MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk Antler repair-Mainbeam

bonedogg

A buddy of mine shot a good bull for our area a while ago but he was disappointed that the main beam was busted after the fifth point. We ended up hearing later on from another hunter that he had missed the bull and shot his main beam off. Of course what guy wouldn't want another 6-8 inches, but that was the plan. I've built one before and made some mistakes so it was time to see if I could improve.

first off, time to glue in some support. I utilized a 3/8" rod and gorilla glue. I used the handle of our cast iron fire pit to bend the rod to a similar fashion as the other side and drilled a hole in the main beam for the support.
daves Elk.jpg

I utilize apoxy sculpt, and built up the main beam. I'm kind of a loser this way but I always like to add some character to my points and this one I built a fold in it like it was damaged during growth. It works well to add some depth and texture to the final project once paint is applied and sanded.elk main beam repair- finished5.jpg

Outstanding job! I have to do this for my wife’s bull from last fall and your post was very helpful. Thank you.

What are you going to use to stain?

A few years back i was packing out a shed antler, and it wouldnt fit in my pack, i used a multi tool with a saw and i sawed it off, used a small wooden dowel and some JB weld and you wouldnt know it was ever broken unless you were looking for it.

I dont know why someone would want to "repair" something as cool as a broken tine or beam. i think broken antlers add to the character of a bull and a buck. This year i hunted with a friend and was next to him when he harvested what should have been a 9 point buck that only had 6 points still intact. by far the coolest deer I have ever seen taken.

your result sure looks good!

What's the story on the Sea Turtles?
My parents brought them home from Indonesia in 1982 when on vacation. We lived in Singapore at the time as my dad worked off-shore on the platforms in Thailand. Custom's stickers on the shells coming into Canada damaged the shells big time!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back