Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Equipment questions

Are you doing a backpack hunt or simply hunting with a backpack on carrying day hunt necessities and having the ability to pack meat?

Steve Speck at Exo Mountain Gear has a recent video doing a ‘pack dump‘ of his elk hunting gear. Exo also has some good information on their blog including a gear spreadsheet and some nutritional information.

Stone Glacier has a video of Kurt and the contents of his pack and there are other ‘pack dumps’ on their website and YouTube channel.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the Stone Glacier offerings and I like the guys at Stone Glacier and their customer service is second to none.

If you decide to go non hunting brand and want a solid pack at a bargain price, find a used REI XT85 or Dana Designs on Craigslist or marketplace

Both brands have good equipment and some loyal customers. Packs, shelters, clothing… really all of it is a personal decision. There is so much good equipment out there. The “best” gear will be whatever works best for you… and that may take some time and trial/error to figure out.

Good luck on your first elk hunt. I hope it’s a great experience!

Both brands have good equipment and some loyal customers. Packs, shelters, clothing… really all of it is a personal decision. There is so much good equipment out there. The “best” gear will be whatever works best for you… and that may take some time and trial/error to figure out.

Good luck on your first elk hunt. I hope it’s a great experience!
Thank you....is there any place in Colorado that has packs we can try. Planning on a scouting trip in June

Thank you....is there any place in Colorado that has packs we can try. Planning on a scouting trip in June
I would look at ordering online, as mentioned already by someone, and returning what doesn’t work for you if your set on a new pack. Used packs are an option too… lots of good ones out there at a discount.

Kifaru and Seek Outside are both out of Colorado, along with a bunch of nonhunting packs, Stone Glacier has dealers in CO as well, guessing you could find mystery ranch too. No shortage of backpacks in CO.

Colorado is where we are going for first time elk hunt. We live in Florida. Only store that I've found any gear was bass pro and options were slim
1643755243461.png
Try on all their backpacking packs. Then buy a used one on ebay for 1/2 price.

Edit: You only need two shirts (one to wear in and one in your pack), one pair of pants (wear in), and some insulating layers and raingear (also good for warmth and wind).

We're all gear snobs to some degree, but you could effectively equip yourself for under $700 and be warm and happy.

Also, SAY NO TO COTTON

Last edited:
View attachment 210850
REI is a great place to buy boots too, great return policy. Or you could try on all their boots and see if you can find the same model on Sierra Trading Post for cheap. They usually have some good deals on Asolo, Scarpa, and others.

I'd recommend you start this month, not wait until June for hiking with a backpack for the first time. Especially in the southeast.
Yeah unfortunately living I'm Florida and my work schedule wont let me.plus I'm still chasing deer down here for another 2 weeks lol

I was looking at the kifaru duplex lite frame with the straight jacket bag. With the kulu I was thinking about the PRO LT 7000 FULL HUNTING PACK KIT. All I carry now while hunting is a Vietnam jungle lightweight rucksack so definitely going be a big difference especially going from hunting Florida terrain.
Found this today on Craigslist, no affiliation.

You can get away with any hiking backpack as suggested, but the load hauling capability of a hunting pack is hard to beat. I just switched from a small backpack/frame pack combo to a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. If I got an animal I would hike out get the empty frame and head back in (not too far usually). But after the switch it is so nice to load up a hind or two for the first hike out and then come back for more without the rest of the gear. If we were planning on going deeper we would stash the empty frames on the mountain somewhere and get them when needed.

I used a Seek Outside bag on a Stone Glacier frame and I hated the sea bag style. I like pockets and access. My buddies use EXO packs and they love them, I found a deal on my MR or I would have bought an EXO. Good luck on your hunt.

For clothing, I think pants are the one thing I’ve struggled to find cheaper from hiking/backpacking/mountaineering companies. It’s hard for me to find the fit and features I like outside the hunting market. For upper body layers, I have a bunch of different hunting/mountain clothing, but I do 90% of my hunting in September wearing a synthetic T shirt and some kind of grid fleece quarter zip with a packable hard shell jacket and down jacket in my pack. If you’re patient with sales you can find all of that for a good price.

View attachment 210850

Edit: You only need two shirts (one to wear in and one in your pack), one pair of pants (wear in), and some insulating layers and raingear (also good for warmth and wind).

We're all gear snobs to some degree, but you could effectively equip yourself for under $700 and be warm and happy.

Also, SAY NO TO COTTON
Thanks I've got to go to st augustine 2morrow,I'll add it to my stop

Well I quit wearing camo about 10 years ago. Blue jeans or green pants is about all I wear anymore for hunting, usually with a carharrt short or long sleeve shirt. For the days that Florida actually has cold weather I have carharrt insulated pants and a moss green chore coat
I think you'll find the Carharrt stuff is tough to backpack with. It is heavy and doesn't pack up small enough and doesn't breathe or protect from weather all that well (most of it at least).

Boots are definitely the most important next to clothing that will keep you dry but also comfortable. Backpack is essential to keeping your shoulders, back, hips from aching after miles and miles. Bass Pro/cabelas actually has a decent inhouse pack/frame that you can probably try on and give a shot for your first trip.

What can borrow? Do you know a guy with extra/old (to them old) gear that you can use? I have borrowed a rifle and a pack before. I also loaned out my rifle a few times.

What can borrow? Do you know a guy with extra/old (to them old) gear that you can use? I have borrowed a rifle and a pack before. I also loaned out my rifle a few times.
No unfortunately I don't know anyone that has elk hunted. This is going to be first year and a very big learning experience. But I did order a pack/frame, the k3 4800 pack system from exomtngear.

OP for the name brand gear you are looking at , the price tag is getting awful close to the price of a guided hunt....

Kinda like me asking what kind of boat and light to get to go bowfishing in Florida....

OP for the name brand gear you are looking at , the price tag is getting awful close to the price of a guided hunt....

Kinda like me asking what kind of boat and light to get to go bowfishing in Florida....
I don't what a guide hunt goes for but I've got $2k figured up for gear..I got the setup for bowfishing whenever your ready to go 👍🏻

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back