someone not keeping up the pace it could take an hour and a half.

Spot on. That is the beauty of Crossfit and Insanity type workouts. You are strength training in a manner that also incorporates high intensity interval training into your workout.

Intervals are a fantastic way to train for hunting season (climb, rest, climb anyone) and give you tremendous bang for your buck timewise.

Mix this up with some sort of endurance training and you are set.

Kettle bells and med balls are an awesome option for a home gym.

As others have mentioned, doing something is better than nothing.

The only issue with treadmills, climbers is that you are moving but not pushing or lifting. Meaning running 3 miles on the treadmill at 3% grade is still much easier that running 3 miles on level ground.

I like to mix it up a bit the tools I have used are:
Train To Hunt site with Dan Staton
P90x
Burpee Challenge
Squat Challenge
My custom Spartan Race workout

Here is a sample workout for starting out:
Run 2 miles (starting out, you can jog, walk or run)
1. Crunches - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute
2. Push-ups - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute (I use push-up bars for range of motion)
3. Plank - keep good form and hold for as long as you can
4. Body weight squats - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute
5. Chin-ups - keep good form, do as many as you can in 1 minute
6. Side Plank - Lie on your side, supporting your body with your forearm, then push up using your arm so that your hips raise off the ground. Hold for a minute on each side, while focusing on keeping your hips rigid
7. Fist Twists (or Medicine Ball) - sit with legs bent and feet raised. Then lift ball, keeping shins parallel to floor. Now twist to right and left, touching the ground with fists/ball.

Once you complete this comfortably, try for a 2nd and 3rd round.

You can swap out the body squats for the Burpee Challenge or Squat Challenge in alternating months!

The cool thing about these workouts, is they don't require a gym membership or a lot of room.

Just my 2 cents!

You definately can! It is all about mixing things up. Introducing some strength training does't need to be super intense. I would not reccomend getting on the squat rack or doing deadlifts, but there is alot of other things you can do. How does something like this sound?

- 5-10 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical (medium jog, you are looking to get your heart rate up, but not so much that you can't get off and start lifting. While you lift your heart rate will gradually slow)
- Kettle bell swings (youtube these) and dumbell presses (3 sets each: swings, presses, swings, presses, etc)
- 5-10 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical again
- Body Weight lunges and bent over rows (great for bowhunters) (3 alternating sets)
- 5-10 more minutes cardio
- Military press and crunches (3 alternating sets)
- 5-10 minutes more of light cardio to allow your heartrate to slow while your body is still moving

You could do this at home with what you already have, plus a few dumbells and kettle bells and a bench. You can find dozens of different strength exercises on the web that you can use to change up your workout from day to day. This model is also very easy to increase the intensity of by amping up the cardio and weights without taking alot more time.

Thanks for all the advise, BUT
Did you guys miss the part that I am ( 61 years old ) ?. my body can't do what you young pups can. anymore.

Well, you obviously need to tailor what you are doing to match your fitness level, but I don't buy for a minute that you can't do pushups, pullups, walking lunges, and body weight squats.

My max HR is going to be higher than yours because I'm 42. Adjust your rest periods and go from there. I personally think a Total Gym is a waste of money for what you want to accomplish.

Edit: Even Insanity classes will offer you modified exercise movements to meet your fitness level and/or any injury concerns.

I am 66 and totally support the k bells suggestion. check out Skogg system.com it has been great for me. I have regained range of motion and strength to previously injured and arthritic shoulders. You still benefit from the cardio and mixing everything up and creating intervals as previously mentioned makes it less boring. Treadmill and elliptical can be hyped by wearing your pack w/ weight as appropriate and having netflix on the tube. Never quit, you can do it. Start w/ body weight exercises, warm up well and don't injure yourself overdoing it. Try to hike w/pack once/week.

mike r

I decided to get the Total Gym, I think it is going to be a awesome addition to my workout.
I have only used it 3 times so far, and am doing 15 reps on the 18 different exercises for a total body workout they have on the DVD. I plan on using it in 3 times a week just like they suggest. along with my Elliptical, treadmill and bicycle when the weather allows.
I know some of you don't like machines, But this thing will definitely improve your over all fitness.
I think specially for us older guys that get limited on what we can do. jmo

Kevin

Back