Elk Photos

Greenhorn, That first one of your bull piled into the trees reminds me of mine. Had to do some logging just to move him.

Attachments

• ELK 001.jpg
    ELK 001.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 300
cowboy.jpg

Here's one from a ways back of a well known hunt talker!. Nice face paint!. Definitely a character defining hunt!

Attachments

• Buzz_1991002.jpg
    Buzz_1991002.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 274
BRI,

Any of these look familiar?

I remember this morning..."lets not shoot any spikes!". That lasted 2 seconds while I wailed away at this spike...I missed, you didnt.

buzzelk4.JPG

If I remember right didnt you kill this bull with CD?

briansbull.JPG

I also think you may have helped our "luckiest elk hunter on the planet" friend pack this one:

joesbull.JPG

You screwed up though...you should have helped him with this one like I did...20 foot drag to the truck:

joeselk.JPG

Buzz - Yep I remember that spike. In fact I was just looking at the picture I have of that spike and your gramp's elk.

That one with CD was a bad deal.....Was on Thanksgiving day 1989. Closed down the bar, went to breakfast, went home grabbed the gear, picked up CD and headed out. Got back into town and decided to drive to Gram's house for dinner. Fell asleep on the interstate....woke up to this thumping noise..(truck was taking out reflectors). Sure used up one of my lives that day.

That pack of Joe's was bad. Good thing I was young and dumb and didn't know any better!

BRI,

You...close down a bar in 1989??? I dont believe that. Must have been close to the same year we closed down the bar in G-falls, went to that house party with those tramps, and then took off antelope hunting. I remember driving North out of Great Falls with both windows down, the radio blasting...and still not hardly being about to keep my eyes open...funny stuff.

Wish I had a couple photos of those two hog bulls Joe shot...frickin' lucky bastage.

I've not seen that photo of you and your Dad...that is a good photo. They dont get much better than your Dad...great guy.

Last edited:
I just hope I am lucky enough to draw an Elk tag this year. First time trying.....

thread-delivers.jpg

Here are pics of the only elk I have taken. I have been fortunate enough enough to take three in two years.

2008 CO - My first bull and I was pumped!
IMG_0018.jpg

2009 AZ
IMG_0143.jpg

2009 NM
IMG_0504.jpg

Have you heard of the old saying "10% of the hunters kill 90% of the elk"? I used to agree with that philosophy until this thread started. I will now modify it, "Greenhorn and Buzz kill 90% of the elk. Everyone else gets to fight over the other 10%!!"

I feel fortunate to have knocked over a few in the last two years that somehow escaped you two.

Buschy,
I think you are close. I think Greenhorn kills 90% of ALL critters and the rest of us fight over what ever is left :)

Here is the first elk I killed, it was also my first elk hunt. It was in New Mexico in a wilderness unit. This was day 6 of 8, what an eye opener for a flat lander from ND. Learned a ton, had a blast and at that point on I realized what it meant to be in shape for backpack hunting.

Attachments

• 010_10.jpg
    010_10.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 254
1st time in NM, the Gila WIlderness. 4 of us plus horses and mules, 4 bulls arrowed in 4 days.
NMPackout.jpg

Mikes1999NMElk.jpg

PeachesNM.jpg

I rolled my ATV over me a few weeks before the opener and separated my shoulder. I was shooting my bow at 53 lbs and could barely draw it. The terrorist above called this one into point blank range for me.
Kurts1997MTElk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back