Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Equipment questions

No unfortunately I don't know anyone that has elk hunted. This is going to be first year and a very big learning experience. But I did order a pack/frame, the k3 4800 pack system from exomtngear.

Here is a holster built for that pack if you were planning on carrying a gun.

https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/

With different clips it can be run on other packs as well. Fits my Mystery Ranch just fine.

Rumor has it an EMG logo run is in the works!

FWIW...Get the core/basic gear sorted and keep it as simple as possible and be done with the gear part of the prep.

The HOW is significantly more important than the rest and what matters.

You mentioned you know no one who hunts or has hunted elk. Good news is that Randy does and he has a lot of videos out there. We‘re in a different era and the resources online to shorten the ‘how’ exist. Learn the ‘how‘ the best you can between now and your hunt. Elknut, Chris Roe and elk101 are all good resources. Lotta good podcasts too.

FWIW...Get the core/basic gear sorted and keep it as simple as possible and be done with the gear part of the prep.

The HOW is significantly more important than the rest and what matters.

You mentioned you know no one who hunts or has hunted elk. Good news is that Randy does and he has a lot of videos out there. We‘re in a different era and the resources online to shorten the ‘how’ exist. Learn the ‘how‘ the best you can between now and your hunt. Elknut, Chris Roe and elk101 are all good resources. Lotta good podcasts too.
Definitely will look into them👍🏻. Yeah all me and my do is chase whitetail turkey and coyotes all over Florida and into Alabama.

The best gear from any maker will leave you upset, injured, or worse if you don't give yourself time to break it in and get used to it. Many elk hunts have been a disaster because a hunter pulled a pair of boots out of the box the day before they hit the trailhead.

The best gear from any maker will leave you upset, injured, or worse if you don't give yourself time to break it in and get used to it. Many elk hunts have been a disaster because a hunter pulled a pair of boots out of the box the day before they hit the trailhead.
I plan to start using them as soon as they get to my house. I do a lot of walking in the woods on my off days so hopefully I can get them broke in. Worst case I don't like them and can get another pair to try, but I hope to get it right with the first pair

I plan to start using them as soon as they get to my house. I do a lot of walking in the woods on my off days so hopefully I can get them broke in. Worst case I don't like them and can get another pair to try, but I hope to get it right with the first pair
Ditto those who are saying to go to REI. Even if you don't buy from them. A session in their pack department will be a real education.

My son bought a pack from REI for a trip to Nepal about 10 years ago. The pack broke while he was there. REI set up the warranty replacement pack to his measurements on file, UPSed it to Katmandu with a return RMA shipping label in the box. He still uses that replacement pack.

In a thread like this you will get a lot of brand names thrown at you. The best strategy is to try as many as you can and go with what works best at the time. You do your best. If later, you end up with another brand, that's where most of us here have been, too. Don't burn up your prep time pining over the perfect when the good will work.

I see you are planning to pack the elk out on your backs. I see similar posts pretty often so now I'm going to take the bait.

I think you've been given good advice regarding boots and packs but just keep in mind that it's going to be absolutely miserable packing out no matter what you do.

I am of the same mindset as many, get what works no matter the brand. Some of the best down clothing is not from hunting suppliers, same for all the backpacking gear.

Personally I don't know how the hosts on the TV programs look so nice and clean. When I come out of the mountains I look like an absolute wreck, my clothes always need sewing and I'm mismatched but the game don't know any better. Be glad you don't have to stick to the products of your sponsors because that means you can use what's best. I see some people using equipment that is absolute junk because they are being paid to use it.

I'm going to be posting a video on a new thread soon with my setup but it by no means is the only way to go. Keep an eye out for it.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you can't pack an elk out 5-6 miles on your back. You can if you're mentally prepared but this is what I would do if I were you...

This is your first elk hunt. It's safe to say you're going to be excited to kill any legal bull. It's only March so there is still time to apply and pick up OTC tags, leftovers or returns. I have no clue where you are planning to go, but don't get stuck on any one area. Where I hunt elk, the bulls know where every road and trail are and steer clear of them. There are no free lunches where I hunt OTC elk so you have to work for them. But you can be creative. You can take multiple vehicles and drop yourselves off at the top of mountains and walk down to another rig, you can float rivers or jet boat, pack raft, wade across rivers or you can just be the toughest hunter out there. I've done it all and where I hunt elk on an OTC tag is nothing short of a logistical nightmare. Every year it gets more complicated but life gets a little bit easier.

My first elk hunt I did it alone. The plan was to backpack in and haul the thing out on my back. I thought I needed to hike 12 miles in the wilderness to see elk and thank goodness I spotted a herd of elk only 8 miles in. I'm even more thankful I missed my opportunity at that herd because as I was walking out I spotted a bull only 2 miles from the rig. Which I killed and packed out in record time because the heat. I lost 15 pounds that trip and I didn't have a pound to lose, I looked like a skeleton.

My buddies who canceled on me that first trip now had proof I wasn't crazy and all the sudden wanted to go hunt elk. Now at least I had buddies. But extra bodies don't do you any good when you each kill a bull. For several trips we did the same thing - pack them out on our backs. Many of them were actually 8 miles in, across rivers up and over mountains. It takes about 3 days to get them out when you pack one alone. We swear we'll never do it again and there we are every fall.

We wanted to get more creative so we started bringing waders, wetsuits, packing in rafts to cross rivers to access locations that others wouldn't want too. We'd also drop ourselves off the tops of mountains. But the meat still came out on our backs.

We then switched to river rafting. Now these rivers aren't the lazy lagoon, this was whitewater. River rafting is a good way to access untapped areas but the elk aren't often at the river. You still have to lump them off the mountains to the river raft. You also have to know how to river raft.

Our next plan is to have part of the group river raft, and others walk llamas along the river. The llamas will help get the elk off the mountain. Once at the waters edge the meat can be rafted out and someone leads the llamas weightless back to the rig and drive around and pick up the rafters. Why not just have the llamas pack the meat all the way out? Because some places are 20-30 miles from the vehicle. Why the hassle? It can be done every year, relatively cheaply, and we never see any other hunters. No the bulls aren't breaking any records.

I'm not saying you need to run out and buy a raft. Every state and unit is different. This is just one example of a creative way of getting off the beaten path. If someone gave me an elk tag for a place I've never been or hunted I'd immediately start thinking about how I would do it a little different. Start thinking about gear beyond the basics that will set you apart from the 17 other dudes at the trailhead. Don't just drive to the trailhead the day before opener and start hiking. Actually don't use a trailhead.

Hey guys

Planning a elk hunting trip this year for beginning of September and I'm researching gear. What's everyone's opinion on kifaru/kuiu gear. I don't personally know anyone that has done a elk hunt before so I've just been watching YouTube videos on gear. I know weight is a big factor with your gear and boots were talked about a lot
The first year is the most expensive year. Buy what fits best and don’t be timid about spending extra for quality stuff. Most of it will last much longer. I don’t use Kuiu but these Kifaru packs are in a league of their own regarding comfort and strength. Good luck!

Gear list as of right now

Exomtngear k3 4800 pack system

Kifaru super tarp with annex

Bluu solo backpacking cooker

Sawyer water filter system

Sleeping pad with built-in pillow

0 degree hyke & byke sleeping bag

Sounds like it is going to be a great trip. I always carry a redundant system to purify water in case my primary system gets broke or lost. I really like the Steripen. It is also a little handier if you want to top off a water bottle without breaking out a filter.

Yep, agree with Willy Dee about two methods for water. I always carry a bottle of purification tablets. Lightweight and super simple.

If you can afford some more shipping costs, you may try two or three at once and return the ones you don't want. Backpack

Last edited:
I'd recommend you start this month, not wait until June for hiking with a backpack for the first time. Especially in the southeast.
I read this entire thread for the first time.
OP listen to this man's advice.
The gear won't help( except boots) if you don't condition your body and mind FIRST.

Heading out west for my first western hunt this fall too. I’m trying not to put a lot of money into it before I know if I’ll like it and go back. I paid good money for my boots. I bought a TideWe frame pack for 50$ on eBay. It’s a pretty solid frame and with a few minor adjustments and changes it fits me well.

As above, figure out what fits you and use it in advance. Don’t show up with new boots and a pack you shoved all your stuff in. Boots can be broken in hiking and put some weight in that pack and test all the adjustments. (Some need an engineering degree to figure out all those straps, you don’t want to be trying to figure that out in the dark). People love and hate the kifaru packs, not everyone likes that modular set up but they are definitely high quality.

Brand isn’t that important. Go to your local sporting goods store and try stuff on. That includes packs. Walk around the store with it on and try all the various functions of your gear before you buy it.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back