E-Bike legality in Montana.

mtmuley

I read through the E-Bike thread, and from what I understand, E-Bikes are illegal on roads and trails closed to motorized vehicles. Am I correct on this? mtmuley

From my understanding you are correct. I’ve been to a few trails heads this fall where it has stated, “non-motorized”. In addition to those signs I’ve seen a separate sign that clearly states, “No E-Bikes”.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/bdnf/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD601048

I read through the E-Bike thread, and from what I understand, E-Bikes are illegal on roads and trails closed to motorized vehicles. Am I correct on this? mtmuley

Pretty clear

Forest Service:
File Code: 2300/2350/7700
Subject: Electric Bikes and Trail Management

The Forest Service’s Travel Management Rule (TMR) and E-Bikes:
The TMR defines “motor vehicle” as “any vehicle which is self-propelled, other than:
(1) a vehicle operated on rails; and
(2) any wheelchair or mobility device, including one that is battery-powered, that is designed solely for use by a mobility-impaired person for locomotion, and that is suitable for use in an indoor pedestrian area.”
36 CFR 212.1. E-bikes have a motor, thereby are self propelled, and are not covered by the exceptions in the definition.
Therefore, e-bikes are motor vehicles and are subject to regulation under the TMR, which requires designation of National Forest System (NFS) roads, NFS trails, and areas on NFS lands for motor vehicle use. 36 CFR 212.51(a).

Direction on e-bikes was included in a response in the Federal Register notice for the final over-snow vehicle rule.

The response states: “New technologies that merge bicycles and motors, such as e-bikes, are considered motor vehicles under §212.1 of the TMR.” 80 Fed. Reg. 4503 (Jan. 28, 2015).

It certainly doesn't help that almost all the major newspapers in Montana ran an article wrongly stating they're legal to use on "all federal land".

I've been shocked at how many of those things I've seen in the backs of trucks this year. Haven't caught one in a wrong spot yet, but it's undoubtedly happening.

From the start, I've shared opposition towards, "motorized" e-bikes and find it almost worth laughing at the idea they are viewed a "non motorized" by BLM though it's not a laughable matter...

I do believe this would / may be a segue towards tangible discussions with the backcountry cyclists. Use the e-bike as the fall-guy (in a sense) to unify an interest for our public hand's use of our public lands.

I had my first encounter with e bikes last weekend, after hiking 3 miles in the dark there they were three of them! One ridden by a gentleman who looked 70+ years of age. Well they did stop to chat; the fella was 76 years old to be exact.
He made a comment that did get me thinking a bit, "without the aid of the electric bike he would not be able to participate in the hunt with his son and grandson", health issues. I was not thrilled to see them coming up the track that morning - but this did get me to think about this in a different way. This gentleman did not have the level of disability that would qualify him for a disabled hunter permit, yet he still wants to and can participate in the hunt with a little bit of assistance.
I had my left hip replaced last February and go under the knife for the right side in two weeks, I've been hiking and hurting for several years now. I may be joining the ranks of e bikers soon and have no issues with it at all if it can keep me in the mountains longer. Everyone's situation is different.

I had my first encounter with e bikes last weekend, after hiking 3 miles in the dark there they were three of them! One ridden by a gentleman who looked 70+ years of age. Well they did stop to chat; the fella was 76 years old to be exact.
He made a comment that did get me thinking a bit, "without the aid of the electric bike he would not be able to participate in the hunt with his son and grandson", health issues. I was not thrilled to see them coming up the track that morning - but this did get me to think about this in a different way. This gentleman did not have the level of disability that would qualify him for a disabled hunter permit, yet he still wants to and can participate in the hunt with a little bit of assistance.
I had my left hip replaced last February and go under the knife for the right side in two weeks, I've been hiking and hurting for several years now. I may be joining the ranks of e bikers soon and have no issues with it at all if it can keep me in the mountains longer. Everyone's situation is different.
Personally, if you have a disability or impaired mobility. I agree with them, but if you don't, I'm going too make fun of you.

If we replaced every instance of the word E bike in your post with the word “motorcycle”, would you feel differently?

If so,why?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back