Yeti GOBOX Collection

Everything but Hunttalk

Boots and hooves. I hate anonymity. I also hate being doxed and having teammates sucked into a hunting/anti-hunting public burning at the stake. Jobs and wealth is at stake.

If HuntTalk was a private forum which required proof of identity and actual names as post then am on board. Until then, am part of an ecosystem that is prone to hyper-emotion and some poking the bear.

I also see the value of a point system for dealing with situations where a member is consistently an asshat and as you build up negative points you lose the right to post for a week then if you max out again are gone. Negative points do decline over time.

I also like the ignore button where a member can avoid a member they are triggered by dealing with such as when politics erupt.

HuntTalk works. No need for changes though are options.

IMG_3698.jpegIMG_1636.jpegIMG_4008-EFFECTS_Original.jpegIMG_0447.jpegIMG_5971.jpegIMG_1681.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3590.jpeg
    IMG_3590.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
In times when HT starts to feel a little bit more like the rest of the world of outrage, vitriol, and stupidity, there is a MAN with the wisdom, vision, and singular wit who could crash through the ceiling and save us all if HE so chose to.

HUNT TALK MAN I CALL OPON YOO GODAMMIT,,!!!

I also see the value of a point system for dealing with situations where a member is consistently an asshat and as you build up negative points you lose the right to post for a week then if you max out again are gone. Negative points do decline over time.

What’s your proposal for mitigating negative point creep?

Sorry. Bad joke

Last edited:

Sorry. Bad joke

Sorry. Bad joke

The Roman way. If you get silenced then 1 of each of the last 10 members who liked your recent post(s) are silenced. Birds of a feather. Let God sort them out. 80% of the good threads start by 20% of the members and comments follow a similar ratio. 80% of the “Thanks Joe” non-hunting dumpster fire threads are by 3% of the members.

This is not the ideal forum for us to whine and moan about Joe and Don and bathrooms and abortion and stock tips and Plandemics and religion and observations that youth are suddenly going soft. Hint: Greeks wrote about youth going soft thousands of years ago. Flapping our lips via key strokes on social issues or other non-hunting matters is either preaching to the choir or triggering others so the result is the oxygen to discuss hunting is sucked out of the room.

When Randy traveled and used to have his spouse watch over the forum then stuff got a bit more civil quickly as she shot first and did not ask questions. Sure, some collateral damage in the quick draw of the locked thread or banned member but reasonable members took note of the new line in the sand.

Early to bed, early to rise...what I miss?

I all honesty I am not on any other so called social media places. Tried FB for a year or so. Yuck.
And I don't have many friends anymore.
But I do on this site. A few.

I'm a loser, but I'm not what I appear to be...

Thanks Randy.

Thought I would break up the thread a bit with stuff from my side, my friend started hunting his roe bucks recently, I'm starting this week, in the meantime here is what he sent me over the weekend.
I guarantee I will never side with R or D on your side of the pond😂

Not sure if I have ever come close to getting banned?

Attachments

• IMG-20230507-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230507-WA0003.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 18
I think HuntTalk is different things to different people.

I think it’s interesting you said the caliber/gun discussions have good info, as those are the ones I’ll never read. I feel like I’ve read them 500 times.

I bet other people feel the exact same way about the political discussions that pop up here and there, and those are the ones I find interesting when they stay on point.

In terms of “ utility“, HT has its seems to have seasons. Random things for public comment, policy proposals, etc. will pop up and this is always the place I go to to get the skinny on those things - even if those threads are 90% wastes of time.

Really, I’m hoping folks such as yourself draw some sweet tags in the coming months and autumn brings their hunting stories. This place shines with those, and someone’s great hunting adventure can make up for 100 threads not worth reading.

Until then, it’s mostly chicken fried steak pictures and people arguing over guns and political parties.

Here’s a nice picture of a public land outhouse I used this morning 😂, it’s all I have to offer, so maybe you’re right…

View attachment 274951
Looks like things are beginning to green up nicely! Happy spring Hunttalkers!

Early to bed, early to rise...what I miss?

I all honesty I am not on any other so called social media places. Tried FB for a year or so. Yuck.
And I don't have many friends anymore.
But I do on this site. A few.

I'm a loser, but I'm not what I appear to be...

Thanks Randy.
'Don't do FARCEBOOK either.
What I do appreciate about HUNT TALK and the many interesting, talented and informative characters who continually chime in with constructive, oft times stimulating and contentious, posts is the candid dialogues. Threads range over a myriad of topics comprising perspectives on hunting, wildlife, public lands, and much more. Many offer helpful information, new insights to consider, and moreover, lots of good humor. Sure, you gotta sift the buckwheat from the bullshit, but that's part of the fun.

Hank, you are certainly no loser ... as continuously expressed by your posts which are so refreshingly candid and open to who you are and how you got there. Appreciation for outback NM and precious pies is well expressed. You and a whole lot of other HT"S would always be welcome in my camp ... esp if arriving with one of those pies!

The OP complained that there wasn't much "Hunttalk" going on these days. But hunting's a seasonal thing and all this jibber jabber that's going on now is just filler between seasons. Might get boring without all that filler. Hell, SanJuanDon's little meltdown alone yesterday, was well worth the price of admission.

Always entertaining. Maybe not informative, but entertaining for sure.

I think participating here is a good reminder that you can be friends with people who you may not agree with politically, may not live anywhere close to, and have really not all that much in common with, a shared love of the outdoors is enough...
the legislative updates and the deep knowledge on here are amazing, I'm all in, and the graphs and stories keep me entertained through many boring days at the office, I'm not here for advice on killing a 2 point in MT or complaining about CO OTC, but boy, do some of those threads get entertaining, and there are the occasional gems like:

rtraverdavis said:
I started writing this long rambley term paper about the ills of selling the holy for one’s own self aggrandizement when I was struck with my own movie idea:

@Nameless Range what would you say about teaming up with me to make a hunting film that basically just consists of you and I refusing to leave the truck while @neffa3 and @SnowyMountaineer spray us with a hose and blast puffs of air into our faces with a bb gun in a glorious effort to get us out of said truck. We’ll call it, “We Were Marmots.”

rtraverdavis said:
I started writing this long rambley term paper about the ills of selling the holy for one’s own self aggrandizement when I was struck with my own movie idea:

@Nameless Range what would you say about teaming up with me to make a hunting film that basically just consists of you and I refusing to leave the truck while @neffa3 and @SnowyMountaineer spray us with a hose and blast puffs of air into our faces with a bb gun in a glorious effort to get us out of said truck. We’ll call it, “We Were Marmots.”

...starring the McConaughey brothers, Matthew and Woody.

Rokslide started deleting those posts.

I made the mistake of listing an area I drew a good tag for few years ago and the following draw app season started receiving tons of emails. I promptly went and changed my posts to remove the unit and voila, no more random PMs!

That being said, I am more than happy, and will, share information with regular members or those who are involved on the forum.

I asked the admin to get off this shit train with no reply. So, I guess until Randy can harvest a mountain goat in under 10 shots or delete me I guess y'all are stuck with me. I'll stick up for the new guys and bash the hater "well-known member"'s.
:unsure:
Your hunt talk handle should be grumpypants freak

A new member know-it-all that got booted? There have been several of those.

That one had all of the markings of a Rokslider, 24 Hour/MM guy etc coming over for a little self emulation to earn some adulation from his online buddies.

It’s super lame to see adults doing that, but it looks just as silly when HT members go over to 24 Hour Campfire/Rokslide and do the same thing and then come back here to brag about it to be honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back