Elk Mount in progress....

Moosie

Grand poopa
You guys remember the elk mount I wanted to do with 2 aspen trees and a water feature and a 1/2 body. Well, It got started. I should probably wait for it to be done prior to posting but I like watching the work in progress and am sharing it with you as it goes. (Like the AK duck mount) I've been there about 4 times in the last 2 weeks and probably going to be there 2-3 more times over the next 2 weeks .

I didn't take any pictures of them cutting up the form and working on it but they did alot of that to get the turn how I wanted. Here it is after the form had been adjusted and the base starting to come together. Notice the frame on the bottom. At first we were going to do a square wood finish frame to roll in and out of places but it ended up big. we even made the antlers removable to move it in and out of places better.

1elk.jpg

Here is a picture from the right side with blue outline after rethinknig the base :

2elk.jpg

Here is a picture from the front with a couple bushes next to it for ideas :

3elk.jpg

This is the top were the water will come out. the rock is pretty cool. It comes in sheets and they take the sheet pannels and break them and then foam it all torether to make it look liek rocks. so no mount looks the same even if it has the same pannel bought.

4elk.jpg

We went with a 2 part base (3 counting the Water basin. Here you can see the dirt part (Or future dirt part) and the rock that will slide up to it. The elk will be dropped into the holes as seen in picture.

5elk.jpg

Here is the rock without the elk on it. You can see the shape of the rock where the elk will be coming around it. If you look in the previous picture you will see the water dissapears under a rock ledge. After it's Fiberglassed up I will show that a little better.

6elk.jpg

It will sit in the mount coming around the rock jsut like this :

7elk.jpg

Hide was put on today :

8elk.jpg

It should have it's first water run next Monday I think. There are still a couple Ideas I'm kicking around. We'll have a removeable rock to see the water level in the basin somehow. A welding company is coming out tomorrow to measure and cousom make a basin to fit the roundish mold. It will all be tucked under the rock. I am also kicking around the idea of adding a tree branch coming out of the Rock on the Right side looking at it that will have a Chipmunk on it. We'll see.

Anyway.... not done yet but tis coming together. Be honest Ney sayers, am I wasting 5g's ? OAK..... I know you'll speak up "Mr Anti 1/2 body with rock" guy !! *SMILE*

If anyone is in the area swing by Imperial Taxidermist and take a upclose and personal look at it. Tell Mitch I sent you to pay the bill ;)

Well when you were describing what you wanted I thought it was gonna look stupid. I was....... actuallly, looking at the pics you have I think it is going to look pretty good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Nice but....which kid are you gonna kick out of his room to put that thing in :eek::eek:;)

Mrs. Moosie is either a WONDERFUL woman or has built up sooooo many points she is never gonna catch back up....

Lookin' good and can't wait to see the finished product.

Just curious, what are you plans if somebody finds out you have been brainwashing your wife? ;)

I think it's going to look good, Oscar! How are you going to get it in the house? Or is it going to live permanently at the local Sportsman's Warehouse? ;)

LOL. The Plants will be attached to the mount. It still has alot of work to finalize it. thats also why I didn't take take a close picture of the elk. It's full of pins and cardboard ;)

On the Mount, it will come appart so it fits through a 36" door. the dirt base that the elk stands on in one piece, the Rock is one piece and can be angled in, the antlers are detachable and the elk can slip through the door.

I think it's going to come out good. I like the direction it's going. More pictures Monday.

PS< My wife and me have an understanding. I'm just not sure all of the implications of the understanding ;) The mount will go down at my moms house for awhile.

I admit I was skeptical but I can't wait to see the final product. I think the previews look good!

Thanx KimLJ and others.

Hell NMH, I'm always skeptical :)

No, the gi-raff is gunn be separate from the Elk, but it won't be far away from it ;)

Looks great,even more special when you can stop in and look at it from time to time.

Yah... I heard they are setting the fiberglas today to water seal it and adding the "dirt". I think Monday is the test run on water.

It's a great looking mount Oscar....but why a Ficus and why does it look more like Daffodils? Wouldn't something like giant sage brush or Mountain Mahongany or even cliff rose or a pine tree work better? Oops.. is that Aspen? Never thought of maybe yellow aspen.. Is that what it is?
:cool:

Definitely better than I expected from the original description! Just wait till the boys get to splashing that water all over the elk... :D

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back