Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk hunting in lion country

nwihunter

I just wanted to get the thoughts of experienced elk hunters that hunt in lion country and have had run ins with lions while elk hunting. I’ve only been on 2 western hunts and had an encounter with a lion 3 times in one evening. The closest being about 20 yds. I read and hear a lot of stories about hunting in grizz country but not much on lions. Is the threat of a lion attack something I should worry about? It was definitely on my mind for the rest of my hunt after running into that lion. Where I hunt and live in Indiana I’m pretty much the top predator the minute I step out of my truck. Not the case out west. If it matters at all I was hunting in Colorado for the last 2 weeks of archery season.

Attachments

• C12368E0-3FCF-497C-9798-0C4CA0BF275F.jpeg
    C12368E0-3FCF-497C-9798-0C4CA0BF275F.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
I used to live, as well as hunt in lion country (Arizona). Never worried much about them. They were around all the time, and a couple of times, they put tracks on top of my tracks. People do get attacked and even killed by them but it is even rarer than being killed by a whitetail.

Generally not too concerned about them hiking or hunting. I have only been nervous one time and that was when one started screaming at us from right above us on a canyon wall when we were hiking out one night after fishing. Maybe we got too close to a kill or something. Weird feeling. At least we believe it was a cat. Terrible sound. We have quite a few cats in the hills out here but I don't think anyone worries much about them until they start going into town.

My brother is a biologist and was loading up his gear in the dark. He got in his pickup, turned on the lights and there was a cat right there in front of the truck. Never even knew it was there. He has a lot of cat sightings/encounters as one would expect for someone who spends 200+ days a year in the forest.

Ive hunter MT my whole life and only ever saw one lion. Actually it was 2 at one time. But ive come down the trail many times and seen lion tracks in my tracks. I always buy a tag, but i dont even think about them.

I used to hunt whitetails in the black hills with a lot of cat sign. Once in a while I would psych myself out in low light conditions but clearly nothing ever happened. I saw a few but I always assumed they avoided me as much as I avoided them!

I hunt both Elk and lion regularly. I have seen a couple when not truely “hunting them”. My closet was about 10 feet when our trails merged in decent wind and snow. We both were surprised. At first I thought of the old cartoons where I would look like a ham or chicken. In the end after about a few seconds she ran off. They are more scared if you than you are are them. While they are the apex predator besides a grizz there is more than enough game around for them. At the end of the day if a lion does want to eat you you’ll never know. They won’t attack head on like a bear. Lots of times bears will fake charge or try to show strength. If a lion comes after you they are not playing nice kitty.

Read Path of the Puma if you're interested in learning more about lions. In 40 years of hunting elk and deer in lion country. I think i've seen 5. Always a treat. I'm sure many, many more have seen me. An armed human has little to fear from lions. One tried to eat a Lab pup we had tied to the axle of a camper. I was sleeping in the camper at the time. That was kinda sporty. But no harm done to anyone involved.

I've never given any thought to lions. But I guess if someone had a few experiences like yours it would probably change their thinking.

I do know a guy that's taken 2 while elk hunting, one with a bow, and he said both knew he was there and were showing a bit of interest in him.

They are curious. I have yet to see one in the wild but have seen sign and no doubt the have checked me out without me knowing.

I've always wanted to see one, but still haven't. I've seen tracks many times, once on top of my own, there was an attack right across the street from my house (when I lived in Montana), but no dice yet.

I did not think there is such a thing as hunting elk when you are NOT in lion country. It doesn’t garner a second thought for me.

You can be sure it's lion country if there are elk and deer in the area. I've never them a thought.

Lived in Lion country all my life,Never have seen one(50+yrs) Az. born and raised.They always seem to be close by.I have often found thier tracks on top of mine while back trailing.If they want you,game over!They seem to be more curious than harmful.and then again?:cool:

Probably better off worrying about being struck by lightening on a clear day, than pounced on by a cat. I see a cat about every other year or so.

I've called in a couple while spring bear hunting. Also called in one while guiding an archery elk hunt, which was possibly as close to dangerous as I've had. I was laying in some grass, calling for about 10 minutes while the hunter was posted up about 40 yards away. When I was done calling I stood up and saw the lion running full speed away from me at less than 20 yards. We never saw him coming, and I'm not sure how close he got to me.

I've glassed up cats while hunting bears in the spring on several occasions, one time 3 of them feeding on a dead deer. They all looked like adults, but I'm assuming it was a female and 2 nearly full grown kittens. I walked in on a sleeping cat a couple years ago and took some video of it from about 60 yards through my binos. I started making meow sounds and it stood up and slowly sneaked away.

I've bumped into cats walking toward me on a trail twice. First time was after a fresh snow in November of 2013, saw the tracks bolting from the trail, then unfortunately for the cat I had a tag. Saw one this year bolting from the trail also, but I had a bow, not a rifle.

I was once bear hunting with Spitz and on the drive home in the headlights we saw 2 adult cats wrestling in the middle of the road. One went left and the other right.

There are a lot more cats around that people think. I saw a pile of tracks this fall while hunting.

Attachments

• cat tracks.jpg
    cat tracks.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 243
I did not think there is such a thing as hunting elk when you are NOT in lion country. It doesn’t garner a second thought for me.

I'd like to see another live one, I haven't seen a lion in maybe 10 years but have seen lots of very fresh sign while hunting though. I'm actually going to pick up a tag and try tracking one in the fresh snow this week, we recently moved to a pretty high density zone and I think it would be a fun way to spend a morning...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back