Ever regret the unit/tag you picked & drew?

Disappointed and won't do it again, yes, antelope this year. Regret, no.

Regret is a slightly strong term.... but I didn't realize the Sheep Tag I put in for last year was an Archery only Tag... until after i drew it. I was already an Archer but I would have preferred my first sheep hunt wasn't an archery only. Somehow I missed that line in the Supplement when choosing the hunts i applied for.

It caused me to spend alot more then I wanted or needed to but I don't REALLY regret getting it.

Regret is a slightly strong term.... but I didn't realize the Sheep Tag I put in for last year was an Archery only Tag... until after i drew it. I was already an Archer but I would have preferred my first sheep hunt wasn't an archery only. Somehow I missed that line in the Supplement when choosing the hunts i applied for.

It caused me to spend alot more then I wanted or needed to but I don't REALLY regret getting it.
More so regret taking unit x over a different unit and using your points

I would actually love that mistake, 35 years in multiple states for sheep.....no tags

Yep, I got talked into putting in for an Oregon deer tag. I never saw one deer in 5 days of hunting! Never again.

No, but I’ve also only drawn tags where I had already set foot on the unit, or else had a pretty good idea of what to expect in advance.

Two most important factors to me are presence of animals I can legally tag and ability to get away from other hunters at least to some degree. That’s *usually* doable to plan for.

All other factors are not of much consequence to me. I’m pretty easy to please. Fresh air, a weapon in my hand, and not sitting at my work desk. I’ll enjoy the experience.

Wyoming Elk Area 100.
You really wouldn’t like where I elk hunt then. 🙂

For me, no regrets. A few that weren’t what I hoped and a few that were better than I hoped. To be expected when a hunt can go from the grind of the century to the best experience possible in one second.

One time. I suggested a unit in MT for my brother to apply for lope as a non res. We’d never been there before. This was when I was really a novice in planning hunts. We saw enough antelope, but there was a road block at every turn, usually involving private land. I’d scouted ahead of time and found a bunch of antelope on type 2 bma and secured permission for us well ahead of time. When we showed up at his ranch for the slips, he only gave us permission for about 3 sections of his 20,000 acre bma. And it wasn’t the antelope habitat we were allowed to hunt. We drove by several big herds on his ranch where we couldn’t go. Lol. In the end, we had a great time together and he shot a small buck the last day of his hunt. But I never knew a rifle antelope hunt could get that frustrating.

Only one. I had a CO rifle elk hunt I would decline a do-over on. Maybe it was just a bad year that year but everything I tried was pointless. It was off the reissue list so at least I didn’t spend any points.

CO early deer tag and UT Elk tag

Definitely not a regret as I had a great time hunting both. One tag was a re-issue and one a buddy drew, so I had no skin in the game... but both take years to draw and IMHO are waaaaaaaaay overrated.

Flip side, tons of OTC tags that I can’t believe aren’t draw tags in terms of quality.

I think we tend to look at points and go “oh that must be good” rather than “oh that must be a herd that can only handle a small harvest”.

I've been dissapointed I didn't put in for deer with an elk tag in pocket and vice versa.
I've drawn deer tags and not seen a deer, nor a track in most of it.
I've lived in the good old days and miss them.

I've been dissapointed I didn't put in for deer with an elk tag in pocket and vice versa.
I've drawn deer tags and not seen a deer, nor a track in most of it.
I've lived in the good old days and miss them.
Good to know it happens to seasoned hunters as well. I don't feel so bad now!

No, but some hunts have not been what we hoped/expected. My buddy drew a Utah moose tag last year and we got one, but they weren't where we wanted to be (high recreation areas by ski resorts) and they are below objective so it became more of a grind than we wanted.
Sounds like Brighton or Alta.

I drew a bull moose tag back in the 1980s and wished the whole time I had it that someone else had drawn it. I saw zero moose, jumped 1 bull and ran it across a road and the only other tag holder in the unit shot it. It was a dink. I got to help drag it up out of the creek bottom and load it in the truck whole though. That was the high point. I quit on it with 7 days of season left and went deer hunting.
It didn't help that I also drew a goat tag and a late Gardiner bull elk tag at the same time. Those I enjoyed. I never applied for bull moose again. At that time there was no waiting period.
I always wondered if I would have also drawn a sheep tag that year if I had applied for one. I would still like a sheep tag, but wouldn't buy a moose tag if it was over the counter. I would rather hunt otc deer.

Back