Caribou Gear

Equipment questions

Andrewlonghi

Hey guys

Planning a elk hunting trip this year for beginning of September and I'm researching gear. What's everyone's opinion on kifaru/kuiu gear. I don't personally know anyone that has done a elk hunt before so I've just been watching YouTube videos on gear. I know weight is a big factor with your gear and boots were talked about a lot

As above, figure out what fits you and use it in advance. Don’t show up with new boots and a pack you shoved all your stuff in. Boots can be broken in hiking and put some weight in that pack and test all the adjustments. (Some need an engineering degree to figure out all those straps, you don’t want to be trying to figure that out in the dark). People love and hate the kifaru packs, not everyone likes that modular set up but they are definitely high quality.

As above, figure out what fits you and use it in advance. Don’t show up with new boots and a pack you shoved all your stuff in. Boots can be broken in hiking and put some weight in that pack and test all the adjustments. (Some need an engineering degree to figure out all those straps, you don’t want to be trying to figure that out in the dark). People love and hate the kifaru packs, not everyone likes that modular set up but they are definitely high quality.
I was looking at the kifaru duplex lite frame with the straight jacket bag. With the kulu I was thinking about the PRO LT 7000 FULL HUNTING PACK KIT. All I carry now while hunting is a Vietnam jungle lightweight rucksack so definitely going be a big difference especially going from hunting Florida terrain.

If you can find a place to try on different packs and e them in person that is always a huge plus. Probably not super likely in Florida but there is always a chance. There is a thread you might want to check out.

I was looking at the kifaru duplex lite frame with the straight jacket bag. With the kulu I was thinking about the PRO LT 7000 FULL HUNTING PACK KIT. All I carry now while hunting is a Vietnam jungle lightweight rucksack so definitely going be a big difference especially going from hunting Florida terrain.
I've looked at the straight jacket bag recently, it is similar to the horn hunter full curl that I have. I like that type of set up, but the problem I see is it doesn't seem to be a very efficient design for minimizing weight. Frame plus bag you're already about 6 pounds with the straight jacket, which is actually heavier than the full curl in that configuration, which is 5.7lbs. You will probably need at least a dry bag to add to it for multi day trips. I found I could come up with similar barebones type set ups as the straight jacket approach with Stone Glacier, Seek outside and Exo (sometimes a little mix and match of brands) that weigh less than 5 lbs, cost less than $650 and have ~3000-7000 ci of capacity. I haven't looked at Kuiu sorry.

However, as others said above, the most important part is how they fit you. Kifaru is a little heavier and more expensive than the others, but if it fits like a glove and the others don't it's probably worth the trade off. Just don't get one brand locked in your mind, find a way to check them out first if you can.

Hey guys

Planning a elk hunting trip this year for beginning of September and I'm researching gear. What's everyone's opinion on kifaru/kuiu gear. I don't personally know anyone that has done a elk hunt before so I've just been watching YouTube videos on gear. I know weight is a big factor with your gear and boots were talked about a lot
I wouldn't get too caught up in specific brands, as there are many good quality boots/packs/clothing options out there. The phrase "researching gear" can be the rabbit hole of all rabbit holes, so my advice would be if you can, get to a store to try on a pack that works for your trip duration and budget. If you are day hunting from a basecamp with a truck or two, you will need less volume/features. If you are packing in for a while, that changes things too -- think more volume, better framing and a load shelf like on a Mystery Ranch pack would be my priority. As with good boots, packs require the proper fit so you are not cursing it on day 3 as it digs into your shoulders and hips. Also, if need be, look outside of the hunting world for gear -- lots of good packs (no load shelf but that's OK) out there from other brands like Osprey, Gregory, etc.

My focus for you for a first-time elk hunt would be:
boots
pack
clothing

While not gear related, don't overlook fitness. You don't mention which state, but chasing elk in the high country of pretty much any western state can be a humbling experience, and your fitness may be the thing that makes or breaks the hunt.

I wouldn't get too caught up in specific brands, as there are many good quality boots/packs/clothing options out there. The phrase "researching gear" can be the rabbit hole of all rabbit holes, so my advice would be if you can, get to a store to try on a pack that works for your trip duration and budget. If you are day hunting from a basecamp with a truck or two, you will need less volume/features. If you are packing in for a while, that changes things too -- think more volume, better framing and a load shelf like on a Mystery Ranch pack would be my priority. As with good boots, packs require the proper fit so you are not cursing it on day 3 as it digs into your shoulders and hips. Also, if need be, look outside of the hunting world for gear -- lots of good packs (no load shelf but that's OK) out there from other brands like Osprey, Gregory, etc.

My focus for you for a first-time elk hunt would be:
boots
pack
clothing

While not gear related, don't overlook fitness. You don't mention which state, but chasing elk in the high country of pretty much any western state can be a humbling experience, and your fitness may be the thing that makes or breaks the hunt.
Colorado is where we are going for first time elk hunt. We live in Florida. Only store that I've found any gear was bass pro and options were slim

You don't have to buy a hunting pack. You will likely be able to find somewhere in Florida a backpacking store that will have frame packs. I would be reluctant to buy without trying it first. Buying a couple or three and sending them back is also an option.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough that you DO NOT need gear that's branded for hunting in order to go hunting, ESPECIALLY for a first-time hunt. And for the love of all that's holy, you don't need to wear modern camo. "Hunting" brands are masterful at marketing, but don't fall into their trap of thinking that the $$ you spend is proportional to the chances of having the trip of a lifetime and maybe taking an animal while you're at it.

I would prioritize gear investments in the following order:
  1. Boots. Real talk. The ability to keep yourself safe in the wildlands is almost entirely dependent on your ability to walk, so feet issues can turn an otherwise lovely trip into a serious safety/emergency situation. You by no means need to spend a fortune on the latest and greatest mountain hunting boots, but get yourself something of good quality and make sure you test them out / break them in before you go. You will want boots that are designed for heavy backpacking, not those intended for stand-hunting whitetails and you will not need insulated boots (unless your guide / the locals recommend it for your particular area).
  2. Clothing/Layers. Like with boots, your clothing system is the primary means by which you keep yourself alive in the mountains. You will need a good baselayer (wool-synthetic blends are my personal preference, but merino wool does a great job too) top and bottoms, some comfortable hiking pants, an insulating jacket (how insulating depends highly in the expected weather, but you'll certainly need at least a sweater or light puffy jacket), and a rain/wind shell. You will also need a hat of some kind, and possible gloves if your hunt area is going to be cold.
  3. Optics. Since you asked about Kifaru and Kuiu, you may have this covered already but I can't not mention it. A solid pair of 8 or 10 power binos is the single most important tool you'll carry for elk hunting. I prefer the 10x42 format, but there are lots of good options on the market. I would lean on local intel as to whether you need a spotting scope or not. I suspect you don't need one, but if you do, I would look at renting. Or, decide that birdwatching in FL is going to be your drug of choice and invest some (substantial) money in glass.
  4. Shelter (if needed). Depending on the weather and the style of hunt, you can really get away with cheap shelter gear. Even very cheap tents will be solidly waterproof for the first few nights. However, if you're planning to sleep further from your vehicle than you can walk if the weather destroys your tent in the middle of the night, you'll need to make sure you have reliable gear.
  5. Weapon systems. I'm sure you have this covered; the point is that this comes before the pack.
  6. Pack. By placing it at the bottom, I certainly don't mean to say that your pack is not important. You'll need to be able to carry all your gear (and hopefully some meat) in a comfortable-enough way to keep you out hunting. Here are some things to keep in mind:
    1. The popular hunting packs a la Kifaru/Kuiu/SG/MR/etc are designed for carrying VERY heavy loads for VERY long distances -- in other words, they are designed for mountain hunters who take animals very far away from the nearest road. The price you pay for that ability is cost, complexity, and specificity (meaning that the pack is a headache to use for anything besides mountain big game hunting). If you don't plan to shoot an elk 5+ miles from the nearest road, then you can get away with a MUCH cheaper, MUCH more multifunctional pack.
    2. If you're a reasonable distance from a road, you can make lots of smaller trips, thus negating the need for a fancy hunting frame pack. I was carrying a 32L Osprey day pack when I shot my first mule deer, and I made it work. I was less than a mile from my truck though.
    3. Many a mountain hunter will confirm that a large-capacity (70+ liters) backpacking pack will do the job just fine. Two years ago I upgraded from my Osprey Aether to a Myster Ranch hunting pack. I adore my MR, don't get me wrong, but I also did just fine with my Aether for many years and many animals. My main hunting partner for the Washington High Buck hunt (mule deer in the North Cascades wilderness areas) still uses his Aether and does just fine. The benefit of this is that it's cheaper, lighter, and more comfortable for backpacking and other uses, and it comes with an unlimited, transferrable lifetime warranty. (Pro tip - things with transferrable lifetime warranties hold their resale value, so if you don't like it you can always sell it and recoup a considerable portion of the costs).
Final thoughts:
  • If you'll be outside of cell service, please please please carry a satellite beacon like the Spot or InReach. I am on my local mountain rescue team, and I can tell you with certainty that many people are alive today because they were carrying one, and many others would be if they had been. They're worth their weight in gold.
  • Boots, Packs, Clothing, and even optics are highly dependent on fit. If you can make it to an REI or similar store, they'll have some decent boot and clothing options for you to try on. They obviously won't have frame packs, but they'll have some backpacking pack options for you.
  • Don't forget your game bags, and carry more than 4 if you don't plan on carrying a quarter of an elk at a time.

Last edited:
Being in FL, I'd recommend you go to your nearest REI and get fitted for an internal frame pack in your price range and desired capacity and begin doing overnight camping trips with as much topography as you can find. That could be the Ozarks or Carolinas or the Appalachian trail. Just do it. ASAP

igp7056s4a361.jpg

When you can backpack 3 plus days just hiking and not feel like a Burmese POW, start evaluating what is working in your kit.

There is a pretty good chance if you don't like the back packing, that you won't be an effective back pack hunter. If so then at least you have a backpack that has some resale value outside of the hunting community.

I mean Steiny isn't wrong :).

+1 for getting gear on your back and hiking up and down hills. There is no workout substitute for hiking on rough terrain.

You would definitely look cool all decked out on Kuiu or Sitka gear.

You would definitely look cool all decked out on Kuiu or Sitka gear.
Well I quit wearing camo about 10 years ago. Blue jeans or green pants is about all I wear anymore for hunting, usually with a carharrt short or long sleeve shirt. For the days that Florida actually has cold weather I have carharrt insulated pants and a moss green chore coat

Well I quit wearing camo about 10 years ago. Blue jeans or green pants is about all I wear anymore for hunting, usually with a carharrt short or long sleeve shirt. For the days that Florida actually has cold weather I have carharrt insulated pants and a moss green chore coat
While I agree camo isn't a necessity...a camo top doesn't hurt.

I'd strongly advise against jean and standard green pants and carhartts...all of that stuff is likely cotton. You will get sweaty and chafe with that stuff. Search out something better. Merino tops...maybe something thin and then something to layer on top for morning hunts. I've had a lot of luck with Wrangler Outdoors Flex Pants as well as Prana Zion Stretch. They are durable and dry quickly. They aren't great for very cold situations though. Just about anything is better than jeans and carhartts

For sizing: be aware that Kuiu and Kifaru stuff runs small (sometimes laughably small). Sitka seems to be true to size and First Lite runs a touch on the large side (though probably not enough to justify a complete size change)

While I agree camo isn't a necessity...a camo top doesn't hurt.

I'd strongly advise against jean and standard green pants and carhartts...all of that stuff is likely cotton. You will get sweaty and chafe with that stuff. Search out something better. Merino tops...maybe something thin and then something to layer on top for morning hunts. I've had a lot of luck with Wrangler Outdoors Flex Pants as well as Prana Zion Stretch. They are durable and dry quickly. They aren't great for very cold situations though. Just about anything is better than jeans and carhartts

For sizing: be aware that Kuiu and Kifaru stuff runs small (sometimes laughably small). Sitka seems to be true to size and First Lite runs a touch on the large side (though probably not enough to justify a complete size change)
Ill take a look at the merino tops and thr wrangler flex pants thank you for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back